Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Member questions - Podcast #48 with Tenderfoot Training is live

Hi Members,

Our next podcast will be an interview with Doug or Elizabeth from tenderfoottraining.com

Normally the subject is chosen beforehand... but for this podcast, we'd like the members to choose the topic. Maybe someone is having a problem with their dog?

Anyone got any good questions/suggestions for our expert trainers?

Many Thx!
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I think alot of people have problems with dogs that exhibit aggressive behaviour with other dogs while on or off leash. Perhaps they can address the difference between dominent behaviour vers aggressive behaviour and how to address both. Maybe even throw in possession aggression.

There seems to be many topics in regards to this and I think we can all learn the differences with all and how to correct/teach/train and of course differentiate between these behaviours.

What do you think???
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey how about resource or food aggression and what to do to correct?

(I think I can think of 1000 things).
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I too was going to suggest on-leash agression as the topic. Skylar is a fool on leash, I sometimes just throw my hands up in frustration because she never seems to get it, no matter how much we try.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Half Way To Crazy

How to bark on command and stop on command (mostly stopping on command)

so no one has to go through a barkfest everyday
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
How to bark on command and stop on command (mostly stopping on command)
This one has my vote.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmax View Post
i think alot of people have problems with dogs that exhibit aggressive behaviour with other dogs while on or off leash. Perhaps they can address the difference between dominent behaviour vers aggressive behaviour and how to address both. Maybe even throw in possession aggression.

There seems to be many topics in regards to this and i think we can all learn the differences with all and how to correct/teach/train and of course differentiate between these behaviours.

What do you think???

please, please, please!!!!
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - please keep them coming.

If we covered the topic in a previous podcast - we'll likely do another topic - just an FYI. Here are some topics that we have done in the past. They are located in the blog here http://pets.ca/blog/
many thx - Marko

46 - Getting your dog to do its business on command - Interview with Tenderfoot Training

February 16th, 2009 by Marko

Pet podcast #46 features an interview with Elizabeth Simpson of Tenderfoot Training. Many dog owners have issues with getting their dogs to do their business outdoors during a walk in a timely fashion. A frequent problem is defecation in the house AFTER the dog has just come in from a walk. Don’t worry, your dog is not broken and it’s not trying to upset you in anyway. In this interview we discuss what it takes to get your dog to poop and pee outdoors when you want it to.

#43 - How to greet strange dogs - Interview with Tenderfoot Training

October 14th, 2008 by Marko

Pet podcast #43 features an interview with Doug Simpson of Tenderfoot Training. In this interview we discuss how to greet strange dogs and common mistakes people make when greeting dogs. One point in particular is that contrary to popular thinking, we don’t need to shove our hands in a dog’s face for the dog to smell us to know that we are ‘good’. That can make a strange dog VERY uncomfortable and besides, a dog’s nose is 1000 times more sensitive than a human’s nose. This means that if the dog can see you, the dog can ALREADY smell you from afar.

Dog whisperer - what is a dog whisperer - Pet podcast #32 - Interview with Tenderfoot training

November 30th, 2007 by Marko

Pet podcast #32 features an interview with dog trainer - dog whisperer Doug Simpson of Tenderfoot Training. In this podcast we talk about what is a dog whisperer? These days we hear the term ‘whisperer’ used loosely (dog whisperer, horse whisperer, ghost whisperer) and tend to associate the term dog whisperer with only one trainer Cesar Millan. Doug demystifies the philosophy and we discover the secrets behind dog whispering.

Humping Dogs and Mounting Behavior

Pet podcast #23 - Interview with Tenderfoot Training
August 13th, 2007 by Marko

Pet podcast #23 features an interview with Elizabeth Simpson of Tenderfoot Training. This is a fascinating pet podcast where we discuss why both spayed and neutered dogs, as well as intact dogs exhibit humping and mounting behaviours. Elizabeth also explains how to deal with this issue. This week’s ‘Good Mews’ story is a story from the August issue of BusinessWeek where we learn that in this pet economy you can buy artificial testicles for your dog called Neuticles. The premise behind this product is that your male dog or cat should not feel bad about its appearance after it has been neutered.

