Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
chronically insane.

Feline Leukemia of the Bone Marrow? Or something similar

hi everyone. Timmy is not doing so well. His bone marrow has just about shut down and is no longer making red blood cells. Something had destroyed his red blood cells but for whatever reason his bone marrow stopped making new ones.. so he's slowly dying from anemia that hasn't corrected it's self.

I really have no idea what to do anymore Once he perks up after you get his meds and food into him it makes i really hard to make any 'decisions' as to what to do with him. but i know that if his condition doesn't improve there really isn't anything left to do.

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of FeLV infecting the bone marrow. He tested negative for it on the snap combo test.... he never really had any symptoms of it either.. his other siblings/mother have not had it either and were tested negative before i brought them home.

We are just running out of options and I don't want to keep torturing the poor cat, but he still has a little fight left in him and I don't want to just give up on him.

I also was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of a blood transfusion in a cat (or any kind of pet). I felt like if we go ahead and do the bone marrow biopsy, if he is already under sedation he could get a blood transfusion too so atleast it buys us some time.

but then it's just back to where do we stop? the cat really seems like he wants to get better. he purrs and still tries to do stuff. but he's just getting weaker and weaker and loosing weight...

i really just miss my old timmy :sad:

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awww Kathryn, what a horrible decision to have to make.
I will tell you what I would be doing. The same thing you are as far as making the final decision. But given his family history with at least one other sibling dying and him getting weaker I would think you have to make the decision soon. It would not be fair to Timmy to make him suffer for any longer. At some point we have to figure out if we are keeping the pet alive for them or for us. As bad as this sounds we have to think with our head, not our heart.
Giant for giving Timmy a fighting chance. :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, poor Timmy , he has been through so much in his young life :sad:. I just can't imagine what you are going through right now. and some

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kathryn I am so sorry Timmy hasnt improvd. I posted a couple of sites below that may help you with some info?? There was another member here Swaysbodyguard who had a problem with his beautiful dog Sway with similiar problems with Red Blood Cells reproducing...maybe some of his info could help you!

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dise...IAhemobart.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_imha.html

Timmy is in my prayers! He is a tough cookie!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
chronically insane.

It's been rough. We still really don't know what happened to his sibling. It was kind of the same thing with a rapid onset of lethargy, but no other issues. Could this be genetic then? but even then, Timmy and his brother ho passed away may not have been actually related. Atleast 2 kittens from the 6 kittens I had were not related to the others (or the mom) and were added because they were orphans. It was either the 2 orange ones (timmy and his orange brother) or the two tan ones (teddy and the one who passed away). But then, how does that make sense? Either way they 99% chance were not related, yet 1 gets rapidly sick and dies & now the one born with an extremely rare heart defect is going through the same thing?

The two black female kittens have been adopted and have no problems what-so-ever. That adds even more to the mystery. They were either related to the two tan or two orange and were 100% related to mom Maddie but have NO problems at all?

It can't really be an environmental thing either... because my cats are perfectly fine. I'm wondering if the answer lies in Maddie herself. The only common factor for sure is she nursed all 6 kittens. Maybe she passed something to them that way?

It's heartbreaking to see Timmy come so far and now basically the same mysterious thing that killed his brother is now killing him

Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry he hasn't improved. He's such a little fighter. It's so unfair. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through.

You find an answer.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
Mickey, my angel

I'm so sorry there is no better news and they still haven't found the cause of Timmy's anemia.:sad:

In the blood test results you posted on your other thread, his hematocrit was 21%. What is it now? As far as blood transfusions go, they are quite commonly done for cats and dogs and considered to be quite safe. I agree that it could make him feel stronger and buy some time until they hopefully come up with some better answers.

Here is another comprehensive website you may not have seen about anemia in cats:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anemia-in-cats/page3.aspx

Whatever you decide and whatever happens, you know we are here for you.

