Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 15th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'm a softy

barking at sounds on t.v.

Does everyones dogs bark when someone on t.v knocks or rings a doorbell? I mean it is kind of funny... But does anyone know if it is possible to get them to know the difference? I can't count how many times I have had a baby sleeping and someone on a movie rings the doorbell and sends my dogs to alert me. The thing is I like my dogs barking at the real door, they always bark three times and then sit, and I love that! Its just the fake ones that are starting to drive me nuts lol!!!!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I would like to share something really funny. If I say "Come in" whether I'm in the house or back yard, my Boston barks as if someone is at the door. It's pretty hilarious. (no one was really there)
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hi Luvmylabs nice to see you back again

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My girl Halo will sometimes bark at the door on TV, but you know she's a lab Shadow chases the animals but doesn't bark.
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM

you could try looking into getting a new tone for your doorbell. If you can find (and afford, I have no idea what the cost would be for something like this) to have the sound changed to something distinctive, like a brief bit of music instead of the more standard 'ding dong', it should be fairly easy to train your pooches to alert only over your tone, rather than ALL doorbells.

not sure about the knocking, though. maybe if you have a recording you could play on tv of someone knocking, and get someone to help out with knocking on your actual door, you could correct when they respond to the tv, and praise like mad when they respond to the actual knock. their hearing is definitely good enough to tell the difference in where the sound is coming from, so they should get the idea fairly quickly.
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I would like to share something really funny. If I say "Come in" whether I'm in the house or back yard, my Boston barks as if someone is at the door. It's pretty hilarious. (no one was really there)
That is very funny, Marty11. A bit like me pretending to hold a fly spray can and going "Sssssss" - sends mine crazy.

A cattle dog I gave to my mother used to watch TV. When mum told me I thought yeah, sure, but on a visit, and with no prompting, the dog came in at the start of this (animal) program, sat there for half an hour, then got up and went back to the kitchen. I suspect that my mother had programmed the dog .... though he did actually watch the screen, he wasn't acting like he was there to be close to her. Weird ! If all of mine barked at noises on TV I think we'd stop watching TV.
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM

My dog doesn't bark too much when the TV is on, but he definitely won't stick around to watch a show with me. hehe
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM

I've had dogs that barked at the TV, but it was more isolated to commercials. Several years back there was a Domino's pizza campaign "Get the door, it's Domino's" that had a doorbell ringing. Tipper went crazy for that one.

Cassidy barks and howls for the whistling on the Febreeze commercial. It is odd what can set them off.
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM
NOT a senior member

One of my Minpins "Emmy" is a TV watcher. She is the only one, it's almost like the other dogs don't notice the TV at all, but she will watch any animal show, run and bark and go nuts every time.

Her favourite show is "Meerkat Manor", she will sit and watch the whole program, when she isn't running crazy at the TV. It's very strange because the other Minpins just look at her like she's nuts.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......