Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Question Need help walking a dog...

Ok... this is probably gonna make some of you laugh... I have a coonhoud/boxer puppy (10 weeks) named Sam. Sam is the most mild mannered puppy I have ever encountered. He is not aggressive in the least. He loves all people, and seems very happy being around dogs, cats. The problem we are having is with him going for walks. He doesn't like to go. He seems to be afraid of cars, airplanes, trains, bikes... pretty much any vehicle... if he hears it, sees it, smells it... he sits down and refuses to move. We live in the city. The other thing he really doesn't like is cold. It has started to warm up... so that doesn't really explain why we are having a problem now.

For a while I thought if I just kept taking him out and not reinforcing the fear.. he would get over and start to enjoy the walks.... the last three days though he has gotten worse and sits down and wont even leave the driveway. We don't want to pull on the lease and start a tug of war... he isn't motivated even by treats in this case. He does seem to need the excercise as he has started showing a mischievous side if he is not tired enough.

I don't want to wreck him.. he is perfect in every way so if anyone has encountered this kind of problem... please let me have it with both barrels.
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

lol... he's only a wee 10 wks! He'll go through a few "fear stages" - the key is to not react to it, not coo or cuddle him - just act as though "it's no big deal". (easier said than done w/ a fearfull pup!)

in all honesty though, he's just 10 wks, and unless he's had all his vaccines, he probably should be sticking close to home - not out for adventures in the big city just yet. introduce things slowly, positively, and he (and you) will be just fine.

started showing a mischievous side??? get ready... it gets worse. (of course I mean that in a fun way - puppy mischief is everything from annoying to stressfull to downright hilarious!)

do we get to see a pic of Sam?

welcome to the board, btw.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Sticking to sidewalks...

I have been trying to stick to sidewalks... pathways... and away from all dog runs... not sure what else to do though... as his last shot isn't due for another 3 weeks and he definitely needs t he exercise.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Sam

Forgot to mention... I put a pic of sam on my profile... don't know how to get it show up by my posts.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

he probably needs some exercise, but those needs will increase later. You could enroll him in puppy school - see if there is an obedience school near you that has puppy socials or playgroups. Socializing at a young age is very important - much more important than being introduced to a busy street.

playing at home is always a great (and tiring) activity too - If you only take out a few toys at a time, he is less likely to get bored with them (rotate the toys)

attaching pics:
on the reply page, scroll down to ATTACH FILES - Manage attachments - browse to upload your picture (note size constraints & formats) and upload it.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Agility Addict

What an interesting mix!! I'm partial to hounds!

I agree with everything that Jessi76 said!

Most people prefer to only have their puppy use the backyard until they have their shots. Really, aside from the risk of disease a 10 week old puppy doesn't need and shouldn't be walked. They should get their exercise through playing (not on hard surfaces).

When my hound was young, I had the same problem because he was never tired! You really need to be creative! Have you enrolled in any puppy classes? You can start obedience training now - mental exercise is just as exhausting as physical.

When your pup does have his shots, you will need to expose him to everythig and anything (not all at once of course). Sociallization is key! It needs to be done in a safe environment and it should never be negative. Always make the new experience positive!!

Good luck - Sam is adorable, I miss having a puppy!:love:
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Yes to the Puppy class

Sam goes on Monday nights to a puppy group.... He loves it and does not understand why we need to go home. Something I should share about Sam is that for the most part he is fairly inactive. He has toys but is not terribly playfull inside. I have tried to entice him to play and he lasts about 5 minutes and then goes to sleep. But on days when he perhaps has overslept... in stead of his toys he like to look right at us and then try and bit the furniture... not unusual for a puppy... but I definitely see a pattern on the days when he wouldn't play and stay awake and just cuddled and slept to the days when I got him outside and got him to excerise even for 20 min.

I should note as well to everyone... that for the most part I have tried to stay to greenbelt pathways and not on any busy streets. We live on a culdesac... with virtually no traffic but even then Sam sees a car parked on the side of the street and he stops. If someone pulls out of their driveway he stops.

I guess the consensus is I better just hold off on the walks... my problem was I was maybe trying to do too much too fast since I also am trying to train him to only void himself in a certain spot in the backyard so I have restricted his off leash activities in the back yard. It sounds like I need to reevaluate what I worry about before he is even 14 weeeks.

I do appreciate everyones input though. I had a dog years ago that I loved dearly but did a very terrible job training and this new puppy is already making it so easy for me that I want to make sure I DON'T make any mistakes this time.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebruce
I should note as well to everyone... that for the most part I have tried to stay to greenbelt pathways and not on any busy streets. We live on a culdesac... with virtually no traffic but even then Sam sees a car parked on the side of the street and he stops. If someone pulls out of their driveway he stops.
That's exactly what I did too...I wasn't perfect and sometimes I took risks by bringing him to the creek when he didn't have all his shots. But now that I know more, I would wait. Once he's had his last vaccine, fields are a better place to walk because the ground is softer. But this is where I made another mistake - I took my dog to the greenbelt too often (because he was a hound I knew that's where he was happiest) but it made socialization harder!

Maybe you could try and desensitize Sam to cars by having him explore yours and maybe taking him for rides (I am making an awful assumption that you have access to a car!)

Keep us updated on Sam's progress - I hope to see some pictures of him soon!
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Lissa:

Yes we take Sam for car rides in his crate... he really really doesn't like that but I drive my kids around to their sports and don't want him to be left at home so I figured I was being kind.

