Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old March 18th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Unhappy drooling and loss appetite

my angora female cat, 1.5 years old, was drooling about 5 days ago. she also lose her appetite. 2 days later, I brought her to a vet and they found some inflammation on her gums. they said that probably the symptoms caused by the inflammation or maybe kidney problems. (in addition, she always drooling if I give her vitamin gel or any oral drugs.)
they gave 0.1 cc im injection of dexamethasone and anti-hypersalivation, twice a day. They said I have to inject it for the next five days and if after it, she's still drooling, she has to undergo some blood test to precisely know if there's some kidney problem or not.
But, I stop the injection on the 2nd day and till now I haven't given the injection. but from my amateur physical examination, I think there's no more gums inflammation cause the gums isn't red anymore and I think the appetite almost back to normal. but she's not as energetic as usual. then, if I look at her urine, there's nothing wrong with it, nothing foamy or anything. so is the faeces, no blood or anything.
do I have to continue the injection? is there any complication cause I suddenly stop it?
and from your medical view, is there a possibility she has kidney problem? should I brought her to undergo blood test? should I change the food with the fewer protein? and is that ok if I dont change the food cause she doesn't want to eat except for the usual food?
please help me, I really worried about her. thanks for your help.
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

You really should call the vet up and see what they say as you stopped giving the meds after two days and it would not wise to give you any advice
on treating your cat . You really should listen to your vet when treating a pet that has an infection.

Last edited by Barkingdog; March 19th, 2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old March 19th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

We are not vet's here on the board, and cannot advise you on how to medically treat your cat. You really should be following your vet's advice. Just because your cat's gums look fine doesn't mean there isn't something brewing there still. You really should follow the entire course of meds as prescribed. A blood panel would definitely give you more information.
Old March 21st, 2014, 01:55 PM

Hi sophie13 - welcome to the forum !

I have a few ideas for you (coming out of 40 years of CAT experience)

But........first, I need to know if you're still "listening".....please post back and tell us if you're picking up our replies

Last edited by RUSTYcat; March 21st, 2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: hopefully, point made......
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:54 AM

sorry for the late reply. thanks to all the answers and advices. actually, I hvn't brought her to a vet yet for second examination but I think she's really back to the way she is, energetic and so active. but in the near time, I think bout bringing her to a vet to really make sure her condition. thanks again!! pray the best for her
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:03 AM

I forgot to tell this. actually I had called the vet about her condition and about me stopping the drug, they said I shouldn't continue the drug and there's a possibility that she has kidney problems so I should take her to hospital to run a blood and urine test but I think bout taking her in the near time. I hope there's no problem at all cause it's like she's really back to normal. thanks again.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:37 PM

Hi again, sophie13 !

I'm happy that your kitty seems to be back to normal !

I do not understand why they think she has kidney problems. Kidney problems are ONLY diagnosed by blood tests and urine tests. Did they test her ?

It is strange for a 1 1/2 year old cat to have kidney problems unless the cat eats or drinks something toxic. A defect in her kidneys? Again, unusual.

Watch her carefully: her eating, drinking, urine, faeces, activity level, strange behaviour.....look for anything unusual.

Can you find a Vet who ONLY treats cats - a specialized Vet ?

I tried with Google.....no luck. But, maybe you can ask people who work with/for animals.....maybe a rescue organization or a shelter. Here's one place I found: http://www.bawabali.com/contact/contact-us.html Perhaps they know of a cat-only Vet.

Post back if there are changes - this section is for kittens, so the best forum to use is here: http://pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

What's her name? Do you have any pictures of her ?
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:59 AM

I dont know but they said gums inflammation can be a sign of kidney problem.

thanks for the link. I'm from Indonesia but I never heard bout that organization. Maybe I'll give it a call if I have some questions to ask.

Her name is Arya, here she is hiding in a bag. (sorry for the bad quality pict)
Her fur color is yellow. I really like her eyes when it is widen, truly like a doll
Attached Images

Old March 25th, 2014, 11:01 AM

Oh.........she is gorgeous...so innocent, she just takes your breath away!!!

You are so very lucky to have her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie13 View Post
...Maybe I'll give it a call if I have some questions to ask.
You DO have a question to ask !!!!

Here: "Is there a Vet who ONLY examines CATS ?"......or: "Who is the best CAT VETERINARIAN ?"

At least, that's what I think.....I mean, "gum inflammation can be a sign of kidney problems"....well....that is waaaay down ton the list of possibilities, especially because she is so young.....unless, she was exposed to some toxin.

Here is some good information, a place to start understanding what might be happening: Cat Drooling - Causes

So, watch her carefully. If she ever stops eating or only eats a little, you will have to act quickly....cats can get a serious liver disease if they don't eat enough.

Keep us posted !