Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Hi all

Hello!

I'm so glad I found this site. There is so much information here.

After not having any pets for many years, I recently got a Husky puppy and after doing some research found out that being pack dogs they need company, so I decided to get another puppy.
I chose a Rottweiler. Here's some pics of my babies. The Husky is now 3 and a half months, the Rott is just 6 weeks old.

Lili
Attached Images

Old February 4th, 2007, 07:34 PM
-

Oh be still my heart ~ they are sooooo adorable !!! Welcome to the board and you had better be preared to post a whole LOT more pix !!!!
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I also just posted in the pet health forum as the Rott has been runny and the vet won't be in till tuesday. I'm a little bit concerned 'cuz I heard Rott puppys are delicate. :sad:

Lili
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Too young to be away from its mom and litter mates. You have alot of work on your hands.....Both being a nice challenging breed. Is one male, one female.
Have you taken your rott pup to the vet, I would find another vet quick, puppies dehydrate really quickly. Parvo is a killer, and it kills fast. It is seen often in rottweilers, and rott pups.
I would be taking it to the vet, we can not do anything here for it.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
-

Gorgeous pups ! Hope nothing serious with the puppy rott Can't you find an open vet tomorrow ?
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

oh! they are sooo cute! hope the baby is okay! get it to the vet asap!!! and welcome.
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
-

First of all, welcome to the forum and your babies are gorgeous. You are going to have your hands full......I have a husky and a lab that are 6 months apart and they can be a real handful.

I also agree to get your rottie pup to the vet asap. Good luck.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Update on puppy

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and kind words!

I got the pup to the vet today and he wasn't dehydrated but and he was diagnosed with 2 kinds of parasites. Prescribed 7 days of Metronidazole and gave him 1 dose of 'Strongid" he already looks better, and an appt for next tuesday.

In the pet health issues forum, I was informed of the 'food forum' and boy what a surprise! The food I'm giving them now is mostly corn meal.

I'm definitely going to switch them! Just not sure what to.

Yes Rainbow, the Husky is definitely a handful! LOL.

I plan on "trying" to breed them as I saw a Rott-Husky puppy and they sure look cute!

Last edited by lilacpr57; February 6th, 2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs down

OH OH!! Here we go.....No breeding please there are enough cute puppies in the world with no homes.......
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Live well, laugh often

Welcome to the forum. We tend to be very pro spay/neuter here. Many people are involved in rescues and there are so many dogs looking for loving homes that we really discourage breeding.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess you have a lot more learning to do.
over 2 million dogs are put to sleep every year in North America and countless others in pounds an shelters and sold for lab research and vivisection(dissection for teaching) because their simply is not enough homes wanting all the dogs that currently exist. The only breeding that should exist is by those who a trying to preserve breed standards and have solid understanding of pedigree lines and genetics, and a lot of people argue even they should not breed as long as so many unwanted dogs exist. Mixing of breeds to sell for profit is considered even a worse sin. You may want to do some more reading around the website here including searching the health risks to your own dogs if not spayed and neutered early
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM

oh!

I realize you're right, the thing is, my understanding was that the dog should at least be allowed to have one litter and then be sterilized.

I admit I read that some time ago and I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject.
I have been reading up in this forum and seen the kind heartedness of so many who have lovingly rescued dogs from shelters.

I will research it further, as I want to do whats best for the dogs.

Lili
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Winnie , my lab, was spayed at a very young age and has never had a litter...trust me, she doesn't seem to care much...and she now 9 and has never been sick ( touch wood)
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Back in October we got a 1 and 1/2 yr shih zu, I mentioned that we wanted another dog so we were going to breed her to get a puppy for our selves and to give my sister in law one. I got the same response as you about spaying. It got me thinking so I talked to my vet about the pros and cons of having a litter. Needless to say she was spayed about three weeks later. We still wanted another dog so we watched several ad sites and checked the shelters and after a while one came up,we got another shih zu which was 1 yr old and already spayed. The decision not to have a litter figures out to be
--1 dog livesin good home [could have died during whelping]
--sister in law bought one from very reputable breeder
--possibly 3 or 4 puppies not born ,,
--2nd dog finds good home,,may have ended up as unwanted dog somewhere
--we end up with the two dogs we want, close to same age
The decision to spay was the only decision we could have made as reasonable adults.
The theory about letting her have a litter to make a better dog out of her is nothing more than a old wives tale. You will reduce her chance of getting cancer later in life by spaying now. Seems funny,,I will say to you what many on this site said to me a few months ago,,GET HER SPAYED. Sorry if it seems harsh, but you will understand in a few months or less.
Dobb
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacpr57 View Post
I realize you're right, the thing is, my understanding was that the dog should at least be allowed to have one litter and then be sterilized.

I admit I read that some time ago and I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject.
I have been reading up in this forum and seen the kind heartedness of so many who have lovingly rescued dogs from shelters.

I will research it further, as I want to do whats best for the dogs.

Lili
I do hope that your research will bring you to the conclusion that the best thing for your dog and the puppies that would be born would be to spay the dog, and not have the puppies. There are too many dogs waiting to be adopted now, without adding to the problem. A rottie-husky mix is a mutt, we shouldn't be bredding mutts, we should be adopting them
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM

wlecome to the board
Don't breed you have no idea what it involves and what you're gonna put your bitch through.
too many dogs are in shelter or put to sleep evryday you can't even imagine how many they are. don't contribute to that...

Otherwise your dogs are gorgeous!!! I suggest you take some obedience classes asap with your husky and with your rott also as soon as he his 3mths

"Ever consider what they must think of us I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think were the greatest hunters on earth