Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM
border collie mama

at the end of my leash

i was just wondering what everyone thought about the show and his techniques. i personally think he does a really good job (along with the families he works with) he is quite strict..and sometimes a little in your face, but his techniques really work, i have seen him help families with a dog that constantly tries to run away, but by the end they were able to leave the gate door to their back yard open and the dog would just lay there and same with the front door, even when other dogs walked by. i think he is great what does everyone else think?
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Yes I have watched the show, and I do like him!

I remember another thread about this http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....+training+show

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I think he's obnoxious and has a huge ego. Not that some of his training techniques don't have merit (like the umbilical leash stuff), but the show is really more about him pop-psychologizing the dog owners and their issues, not about training dogs. I've been known to watch it anyway, though.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Garden nut

I don't get that show. What channel does it come on? We have Starchoice here. Maybe they just don't carry it.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
border collie mama

CearaCQ it is on the life or slice channel, as it is now called.
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Garden nut

Oh, ok!! Thanks so much! I'll have to see about adding that channel.

I like having those shows on TV. Belle cocks her head from side to side and listens to the barking. It's more of a selfish entertainment for me I guess.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM

I love that show, I keep waiting for somebody to pop him in the head for being so smug and obnoxious. He's right most of the time though, at least about the stuff pertaining to dogs. The one thing I do like about him is that everything he does with the dogs is very do-able, you know? Nothing earth-shattering, it usually comes down to walking/exercising the dogs regularly and being consistent with them. There's not really anything you see him do that you can't do, or that you think only he can do, he just gives the people the tools to take control. He's pretty extreme the way he talks to people, but I guess that's why he's on tv eh! I gotta say, if I ever paid for a trainer who talked like that to me I certainly wouldn't be happy, but it's pretty entertaining.
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM
border collie mama

i try to do some of what he said, but the not talking to your dog, because they learn mostly through body language (which i persoally agree with ) i just can''t do that, i look at enzos face and i just cant help my self..but maybe if he told me to not to i might not because i think i would be pretty scared of him. but i like how he just gets in there and tells them the truth, which most of them deny at the beggining. i just wish he would come over to this side of canada for a while and hold a couple seminars type of thing because i know i could use a bit of help with getting enzo to understand i am alpha, but oh well and CearaCQ i would defiantely get the channel to watch him..plus there is lots of other good shows on that channel, but you might be able to find the episodes on youtbe.com....
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I just find his hardassed attitude towards some of the owners a bit too much. I agree some people need a wakeup call but this guy is just an *******, imo. I agree with whoever said he has a big ego. I can't watch the show cuz of that.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:36 AM
-

I've never seen it. I do get the channel though.....what day/time is it on?
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

He does have a big ego. No way would my dog not be allowed in "our" bed. I saw a segment the other night during which he told the owners that the dogs should not be on the bed or furniture. As if this is going to happen! He does have some good ideas - but for once, I wish I would see one of these shows taped in the Great White North - Toronto - or somewhere else with lots of snow.
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
- but for once, I wish I would see one of these shows taped in the Great White North - Toronto - or somewhere else with lots of snow.
Actually, the show is filmed in Calgary. In the summer, mind you. Not that we typically get as much snow as Tdot does, or at least not enough to have call in the army !

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM
border collie mama

Rainbow, i am pretty sure it is only on on the weekends, asnd somtimes it is on twice in a row on the natioal geographic channel
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Garden nut

I changed the channel line up on our satellite and got that channel. Did some searching with the remote and found an episode for tomorrow at 4 pm. There was one this morning at 1030 but they hadn't fulfilled the channel change at that time so I missed it.

This site gives a schedule

http://www.slice.ca/Shows/ShowsPage....itle_ID=105200

They list an old show titled "Atlas Shrugged" and I thought, "hey that's Ayn Rand's novel name... do they have the right to use that as a show title?"

Last edited by CearaQC; December 5th, 2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:23 PM
border collie mama

CearaCQ did you get a chance to watch this show? i am watching it rght now and looking at the schedule you posted it appears that it is on more often than i thought, it comes on at 5 over on this side of canada. hope you got to see it
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Garden nut

Got to see it for the first time tonite at 4.

The whole show I was thinking WTF does this guy think he's doing? People counseling? Marriage saving?

That couple had way more problems than just with the dog. I can't believe they filmed that to air on TV.

The show was more about the people than the dog.

Will watch a few more episodes and see if my opinion improves.
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:48 AM
border collie mama

CearaCQ i think your opinion might improve a bit but not sure how much, i thought the same thing at first like oh who des he think he is superman or sometihng savig everyone and their relationship, but i think he does really help and the dog does become well trained, it we saw the same one it was aboutsome small dog (dont remember the breed) and they were having troubles with the dog like the dog wouldntlet the husband sleep in the bed and what not and wouldnt walk on a leash, but in the end when they let the dogs leash go and he ran, when they called him he came running back an if they keep working on it i am sure it wont run away, but just watch a few more shows to see what your final opinion is, is all yo can do i guess
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Garden nut

That's the episode I saw! hehe

I still like watching Cesar on National Geographic because he makes funny faces.

But any doggie tv show is good, so I can have entertainment watching Belle react.

