Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Molly's mama

and some pics from inside....
1. evil laser eyed Molly!!! (Sassy figured out that the coffee table was a good hiding spot from the relentless Molly!)
2. silly Sassy
3. exhausted but still playing!!!
Attached Images

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:16 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh geez MW--

Those pictures are to die for. It's so hard to give advise on a forum as you are the only one that can experience their behaviors first hand.

Judging by the picture of Molly placing her paw on Sassy's neck, I would say O.K...I'm sold but as noted, you are the one ultimately that will have to make a decision.

Looking at all the pictures, my one Gryphon has just as much energy as Molly & Sassy combined. When we had Gryphon and our GRD, Bailey, they would both also play under the table, growl, snap, bark but it was just their way of having fun

It's nice that the Bylaw Officer is patient in allowing you to make a decision. Perhaps a sleep over should be the next step

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Live well, laugh often

Wow, that looks like a lot of adorable energy .

The fights mildly concern me but the playing sessions show some pretty good body language . Lots of dogs are more "touchy" indoors while playing as there are some personal space issues that don't factor in as much when playing outdoors. I think that would sort out in the next while and the energy levels should also settle down a bit as well.

You also need to be honest and think if she is going to fit into your lifestyle and determine if you think you can handle all that energy. Does Molly have a good level of training? Will you have the time and energy to devote to the training that that energy level will probably require? Do you go a lot of places that you would take both dogs with you and if so will that be manageable. I must admit that personally I like my combo of one hyper dog and one older mellow dog . I also often deal with my mom's dog which is my hyper dog's litter mate and it really is a lot of work but can also be a ton of fun sometimes .

What a super tough decision for you . I would definately give it a few more trys before making a decision. If it doesn't work then at least she got a good mental and fun break from the kennel and you will be able to provide the kennel with some more information on her mannerisms.

Old April 17th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well, I am not doggy smart, but I think there is hope since they played so well together and their body language in the picture looks like they had a blast together. Just like children can have some spats, so can our pets.

I hope it works out for you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Molly's mama

After much thought and discussion with family, friends, and fellow dog lovers (including some ouf YOU!), I have made the difficult decision that Sassy is not the match for us. :sad:
I thought it over a lot and something just didn't feel right about adopting her. She is a sweet dog who will make an excellent pet for someone, but just not for us right now.

This has been a real learning experience for us, and I have learned some valuable lessons:
1. it is going to take a very special dog to fit in with our family: likely a submissive, lower energy male. And we will have to meet this dog beforehand and spend lots of time with it before deciding!
2. I LOVE Molly and am so grateful everyday to have her in my life!! She may not be perfect but she has come a long ways, so I am proud of that!

Thanks everyone for your words of advice and encouragement. And sorry this wasn't happy adopting news, but in the end I had to make the decision that was best for us.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
After much thought and discussion with family, friends, and fellow dog lovers (including some ouf YOU!), I have made the difficult decision that Sassy is not the match for us. :sad:
I thought it over a lot and something just didn't feel right about adopting her. She is a sweet dog who will make an excellent pet for someone, but just not for us right now.

This has been a real learning experience for us, and I have learned some valuable lessons:
1. it is going to take a very special dog to fit in with our family: likely a submissive, lower energy male. And we will have to meet this dog beforehand and spend lots of time with it before deciding!
2. I LOVE Molly and am so grateful everyday to have her in my life!! She may not be perfect but she has come a long ways, so I am proud of that!

Thanks everyone for your words of advice and encouragement. And sorry this wasn't happy adopting news, but in the end I had to make the decision that was best for us.
Aw, that must have been a tough decision . I think it's great that you are taking this situation so seriously. I'll keep my and send out that Sassy gets adopted to the perfect family soon.

for you too, and you'll still keep us updated on this journey for a second dog right ?

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, I am so sorry, Mollywog, I was hoping she would be a great fit, but you must go with your instincts.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
-

Aww, I'm sorry as well since they looked so cute together.

But as L4H said, you must go with your instincts.

I'm sure Sassy will find the perfect forever home and with all the thought you are giving this I know you will find the perfect playmate for Molly as well.
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Sorry to hear it didn't feel right. I think trusting your gut is important and Sassy looks like such a sweetie I'm sure she'll find her forever home soon enough.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM
You can call me DOG!

So sorry to hear of the outcome Mollywog.

Soon enough, the right companion for Molly will appear but, it all takes time.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)