Dogs that Pull, Collars & Leashes

Pet podcast #18 - Interview with Elizabeth Simpson of Tenderfoot Training
June 1st, 2007 by Marko

Pet podcast #18 features an interview with dog training expert Elizabeth Simpson of Tenderfoot Training. In this interview Elizabeth gives us a primer on good collars and good leashes. Then we tackle the problem of dogs that pull on their leash when you take them for a walk.
Links referred to in the show:
- Anti bark collar video
Jumping Dogs

Pet podcast #13 -Interview with Doug Simpson of Tenderfoot training
March 15th, 2007 by Marko

Pet podcast #13 focuses on an interview with Doug Simpson of Tenderfoot Training. In the interview we talk about problems and solutions for dealing with dogs that jump on their owners and guests that come to the door. Doug’s training techniques are extremely creative, non-aggressive and based on love and respect for your dog. We even get into the concept of praising your dog with whispers instead of the usual high pitched voice. Tenderfoot Training has put out a HIGHLY recommended video that you can choose to purchase as well.
Starting your Puppy off Right

Pet podcast #9 on Pets.ca - www.pets.ca
January 16th, 2007 by Marko

Pet podcast #9 features an interview with Pets.ca training expert Elizabeth Simpson of Tenderfoot Training. In this episode Elizabeth gives us TONS of information on starting your new puppy out right. There is a lot of great information in this half hour interview and you WILL learn something new.
Becoming a Great Leader to Your Dog

Pet Podcast #2 on Pets.ca - www.pets.ca August 20th, 2006 by Marko

Pets.ca - Podcast#2 is ready for downloading or subscribing.We just finished our pet podcast#2 where we interviewed Doug Simpson of Tenderfoot training and received some EXCELLENT advice on how to be a leader to your dog
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Um, I am personally having a problem with keely..

When somebody walks down the road (Our house is far from the road) Keely freaks out. She barks, growls, and runs around.. She has escaped not once but TWICE. The first time my dad came home and before i could catch her, he opened the door and she darted out into the road ,as the person was across the street. And we live on the highway with cars coming at 80 km/h.. And she just ran out in front of them.

The second time, was similar, except she was hookedd on outside and my mom was watching her through the wondow of the door, waiting for her to do her business, Somebody was walking up the road, She heard them and did the whole bark, and freak out thing. And she slipped her collar and ran out into the street. AGAIN. Thankfully the person walkig up the street crossed the road and started walking up the driveway so mom could catch keely.

And when we are walking, She And there is a person walking on front of us, or walking toward us. She Will bark and growl and try to run after them.
If they are walking ahead of us, She wont stop barking until they are out of site or turn in somewhere.

The thing is. When they are walking by the house and she gets off. she will run at them, but if they step towards her, she will run away from them and bark, and when they stop, she runs after them again.

And on walks she will stop barking if i get close to the person and talks to them. And if they bend down to touch her she will submit to them

I honestly dont know what to do. Im not sure if its agression or not?
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM

As an update - this podcast has been recorded and is currently being edited and will be live within a few days.

The following 2 topics from this thread were discussed in depth - Many thanks for all the suggestions!!!!!

Benmax - I think alot of people have problems with dogs that exhibit aggressive behaviour with other dogs while on or off leash. Perhaps they can address the difference between dominent behaviour vers aggressive behaviour and how to address both. Maybe even throw in possession aggression.

There seems to be many topics in regards to this and I think we can all learn the differences with all and how to correct/teach/train and of course differentiate between these behaviours.

What do you think???

Elliesperfect - Another idea would be to ask them about how they play with their dogs. What are some good ways to spend time interacting with your dog that isn't (directly) training?
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter