Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 20th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

see it on cnn.com i will not eat at kfc again

KFC supplier in cruelty furor

Animal rights group video purportedly shows workers at W.Va. plant torturing chickens.
July 20, 2004: 9:34 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - An animal rights group has released a videotape showing slaughterhouse workers with a KFC Corp. supplier jumping on live chickens and slamming them into walls, apparently for fun.

A video on the PETA Web site shows workers throwing chickens at a Pilgrim's Pride plant in Moorefield, W.Va.
After KFC officials saw the videotape Monday, surreptitiously shot by an investigator for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), they said they would seek dismissal of the workers, inspect the slaughterhouse more often and end their relationship if the cruelty was repeated, the New York Times reported.

A spokeswoman for KFC, a unit of Louisville, Ky.-based Yum Brands Inc., (YUM: Research, Estimates) was quoted by the newspaper as saying the fast-food chain "wouldn't tolerate the type of behavior in the video."

Pilgrim's Pride Corp., (PPC: Research, Estimates) the owner of the slaughterhouse and the No. 2 U.S. poultry processor, said it was "appalled" by the videotape, the Times said.

The videotape, entitled "KFC's House of Horrors" includes sounds of birds screeching while being thrown against walls and stomped on by workers as loud music blares in the background.

The tape was shot at a Pilgrim's Pride plant in Moorefield, W.Va., according to the PETA web site, where the video is posted. The investigator worked at the plant from October 2003 to May 2004.

Pilgrim's Pride won KFC's "Supplier of the Year" award in 1997, the Times reported.

Representatives

Last edited by Ford; October 25th, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I couldn't watch the video. It's not entirely KFC's fault though, they really have no control over their supplier. It's up to them to take a stand and find their "supplies" elsewhere. I for one eat KFC MAYBE once a year. I hate it anyway.
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Senior Contributor

What in the f*** is wrong with people,i will never understand people,we are some crule species,,,
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Unfortuately alot of humans are selfish, rude, controlling, abusive, cruel, heartless.. etc, the list goes on. We see if everyday, weither it's abusing animals, another human or whatever. Simple things like holding the door for someone, signalling into traffic, saying please and thank you - just takes too much effort. It's very sad the world we live in, how ungreatful people are. Everything is taken for granted - especially in North America (IMHO). I feel that if there is something that we want and we don't have it, we will do what we can to steal it from someone else, and there is not guilt or remorse for our actions. Sick and demented us humans are!
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah your right i have heard before about the abuse at kfc to the chickens,i think that is why i just love watching things like animals in the wild they are so family tied,except when a lion kills cubs that are not his,but just watching a lion pride,we could learn a few things from them...I dont like kfc much either,i would love for those people to get the s*** beat out of them,and to think they are someones husband or son,imagine finding out it was yours.........
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I call KFC "dirty bird"!! LOL
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Old July 20th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I personally judge people by how they are around animals. Those who disdain or have no time for them usually have some serious personality flaws and I don't care to be around them.
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi,what you saw,I cannot watch,but it goes on in all"chicken-factories".When selected,little chicks come down an assembly-line,the males are thrown in the garbage still alive and females are the ones used.
It is common practice in our modern efficient world.
Personally I would not touch KFC,awful stuff!!!
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

That is horrible,i do eat meat,so i do not want to be a hypocrite,but to abuse them like that is just uncalled for,there is quick ways of doing stuff to kill them,and non painful..
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