Thanks for the tips...we will wait till vaccines are all done. Maybe I will even tape the engine and play it inside to desensitize him to ???

Gotta go to a meeting . will check back again.

sue
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebruce
and this new puppy is already making it so easy for me that I want to make sure I DON'T make any mistakes this time.
Sounds to me like you're off to a GREAT start with your new pup! please do keep us posted (with pics!)
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Ok, so maybe I'm not as protective as some, but by 10 weeks I was taking Charley up and down the road on a leash. We didn't linger in puddles or anything but it got him out there. At first he did like yours, wasn't keen on motor vehicles (major freak out when bus went by) but over time and exposure he got over it. Maybe you could play in the driveway a bit and get him used to nothing bad happening there. When you take the kids places, take him out of the crate and let him sniff around (you'll probably want to avoid parking lots) and get used to be out and about but more importantly how to behave on a leash. This dog is going to be big and starting with the leash now, like you've done is probably best.
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM

He has a pretty strong memory

Thanks for the input Petfriendly... one thing I am noticing about Sam is his memory... If I took him out one route and then tried to change it a bit the next time... he would pull and try to insist on going the way he knew... in the same way.. if we have a bad time on the leash... he remembers the next day and refuses even more. I know there is a fine line between forcing the issue and turning them off to something... which is why I was looking for direction.

I took him out in the back yard last night and played with him... not sure if I should even bother with the leash back there or just give it a break for a couple days...

I might be wrong here... but I would like to minimize the battles we have while he is so young... he definitely has a bit of a stubborn streak but with the hound dog he also equally sensitive so I need to be firm without going too far. Since he is so young... not sure where that line is yet.

When he does his play biting we yelp and then ignore so that he will learn playing cannot include the mouthing... anyway, because he is so sensitive it bothers him so much when we do that ... that he puts himself on a timeout on his bed for a few minutes... it breaks my heart
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM

One more question about the leash and walking

Hi everyone.. I know we discussed the last couple days about holding off taking Sam for walks until his is done his vacinnations and I completely agreee... however, now I have still the same problem that started off this thread... and that is him resisting the leash. I am trying to teach him recall and as well drop it and can't do that without the leash... Sam pulls back as soon as you try to lead him with the leash. Again, I don't want to hurt him and I don't want to create a power struggle... any thoughts???
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

just my 2 cents...

take it slow, and intice him to go w/ you (have the leash on him, but use your super-happy-party-time! wooo hooo! voice to get him motivated to go w/ you) You can only imagine how incredibly stupid I sounded to my own neighbors last year when my pup was so young... "c'mon, yayyyy, let's go, wooooooo, yippee we're walkin! hoooooray!!!!"

have you tried a toy to motivate him to go w/ you?

keep a very light puppy leash on him in the house, let him just drag it around so he gets used to it.
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Sam looks like he thinks I have lost my mind

When I do the happy voice, he tilts his head and looks at me like I have completely lost it... sometimes he turns away as if I am embarrasing him... I guess I will just keep at it.

I will put the light leash on him... although I am sure he is going to try chewing it if I leave it attached but I guess I can spray it with bitter apple???
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL... yes, the dog looks at you funny, then suddenly everyone you pass looks at you like you've lost it.

yes, try the bitter apple. My pup chewed through 3 leashes... and now (even at 1 yr old) has almost chewed through his 4th. thank goodness nylon leashes are inexpensive. I did try a very very very lighweight chain one at one point - but we're not permitted to use anything except nylon in our training classes, so I stuck w/ the nylon ones.
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Every time he stops and pulls against the leash and you stop too - you just taught him that arguing works and he's in control.
So here's the trick. You are going to teach him coming to the pressure releases the pressure.
Face him - leash is on him - you are both on carpet. Gently pull towards you - even if he resists you continue pulling gently towards you. The micro second he takes a step in your direction let the leash go slack and praise him. Keep doing this - it could take a few minutes. But he will start to give to the pressure more quickly each time. he is learning that coming to pressure feels good and arguing gets him nowhere.
Any time he resists like that DO NOT stop, just keep gently pulling. If he does the 'flip out' on the leash - just hold steady but don't give to him. He will quickly figure out that he is causing all of his own discomfort and stop.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended

Last edited by tenderfoot; March 11th, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:08 PM

thanks so much

Hi Tenderfoot and Jessie76.. thanks so much... these are great tips and I am going to try to work on them tonight and this weekend.

He is a bit of a stinker so I wondered if we were having teensy power struggle. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old March 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the advise

Hi Tenderfoot and Jessie:

Just want to let you know that I worked with Sam last night and this morning with the leash and we have lift off!!! He dragged his but a bit but as soon as I felt a bit of release and let the leash go loose he figured it out that if he wanted it to be more confortable he was able to make it so. Of course it turns out I have discovered he has a bit of an attitude.. .even after praising him for doing such a good job... it almost seems like he knows he was played and now he is doing a very good job trying to give me the cold shoulder.... He looks at me directly and then walks over to my son to cuddle... oh well, at least he is walking around the kitchen on the leash and as well, I am using when I take into the backyard to "do his business".
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Yeah! You got skills! (as my son would say). It is kudos to you that you were able to sense the right time to release the pressure and get his brain working. I am so impressed!
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended