Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:19 PM

Mouth Issue

Hi everyone,

We have an estimated 6yr and guess Mastiff Lab mix, about a week and half ago I noticed some redness around the little bumps that are in their mouth on the back of their lips. It wasn't bothering him so we held off on the vet as he was wrestling with our 2yr lab and thought he may have just irritated it.

I went out of town for about 5 days and when I got home the redness has spread further. We have a vet appointment setup for this weekend but wanted to see if anyone has seen this before and if I should go see the vet right away.

See attached pictures. Black lips are the good side and what they normally look like. Red lips are obviously the side we are having issues with.

It does seem to have some scabbing in areas (you can see a little in the pic) but doesn't seem to bother him at all. Although he doesn't like me touch it. He has been eating fine.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:25 PM

err wow those pics came in big. see if i can edit and resize them.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you can resize to something 1000 pixels or less on the long end they should work

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:29 PM

There we go. Sorry about that.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Does it still not bother him? I've never seen anything exactly like that, but I wonder if it's something like thrush? It's probably not something that needs to be seen on an emergency basis, unless it's markedly worse tomorrow or you see signs of it starting on your lab, too, but I'm glad you've got an appointment this weekend!

Pls, let us know what the vet says about it--very curious as to what it might be.

And welcome to the board, Tharamis!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:48 PM

Thanks Hazel! Nope doesn't seem to bothering him at all but turns from me when I start moving his lips to look at it. Not something he really did before.

Nothing on our other Lab (first thing I looked at after I saw it had spread). I will definitely keep you all posted. Thanks for the quick response. I am going to do some research on thrust now. Thanks for the home work

One other thing you can't see in the picture is that lip is now sagging and other is not.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome Tharamis! It's 'thrush' btw.
Glad you are seeing a vet for this especially since dooger won't let you get too close (that's often a sign of discomfort).
Good luck
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

What kind of water is your dog drinking tap or bottled water and do use dish soap to wash his bowls ? You should try to think of anything your dog could had gotten into or chewed on so the vet will have a better idea of what is going on. Poor puppy!
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board. I sure hope the vet is able to help your boy out and that it's nothing major to worry about. Please do keep us posted. Um, full on pics of both pups would be great!
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Might be lip fold pyoderma?

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-pyoderma.html
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone for you great responses! Should have the news tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Wow this looks really close to what his looks like like. I will definitely research this and take it into the vet with me. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Welcome to the board. I sure hope the vet is able to help your boy out and that it's nothing major to worry about. Please do keep us posted. Um, full on pics of both pups would be great!
Like any dog owner... ask and you shall receive. Brindle is Marcus (Mastiff Lab Mix), with the issue. Max is a 130lb Silver Lab. The poodle in the pic is my sisters.
Attached Images

Old July 19th, 2014, 08:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

What a beautiful fur-family you have, Tharamis!

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my such beautiful pups all three! Is your lab really that much bigger than the Mastiff X??? He looks huge! Such beautiful faces. How did the vet trip go? Any diagnosis?
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I love the pic of all 3 dogs looking into the camera . How did you get them to do that ? They're all beautiful .
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:05 AM

Thanks Everyone for your great responses to this Thread. Really appreciate the comments! Sorry for the late response as life as been crazy last few days! Well the winner is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Ding Ding Ding... we have a Winner!!

Quote:
Oh my such beautiful pups all three! Is your lab really that much bigger than the Mastiff X??? He looks huge! Such beautiful faces. How did the vet trip go? Any diagnosis?
Part of it is Camera Angle but really the Lab is bigger then the Mastiff Mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I love the pic of all 3 dogs looking into the camera . How did you get them to do that ? They're all beautiful .
TREATS!!!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Sure hope the lip heals up now that you know what it is. Did the vet supply a cream or did you buy the diaper rash cream??
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sure hope the lip heals up now that you know what it is. Did the vet supply a cream or did you buy the diaper rash cream??
Vet said it shouldn't take too long. He gave us EnteDerm Ointment and apply it to his lip twice a day.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Great news, Tharamis!! Hope it clears up quickly now!

Old July 24th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharamis View Post
Vet said it shouldn't take too long. He gave us EnteDerm Ointment and apply it to his lip twice a day.
Quick update and advise for everyone.

The EnteDerm Ointment comes in a tube and when we first opened it the Ointment was very clear and runny. We thought that must be how it is. However Two nights ago it started to become milky and in the AM I thought what the hell and really moved the stuff in the tube around for a bit, squeezing it at each end and mixing it up. It's now really thick and and mucusy greenish yellow. It was a Dramatic increase in effect. Although we were seeing the lip get better. Only three treatments now after I mixed it and the swelling is down the color is coming back to his lip.

Just FYI - You always hear about mixing your liquid medicines... well mix your Ointments too!!
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had that problem with the entederm too - it's great stuff, hope it clears everything up completely! So glad it's already getting better!