out of interest who hear goes out of their way to only ever buy organic freerange chicken meat and freerange eggs?? the practice of the KFC farmer is no different to the treatment of most livestock around the world.
battery hens are kept in the most deplorable conditions. they are born and within days removed from the clutch. they are put in a tiny cage when old enough, the cage so small it would be cruel for a cat. they have their little beaks removed, so the stress of conditions doesnt cause them to peck each other to death, and so they dont hurt the farmers precious eggs. they are fed only grain, that is boosted with the right hormones and stuff, they can only get the grain through a hole in the cage, they do nothing but lay eggs in their cages for their entire life, the only time they get out ofthat cage is for avet or to die, wow what a life, to exist for human consumption must be sad.. when the bird is old and not producing enough, she is slaughtered, but the meat is too old for human consumption. this goes on daily, and is the majoritys way of farming chooks and eggs. i dont know if you have had much to do with chooks, but i can swear that thay have wonderful personalities and make fantastic companion animals and are very loving and sweet creatures.
freerange chooks are not subject to such conditions and live a pretty normal chooky life, and happily range free from cages.
most meat is treated this way, i have seen men in abboitors do the most disgusting things with the meat, but what do they care, to many meat is jsut that, there for consumption and the actual live cow the stick the apple is walking on that is all, they dont see the pain, personalities or sadness of these creatures.
basically if you eat meat that is not specifically free range or grown adn slaughtered yourself, i can almost guarantee that you are eating animals that have been subject to some form of cruelty, even just in the slaughter process. but that is ok, as long as people are willing to recognise this and that their consumption of the product increases demand for the product thus helping the cycle. but as meat eaters you have the power to change things, use your meat $$. only buy free range, and vioce this opinion in your butcher, to your family , friends and anyone who will listen. ask your butcher where it came from, what sort of conditions, even if you cant buy his meat it might get someone thinking. get people thinking, get them to recognise the sadness of this industry, only you can change things, the farmer will never do it unless forced by the $$$$ and you can do that. this is your world, make it what you want.
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Melanie,I don't know about Australia,but here in Canada everything organic or free-range,is much more expensive.Chicken especially has really gone up in price.I buy eggs that come supposedly from free range chickens and they are twice the price of regular eggs and often I buy organic fruits and veggies.
I think people are becoming more aware,but $$$ still speak,not everyone can afford to do the right thing.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:03 PM

That is why I am veg!!
And yes, if I do eat eggs I go freerange, organic.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

yes it can cost a little more, i pay about $4 for a dozen free range where as cage is $2.50-$3. but if we all buy organic or free's the prices will eventually come down, we just need to out beat the cagey's in the $$$$ race and demand. it will happen just takes time. but the price of free's and organics have come down in the past 10yrs and will continue to fall as popularity rises. poor poor chickens.
have you all heard the cows with guns song??

Fat and docile, big and dumb
They look so stupid, they aren't much fun
Cows aren't fun

They eat to grow, grow to die
Die to be ate at the hamburger fry
Cows well done

Nobody thunk it, nobody knew
No one imagined the great cow guru
Cows are one

He hid in the forest, read books with great zeal
He loved Che Guevera, a revolutionary veal
Cow Tse Tongue

He spoke about justice, but nobody stirred
He felt like an outcast, alone in the herd
Cow doldrums

He mooed we must fight, escape or we'll die
Cows gathered around, cause the steaks were so high
Bad cow pun

But then he was captured, stuffed into a crate
Loaded onto a truck, where he rode to his fate
Cows are bummed

He was a scrawny calf, who looked rather woozy
No one suspected he was packing an Uzi
Cows with guns

They came with a needle to stick in his thigh
He kicked for the groin, he pissed in their eye
Cow well hung

Knocked over a tractor and ran for the door
Six gallons of gas flowed out on the floor
Run cows run!

He picked up a bullhorn and jumped up on the hay
We are free roving bovines, we run free today

We will fight for bovine freedom
And hold our large heads high
We will run free with the Buffalo, or die
Cows with guns

They crashed the gate in a great stampede
Tipped over a milk truck, torched all the feed
Cows have fun

Sixty police cars were piled in a heap
Covered in cow pies, covered up deep
Much cow dung

Black smoke rising, darkening the day
Twelve burning McDonalds, have it your way

The President said. "Enough is enough,
These uppity cattle, its time to get tough"
Cow dung flung

The newspapers gloated, folks sighed with relief
Tomorrow at noon, they would all be ground beef
Cows on buns

The cows were surrounded, they waited and prayed
They mooed their last moos,
they chewed their last hay
Cows outgunned

The order was given to turn cows to whoppers
Enforced by the might of ten thousand coppers
But on the horizon surrounding the shoppers

Came the deafening roar of chickens in choppers

lol, lol such a dream
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Not trying to insult anyone, but one of my favorite license plate frame slogan was

"When you talk about farmers, don't talk with your mouth full!"

Pop was a farmer for years. Took him years to pay off his debts after he left it and began shoeing instead. Pray for rain, pray it won't rain . . . . only the bank and the middlemen make money!
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

That actually sounds more like it. I was trying to remember!

Another was

"Those who beat their guns into plows . . will plow for those who don't!"

Ah well, that's another thread!