Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Slave to Tonks

Question Irrational fear?

My little guys get neutered next month; I've been feeling quite paranoid and stressed out about it. I know that it's just a routine procedure but I'm so worried that something will go wrong. Perhaps this fear stems from the fact that I lost my first cat Ares last May. It was a huge loss and I still mourn his passing. I don't know. I love these guys so much and can't fathom losing them. Any words of advice? Can anyone help to calm this irrational fear I have?
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Kanis,it's not irrational,any surgery is scary,especially on our little guys.
But neutering is a zinch,I've had several cats neutered with no problems.
They'll be a little dopey afterwards,but that's all and of course a little lighter
So try not to worry,they'll be fine
They are really beautiful
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

My only advice, if you aren't already planning to, is have pre-surgery blood work done. Sometimes you have to request it as it's not necessarily automatic procedure for young cats. And of course it means the neuter costs are a bit more, so lots of people don't want it done for that reason. If nothing else, it establishes a good baseline for what your cats' blood profiles are when they're healthy, which can be a good reference if they should become ill later on.

Other than that, neutering is apparently one of the simplest and most routine surgical procedures. The incisions are so small that stitches aren't even needed. Here is a little synopsis for you: http://www.birch-dan.ca/Cat-Dog-Neuter.page

Good luck with the snip-snip!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

SCM,of course bloodwork to me is a given,I did not even think of mentioning it,I am glad you did.
Good Luck with your beautiful boys Kanis
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

All I can say is that if you have faith in your vet and, as SCM says, have your pre surgery blood work done, then it shouldn't be much trouble.
I have had 21 done since last Dec. and another 3 going in next Sunday. Of those 11 have been males and 2 of the 3 that are going in on Sunday are male. It's normal to worry. I worry all the time but for males it's pretty easy! It literally is a very small procedure. My vet says if they are done early enough he hardly uses any antiseptic at all.

Just take a tranq on the day of the surgery and you won't feel a thing. j/k!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Slave to Tonks

Thanks everyone.

I didn't think about blood work before hand. I'll need to speak with my regular vet regarding it. The last time I went in, my vet was busy and so I was given a different one. Let's just say his bed side manner is the equivalent to House's. Curt, blunt and harsh. My paranoia comes from a fear that the anesthesia may have an adverse effect on them. Have your cats been sedated with gas or ketamine? I've heard that ketamine can have bad side effects on hybrid breeds like Tonkinese and Savannahs. Has anyone else read this before?

Last edited by kanis; September 7th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.