Timmy is indeed a tough boy. that things still get better for him.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; November 2nd, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
I'm so sorry there is no better news and they still haven't found the cause of Timmy's anemia.:sad:

In the blood test results you posted on your other thread, his hematocrit was 21%. What is it now? As far as blood transfusions go, they are quite commonly done for cats and dogs and considered to be quite safe. I agree that it could make him feel stronger and buy some time until they hopefully come up with some better answers.

Here is another comprehensive website you may not have seen about anemia in cats:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anemia-in-cats/page3.aspx

Whatever you decide and whatever happens, you know we are here for you.

Timmy is indeed a tough boy. that things still get better for him.

thanks... the articles on petplace have actually been quite helpful to me. I think I am going to go ahead and ask for a transfusion for him. I don't know what his last CBC revealed. The results were directly sent to his vet and he really only told me it was bad news but didn't say what the actual counts were.

If his vet wants to go ahead and do the biopsy I want to do it on the terms that he can get a transfusion too (if that is appropriate in this case) because if he is already going to be sedated I don't want it to be for nothing. I'd atleast like to make him comfortable even if there is nothing else we can do.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, Kathryn, Timmy is so lucky to have you . I hope everything turns out for this poor guy

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Poor Timmy
he gets better :sad:
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
chronically insane.

Hey everyone. I'm doing one more round of bloodwork for Timmy but after that I think I'm going to leave him alone. He is very weak and I don't think there is a point of doing the bone marrow biopsy anymore. I'm going to leave the rest up to his doctor though. I just don't want to give up on him and a little bit of bloodwork won't bother him too much. Maybe something will have changed since the last time that can give us a clue as to what this is.

If not, then well atleast we tried. I'm going to ask his doctor what the course of treatment would be if we did find something from the biopsy. If either it wouldn't be anything different then we do now or it would be something horrible (like chemo or something) then I see no reason to make the cat suffer anymore.

The way he is right now I don't expect him to make it even to Thanksgiving. The best I can do is make him comfortable. I feel like the whole thing has been a waste and this cat has been through so much for such a young age. I feel like he was just not meant to live for some reason. He was born as a stray kitten in Camden NJ, saved off the streets and brought to the county shelter (life saved part 1), taken into foster care by me (life saved part 2 since the shelter was a bit over crowded and he was just a tiny baby). Then he happens to end up with the horrible heart defect, but I just happen to know a doctor who would fix it for me (live saved part 3)..but then the thing with his x-rays and now this thing with the anemia and liver failure...

It's like some unknown force has been trying to kill my cat from the moment he was born.

I'll let everyone know if anything changes but other then that thanks for putting up with me and my crazy cat.

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no, Kathryn, that is just heartbreaking . Poor Timmy :sad:. I hope the vets find something that will help him over this hump

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

It's not fair. He's fighting so hard. If you ultimately have to let him go, don't think you have wasted any time in him. Had he not been rescued, he would not have known love and kindness and would have died alone. I think he was meant to live and even if it's been a short life, he's known what it means to be loved.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

to you Kathryn and for Timmy too. I think you have made a good decision. Sometimes you just have to let them go.
Let me ask you something. Have you learned anything through all of this? Empathy, a little more kindness, patience, even things that will help you on your chosen path? If so then Timmy's little life will never have been in vain. Maybe that is why he came to you.
Hang in there.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
chronically insane.

Hi everyone. The bloodwork was not needed.

The vet felt is abdomen and a needle aspiration was done. I am sorry to say that Timmy has FIP and we have to euthanize him. I noticed his bloaty appearance just really starting today. The problem had been that when I was giving him subq fluids, they would take a long time to absorb and would sort of 'settle' around his belly area. I assumed that is why he looked bad today from the fluids I gave him last night.

Sadly this was not the case... and he is getting worse and worse. They wanted to euthanize him now, but honestly my mom was out getting her nails done and I had been trying to pretend like everything was going to be okay, and didn't want to do it right then and there.