Saw a movie on Turner Classic Movies the other day and it was set in Victorian British time period and there were policemen using whistles to chase a murderer, and Belle came out of a deep sleep and ran to check on her pups. She couldn't figure out where that sound was coming from. Too funny. The whistles didn't sound anything like a puppy.
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
I still like watching Cesar on National Geographic because he makes funny faces.

LOL you right he does, he even looks like a dog sometimes!!
I still think Cesar is great!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old December 13th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Me too, I like Cesar, he cracks me up!! His accent like when he says Shepard - it's Cheperd, makes me laugh, or when he imitate the dogs, cracks me up!! (I also think he's kinda cute - is that weird?)

I find the End of my Leash good techniques however it never really shows the dogs progress except the very first and very last days, more human relationship based. I have called his number to get info on the fitness program he runs in Calgary, I think Dazy would love that but I think I need to get in better shape before attempting it, otherwise i will be the fat kid he yells at! The classes he has locally look good too, but they are very pricey! I'd have to leave the bait bag home tho, he doesn't allow or support treats or tennis balls or toys....I'd be in big trouble if he came to my house...YIKES!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM
border collie mama

ford girl, your lucky to live around where he works, i wish i did, i know i would join any of his classes in a heart beat, although if i did join the fitness one i too would have to get in a bit better shape but i like how he doesnt use treat, but i think using tennis balls should be allowed, they do need a small reward for all their work, although i think he does allow praise..? and i agree that they dont really show the progres with the dogs, which i would really like if they did so you can see exactly what they are doing, like i want to know if they do any obedience training during the couple of weeks, and how do they get the dog to obey them when they cant speak to the dog..? but what ever he does sure does work!
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Garden nut

I happened to see a couple more episodes this weekend. Caught them on National Geographic Channel and there were two in row, as well as a Cesar episode.

Anyway I still think Brad's a jerk but he's right most of the time. Don't really care for the shows being mostly people-based instead of about the dogs. We have enough "reality" shows on TV about people with problems.

I don't disagree with the verbal silent treatment. Dogs don't think in words like we do, or at least I assume so. But some of the people he works with thinks he's whacko for saying "no talking for 2 weeks."

But IMO he's rather a turn-off because he seems like he'd treat a woman like a dog. Sit, stay, no treats, I'm the boss.
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
But IMO he's rather a turn-off because he seems like he'd treat a woman like a dog. Sit, stay, no treats, I'm the boss.
LMAO.....and "no talking for 2 weeks"!!

Old December 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

The one last night was good, I've seen most of them, it's good to see new episodes on. It was a doby pup, rambuncious and crazy, and all if needed was play time, discipline and a walk every day. The owners didn't know how to play in dog terms. It seems alot of people just forget about exercise and play and how important it is for dogs of all ages.

The obedience classes Brad offers in Calgary always take place in a different spot, and usually right down town or a busy park or off in the bush - it sounds very good cuz it's outside where all the real distractions are, where you are put in real life situations. It's expensive but I think it would work well with my dog who tends to be very silly - so a more serious tone might do her good, we don't speak seriously to her very often, but when we do she listens carefully! ha!

I used treats and praise when Dazy was younger, and now we don't use treats very often, except while teaching something new. She doesn't seem to need them, so I think the key to that is phasing them out sooner then later, then just demanding the behavior from them as they get more confident.

As for Ceaser, he's on every day at 3-4, and saturday at 10 and 5, for an hour. National Geographic Channel. I still like it better then E.O.M.L. but thats cuz it focuses on behavior not relationships.

Old January 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM
border collie mama

ooooooh! new at the end of my leash, they have four out of control dog, 3 are BIG! dogs and then i smaller one. and the owner just doesnt want to believe that her dogs are bad behaved and she is like "i dont want to push his training methods on my dogs" i mean i dont even think they get exercised. the kids dont even want to be home because the dogs just make to much noise, so they either stay out wayy late untill the dogs in bed or they just stay away from them. i honestly dont even see how she thinks they have control, brad goes does Boscoe ( one of the big, aggressive dogs ) sit and she says yes and askes her to make him sit she says it about 3 times and give up these people are going to get there a**es whooped! and have a serious reality check!

Last edited by allymack; January 20th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

I am just curious, does anyone know what a coure or seminar costs with him? I think he is a very talented man but yes, the show often focuses too much on the people part of it and not about how to help your dog if you are in a similar situation.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Not sure of the cost offhand, just google his name or the show and it comes up, then you can find her own personal web page, I think the class I looked at was $500 or so??? Not sure tho. I don't know if costs are listed, I did speak to a person on the phone when I called.

I'd love to do his 4 legs to fitness class, looks awesome!!

Old January 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

I have been on his site and I think I have read it from corner to corner. There is no mention of cost anywhere (unless if I missed it). I would love to do the fittness one as well, if only they had one in Ottawa. Calgary is a bit of a hike for me. LOL
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
border collie mama

i know, i wish they had a whole bunch of his schools every wheres, casue i mean flying out once a week to go to his clsses might get a little pricey.. but i sure would love to do any of his classes, or even talk to him on the phone becasue i know he could help with enzos dog to dog aggression in a heart beat! but there also is a person around town that is like a dog whisperer, so if i have to i will try that out. but i agree that they dont show enoguh of how the help the dog and they show more of how they help the family, which isnt as helpful as it could be.