Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:23 PM

Crate Training

I recently got a new dog who is 1 1/2 yrs old. He came from the Humane Society. He is somewhat needy (I think). He wants to follow me from room to room, constantly at my side. Anyhow, I live in a condo, he chews alot, ans has had a couple of accidents on the wood floors. Is crate training a good option? Is it humane to crate train a dog of his age? I would also like some advice on exercise time. I live close to a park and can take him there to run. I haven't yet because I'm afraid he will run off. I thought I should give him some time to get more attached so that he will come back or stay with me?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Congratulations on your new doggie!

NO reason you can't take the dog to the park but keep the leash on!

You mentioned crate training but in what sense?

If you need to go out and are worried about leaving the dog free reign unsupervised then I would say yes try crate training. BUT
make it a happy thing. Put toys in there with some treats and water, make it really comfy with a blanket and such. Praise your dog to no end with all kinds of love and pats, this is a good time to get him to learn his new name...say good 'name' over and over again! They learn FAST!!

My last rescue learned her name in less then a week!! NO KIDDING!

Don't leave the dog too long in the crate at first, say 10/15 mins when you go to the corner store for bread or something. Then praise the dog when you return and go take him outside right AWAY!!

The next time you may wanna try leaving him OUT of the crate for the same amount of time, and when you return and things aren't destroyed praise him again and take him outside.

IF you return and something is destroyed/chewed on or the dog has gone to the w/r indoors. DO NOT scold the dog!! This will reinforce negative behaviour and the dog will at this time have no idea WHY it's getting negative attention. HOWEVER SOME dogs can figure it out, and no matter what type of attention they get, they THRIVE on the attention, if even they've done something destructive. SO do not give ANY attention to the issue that happened okay

Every time before you go out somewhere make sure you take the dog out to go to the w/r okay this will make both of you very happy in the long run!

Normally dogs from shelters will follow you around a lot, they are in unfamiliar surroundings and are settling in, they wanna make sure that you aren't leaving them.

Remember they have to learn all about YOU just as you have to learn about THEM!

So you had a couple of accidents, big deal! Look to catch the dog peeing then take him right outside when he does.

However, the more frequently you take the dog out, the less likely to soil inside. ALSO remember this dog has been in a shelter and was accustomed to HAVING to go to the w/r indoors for who knows how many weeks/months.

Relax and give it time. Spend a LOT of time with your dog, show it love and attention as well as discipline.

Is this your first dog or first rescue?

As for the chewing, they normally do this when they are bored or want attention...so try to keep the dog active and busy. There are all kinds of toys and chewy things for this.

Many shelters are not accurate on the dogs age, this dog could be younger ... and still puppy'ish! It may have a lot of puppy stuff to go through yet.

So I say get some balls, a long lead, some treats and head over to the park to play!

Enjoy this time, you're gonna bond just wonderfully if you are consistent.

Congratulations and post up a picture of your new addition

Luba
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Excellent advice, Luba! Here's an article that gives yet more advice on crate training.
Crate Training

A few tips. Take your dog to obedience school. It's great for bonding, socialization and teaches you HOW to train your dog.

Do not EVER let your new dog off leash until he has a solid recall. Until he learns what "'come" means, he won't do it!

Shelter and rescue dogs are often very insecure and "needy" because they've been abandoned and bounced around, and are never sure they are there for good.

Make a schedule for feeding, walking, playing, etc and stick to it. This will give your dog confidence and make him feel secure when he knows what to expect.

It's normal for a shelter or rescue dog to have a few accidents in the house at first. Make sure you take him out often to the place you want him to "go' and praise like crazy when he does. Never scold or punish him for accidents.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:59 PM

I haven't scolded him for his accidents. I thought about crate training secause it was recommended by the Humane Society. Apparently he had been w/a familt then brought to the shelter, adopted out and returned again b/c of "destructive behavior". At first this made me a little leery, but I have yet to see destructive, I see "puppyish behavior". I also considered the crate for the following reasons, I am in a condo when he hears neighbors stomping around or other doors slamming it seems to make him nervous-I heard that dogs can think of their crate as a "safe place" like it's their bedroom. Secondly, I have four cats ages 10 & 11 who have had total run of the household since they were kittens. Now they tend to be scared to come out to eat, play be lazy, whatever they do. This makesme feel somewhat guilty because I have disrupted their daily behaviors. I know you all are probably thinking then why the dog? Well my grandmother passed away about a month ago, my grandpa is very lonely and I thought the dog would be wonderful for him, he didn't think so so much. I brought him home with me and didn't have the heart to make another trip to the shelter for Rex. I am now attached to him and I want to give him the most loving home possible. I am a complete animal lover! Thanks for the info!
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad to hear you're committed to keeping this dog even though he isn't perfect! Too many people want instant gratification and dump dogs if they aren't like Lassie the minute they bring them home.

As for the cats....can you put a chain on a door of one room, so that it opens only wide enough to let them get in the room? You can put all their stuff in there. This way, they know they have a "safe place" and that will boost their confidence and help them get used to the dog.

Teach the dog to "leave it" and never let him chase the cats.

This is all a big adjustment for everyone, but with patience, consistancy and training - it should work out!