I'm either going to have to let him go tomorrow or Friday morning. I know there is nothing that can be done now and the only thing he faces is pain and suffering. I just want to give him a good last meal and hug him a few more times.

Thanks for everyones support. I wish this could have ended better.

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

:sad::sad::sad: OMG, I am sooooooo sorry, this is just so heartbreaking

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am so sorry Kathryn. Please know you have done your very best for Timmy. In fact you did more than most. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Timmy. Play free little one.

Old November 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn, I had hoped this would not be the ultimate outcome. I can't tell you how sad I am right now. Give him a hug and a kiss from me.

Old November 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear that it did turn out to be FIP. Such a brutal disease. My heart goes out to you and your mom.

Be at peace, dear Timmy. You fought a good fight.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
chronically insane.

I added a picture of him from just now... i know it's a camera phone picture but you can see this is not the same fun loving kitten I had before :sad:

I'm sorry it couldn't have been a better end for you Timmy but apparently the odds have been against you.

EDIT:

speaking to his regular vet on the phone he is not entirely convinced just yet it is FIP. We will find out more tomorrow morning. No matter what it isn't good but maybe it could be something else.
Attached Images

Last edited by kathryn; November 4th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'm so sorry Kathryn :sad:. You have done so much for Timmy but sometimes there are just other plans for our furbabies that we cannot control. Lots of hugs to you and Timmy .
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Mickey, my angel

I'm so sorry, Kathryn.:sad:

to you and your Mom and Timmy.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM
-

Poor Timmy :sad: I am so sorry Kathryn.

I hope by some miracle your vet has a better diagnosis in the morning.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:00 AM

I'm so sorry Timmy has taken such a down turn :sad:

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:07 AM
chronically insane.

I'll let you guys know if anything changes. Otherwise probably later today or tomorrow morning we will have to let him go. It's 6am here and he gets to see his doctor at 8. He's doing fairly good this morning. I walked by his little crate and he meowed at me and stood up. I let him out and he's been trying to walk around but is exhausted. All the fluid buildup has made him a bit unsteady.

maybe the fluid can be drained and sent out to a lab? That way maybe he still has a chance. I mean, I really am trying to not get my hopes up. I already know that this is bad news for timmy even if it is not FIP. But even if draining the fluid will make him comfortable for one more day so everyone can have a chance to say goodbye to him I think that would be nice. He's really not at a suffering point, but of course he isn't that comfortable either.

Thank you everyone

Old November 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
chronically insane.

He's still hanging on. His vet said this is a hospice situation. He didn't mention euthanasia. I'm not sure that since he knows me as a friend as like, as a 'kid' that maybe he doesn't really know what to say anymore.. that's what it seemed like anyways.

I'm hoping he passes tonight on his own so that I don't have to drag him back out and, you know. It's not like I would really be able to drive myself back home after something like that. I would rather him quietly pass away at home with his family if that's possible. He's also not directly 'suffering' if anyone can believe that. He really has 0 chance of getting better but he's probably going to be okay to just be left and home and taken care of.

He's on furosemide now to drain the fluid from his abdomen.

FIP is no longer suspected. The fluid was not the typical kind you see with FIP.

thanks again everyone for all the help

Old November 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
-

This is just so heartbreaking :sad: ....my heart goes out to you, kathryn.
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:44 PM

loss...

Kathryn...I lost my ten week old kitten yesterday to the exact same thing. I an devastated, as is my other cat, and feel guilty that he could not be saved. I was given two possible explanations: 1) bone marrow leukemia, which gives a false negative in the regular test or 2) a form of the herpes virus which can shut down the bone marrow. Either is incurable, and he would have had to suffer through many tests only to come to the same result. I know you went through this a few years ago now, but i can still feel your pain..i made the decision to help him rest and be at peace, as much as it killed me to do. Thank you for posting your journey with Timmy. It helped a lot.