Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

2 New Clematis

I decided to buy a couple of new clematis this year...well I have bought one each year for a few yrs. I have alot of fence that is frost fence and I like to not have to look into the neighours yard. So I have been trying to cover it and what better way than a beautiful clematis.

Here are the 2 I bought..

First is the Star of India and Second is the Polish Star.

The first picture color is really way off..The one I have is more burgundy than purple but the second pic is exact.
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Do you have good luck with clematis, Winston? I can't get the darn things to grow. I love them, though, they're such a lovely climber if you can get them established!

So will they bloom this year, yet, or do they need a year or two to settle in before they flower?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:37 PM
You can call me DOG!

I too have tried to grow clematis. Previous owners to our house had white ones so I tried to plant two White Henry's mixed in with a red Blaze rose climber and no success.

So is the one you have a Polish Star, Winston? It's beautiful.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel I bought 1 that has a bloom already but generally they need at least 1 yr I think before they bloom.

I bought all the ones I have from a farmers market in Hamilton here from a lady that has a nursery flower shop type set up. They all were awesome. I saw her today and she finally told me she wont be getting anymore?? So I went elsewhere. I do have good luck except I always end up loosing the tags that come with them and can never remember whether to cut them back or not? clematis ar funny some you trim and some you just leave them.

My biggest is spread out across about 6 feet of fence and its the Nelly Moser..sort of pinky purple...really pretty. I also planted beside it a Duke of Edinborough and that one is white and its a double...really nice..

I am really excited to see the blood red one I bought last year. I forget the name of it now but it didnt bloom last year and this year there are lots of blooms.....

I will take some pics for you Hazel when they bloom which wont be long now.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How can you have flowers when we're getting snow!

Sorry...that just slipped out. I guess I should be thankful I don't have anything planted yet.

I'm looking forward to those pictures, Winston!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Senior Contributor

That second one is gorgeous, Winston. About a month ago one nursery had lots of them here and I was so tempted, but so many have spoken of how you need just the right position/climate etc for them that I chickened out of buying one. It might be far too hot in Summer here perhaps. I'd love to see photo's of yours blooming. By the way, what is frost fence?
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Senior Contributor

all you really need to get them to grow is to shade their roots, either plant a low growing plant at their base or as I did, put a few rocks.....I have them all over the yard, sunny corners and sun/partially shaded
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

They are gorgeous, but like so many others here, I flopped when trying to grow them. I bought 4 when they were on sale at the garden center last year and they did actually start up the trellises I had set for them, but I admit I have the black thumb of death when it comes to gardening and this year..... clematis plants.

I tried taking the root portion of the 2 that fared better and transplanted them into a planter on my porch hoping that they may come back, but I am not too hopeful.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
all you really need to get them to grow is to shade their roots, either plant a low growing plant at their base or as I did, put a few rocks.....I have them all over the yard, sunny corners and sun/partially shaded
We can get it up to 45C in summer, or even 47C like on Black Saturday when so many people were killed here in bushfires, and even the north side of a pine tree at our gate was scorched brown just by the hot wind that day. I shall have a good think about where one could go and maybe try it once, but I wouldn't be optomistic.
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM
-

2 New Clematis ? Sounded like STD's when I read the tittle

about the

I couldn't help myself.
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM
-

I love clematis .......they are sooo pretty.

I would love to try and grow them to hide our wire fence but I know the dogs won't leave them alone and they're on the poisonous list.
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I too have a fence to hide and I find the Clematis is really easy to grow,I am sure your new one will bloom even this year.

I cut them back in the spring anf they grow like crazy..I'll check for pics from last year,since they are not blooming yet,hundreds of buds though
I only have 3 though..but have other things growing against the fence.
Attached Images

Old May 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
2 New Clematis ? Sounded like STD's when I read the tittle

about the

I couldn't help myself.
Good one, Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Winston,I too have a fence to hide and I find the Clematis is really easy to grow,I am sure your new one will bloom even this year.

I cut them back in the spring anf they grow like crazy..I'll check for pics from last year,since they are not blooming yet,hundreds of buds though
I only have 3 though..but have other things growing against the fence.
Everything grows so well for you chico Bet if you took a pic of your thumbs, they'd be green . I'm jealous

I just love clematis, they are so darn pretty . If you want to add some variety, another vine to cover fences is the honeysuckle. They also attract the hummingbirds.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

We actually had one on the one side of the yard that belonged to the neighbours and it was really nice. They pulled it out because she saw a possum hanging out in it a couple of times at night...

Chico those are gorgeous! Looks like you have the Star of India like I bought and the Nelly Moser I have too! good choices! The one plant is flowering already.

I paid $45.00 for a Tree Peony last year and it was very small. Well looks like it didnt survive the winter and I cant find the bill....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
If you want to add some variety, another vine to cover fences is the honeysuckle. They also attract the hummingbirds.
Yep, I planted three of those 2 yr ago ......the dogs loved them.
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a Honeysuckle one year,it had the nerves to die on me
I like the Clematis,but the blooming period is very short and I also usually have bugs eating the petals

We bought all our plants for my planters and it's COLD,we had to put them all in the shed
L4H,hubby being French and sometimes mixes things up,says I have a green"finger"...LOL