Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM

New to us but used dog house

Hi All, we scored a free dog house for Patches on the weekend. We went and picked it up, it needs new shingles and paint or siding, but it's insulated and extremely heavy! It took 4 adults to carry it from the truck to the spot we selected in our yard. Anyways, it is a used dog house, so I am looking for some tips on 'cleaning it out' and ways to help make it Patches' house. He may use it very little, I don't know. He is a inside dog, but LOVES being outside. A lot of days he won't come inside when my husband has to leave for work, so this way if it rains or a storm rolls in, he has some where he can go. It currently has some hay inside of it from the previous owner that I will sweep out, but what other things can I do to maybe remove anything left from the previous dog, smells, etc. I am guessing that the vinegar/alcohol mix would be good to spray it down with inside and out???
Thanks so much for your input!
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

My guess would be a good cleaning as you described, and then put in a bed for him and make sure you include some good stinky clothes of yours and your hubby. If it smells like his people he may be more inclined to love it! I'd also try to maybe feed him a few meals in it and give him treats in it, so he knows it's a good place to be. I would think it would be similar to crate training. Good luck to you with the new dog house.
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:30 PM

My hubby had mentioned to include some of our old clothes. Thanks!!!