Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

The Grampians.

Must tell you that the friend and I who visited the Grampians Mt Range yesterday both live on perfectly flat ground, and honestly, after driving 16klms uphill from the township of Halls Gap, to the McKenzies Falls, when we got out it was like were were drunk. Didn't have our sea legs as they say. It is 16 klms of just 2 lanes, no overtaking, some pretty scary drops beside the road in places and evidence of the massive landslides caused by flooding. Ear popping stuff by the time you reach the top. You pass this wonderful expanse of rock they call the Elephant's Hide. This is seen here going up and coming down.
Attached Images

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

A bit late in the Spring for the wildflowers but still nice. Everywhere the burnt tree trunks though, evidence of the big bushfire 3 years ago.
Attached Images

Old November 21st, 2011, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

The view, from left to right , from the Baroka Lookout. In the third photo the town of Halls Gap is down between the two ranges and behind it is Lake Bellfield. That lush green valley entices the kangaroos down there to eat.
Attached Images

Old November 21st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you, thank you for, sharing your beautiful continent with us. The "roos and the scenery is a dream that I have of seeing in person someday.You could call it a bucket list dream, visit Australia!!!!!! patti
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

This Pied Currawong was like the official meeter and greeter up at Baroka Lookout. It met us at the car park then decided to add to the view at the Lookout ...that was until it spotted someone who DID have food.
Attached Images

Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:07 AM
Senior Contributor

oh wow....what wonderful views!!!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thanks for sharing these, GF! Probably as close as I'll ever get to Australia.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I've got to admit I have a fear of heights, so I had to edge my way towards the rails of that Lookout. I believe that before it was renewed, someone did fall and die, and Di and I both disaproved of the new railing. It isn't high enough and you'd only need teenagers to start fooling around, leaning over it for instance to impress their peers with their bravery and the top would not be easy to get a grip on. Hope I'm wrong.
Melinda, pity it wasn't a clear day. We'd had strong winds the previous day, hence the haze. Di and I are both bird watchers and next time we need to remember to take along our binoculars
Patti, hope you achieve that wish some day. Funny thing, we weren't sure which path to take to avoid the steps down the side of the Falls and the guy I decided to ask turned out to be an American tourist. A local asking a visitor, duh!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

What magnificent views. You know GF it doesn't really matter how high the fence is if someone wants to be stupid they'll still go over. We have that here too on some areas and every year somebody climbs over to take a picture or something and off they go.... No cure for stupid! What beautiful scenery though, looks like our Rockies but without the snow!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course you are right, DD, some idiots are just going somewhere to die.

Although it's a lot drier than your Rockies, it does snow up there also, though nowhere near as much.