Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 25th, 2005, 10:08 AM
cat slave

cocker spaniel cherry eye and other breed health

Upon reading on different breeds i came across this litle piece of information regarding cocker spaniel health issues and this "cherry eye" problem.

In the dog breed books i read they have the health issues associated with the dog breed. And different books say different things. very confusing. While one book says dalmatians need low exercise, others say they need 10 out of 10 exercise lol.

My question though is about dog health. This may seem stupid to ask but bear in mind i haven't owned a "big" animal before....but what are the chances of the particular breed to actually get those diseases? Or are these avoided with regular vet checks?

What are the chances of a cocker spaniel getting a cherry eye?or what are the chances of a Sheltie going blind?

hope all your furries are happy and healthy
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM

For health issues there can be breeds that have a predisposition to ceratin ailments. Don't let this alarm you as it does many people. For good info go to established vet sites. For breed info the CKC site is fairly good. Also speak to breeders of the animal inquestion. As far as dalmations.....they do need a great deal of activity without question!
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
<-----nut ball

I can tell you this. THere is nothing you can do to prevent cherry eye. Either they will get it or not. It's all random. Good eye care will make correcting it easier though, because if it's caught right as it pops out, there is a better chance that surgery will work if done right away.

My dog has cherry eye in both eyes. He also has dry eye. His owners left him at the shelter because of this, as it was expensive to fix. If they had got pet insurance and got it fixed right away, they wouldn't have had any problems. Instead, he didn't get treatment for dry eye and got ulcers from the dry eye and cherry eye, has had 2 surgeries already, and is going for a third now.
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:40 PM
cat slave

what's the cost for such an eye surgery?

i didn't know there's pet insurance....hmmm....