Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM

My Minpin is licking her paws constantly and acting strange

I'm not sure if this is an allergy or something but we have recently noticed our MinPin is constantly licking the tops of her paws and is acting very strange looking at her legs like there are things crawling on them. YES we thought of fleas right away but she has been on Program for months and there are no signs of fleas anywhere. She doesn't scratch at all. She just sits and stares at her legs looking back and forth as if there is something there. She puts her nose right down as if to 'grab' at something. When she's not doing that she starts licking her paws. We have been feeding her the same food for over a year (Iams dry) and give her the same treats we always have. Could this be a behavioral thing? She has always suffered from a bit of anxiety but this behavior has only started in the last month. Nothing has changed in her environment or in the home. There doesn't seem to be anything specific that triggers this. She will start the behaviour at different times. We took her to the Vet to get checked last week and he could see nothing wrong with her. He checked for fleas and there were none. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Doggie Wench

Wish I had an answer for you, sorry. My Lucky started doing the same but it's with his hips instead. He stops whatever he's doing, does a little jump and stares at his hip area as if there's something there. We too checked for fleas and even checked for intestinal parasites but couldn't find anything. Very odd behavior and even has the vet stumped.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM

It could be many things.

First I would eliminate the possibility of seasonal allergies, from the grass or possibly pesticides... by wiping off her paws every time she returns to the home from being outside. Wash her bedding also.

Dogs can also develop allergies over time. Just because she has eaten the same dog food for over a year doesn't mean that is not the cause... It is especially likely if it contains corn. Corn isn't good for our dogs anyway and can carry mold, which can be toxic in some cases so you may want to consider changing her food anyway to something with more real meat, no corn, etc.

The dog food forum may be helpful to you.

Good luck and take care.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. I think we will change her food and try something else new. We heard of a food that the vet carries that is specifically an anti allergy food. We've also seen a refrigerated all natural soft food at the pet store that we will mix in with the kibble. I didn't know that about corn! and so many dog foods have corn in it We did think of the pesticides and grass fertilizes but we have always wiped her paws good with a towell. I've heard of people using unscented baby wipes..maybe we'll try those, might be better?. Is it safe?
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

yes the unsented baby wipes are great!!!!! i have 5 min pins yup 5 all--- rescues lol, i have put them all--- on houlstic food they love it , its called chicken soup for dog lovers no more scratching hope this helps brenda and the pins.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM

Wow..5 minpins! You sure have your hands full..especially if they have as much energy as my girl. I adopted her from a rescue too! She is the greatest little dog. I am really enjoying the breed and would love to add another one to the family one day. Well, we got new food today and the baby wipes. We'll try this for a month and see if anything changes. The food is an all natural food with no corn. She seemed to love it at dinner tonight (of course I still mixed in a bit of her old food for now so her tummy doesn't get upset). Thanks to all for your suggestions and wish us luck! Hayley's Mom.
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope Hayley does great with those changes. Sounds like she has found a great forever home with you. A lucky pooch!
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I read that many dogs lick at there feet and even suck on there paws when they are insecure, or even as a pacifier. My dog did it for 2 weeks after we got him. It could also be a skin infection.