Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Cool tikipug

i have a female spayed pug almost 4 years old. in may she had surgery to correct a vaginal stricture and hypoplastic vulva. she has had chronic uti's. she has been doing fine until yesterday when i saw blood in her urine. i had hoped after all the diagnostics and surgery that the problem would have been taken care of. what else can it be? the docs have done all kinds of xrays, ultrasounds, digital exams, blood work, etc. i travel alot with my husband and we always have the dogs with us. but when we have to go to a vet out of town, i seem to get so many different opinions on what to do. i guess after this infection is cleared up, and talking to my vet and surgeon when i get home next week, is there anything i can do as far as holisitic, herbal, supplements to help prevent these uti's? thanks for any help.

Last edited by tikipug; June 29th, 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: want to edit title?
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM

I think your girl should go back to the vet to make sure this bleeding from yesterday wasn't as a result of something from the surgery tearing

Has she had a bacterial culture done on her urine?

I know Cranberry pills have been used to help/clear up UTI's in both humans & dogs but you should talk to a homeopath vet for instructions on dosage and which brand is safe & effective for dogs.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
-

Cranberry pills are of no use if there is already bacteria present in the urine.

Encourage her to drink lots of water to flush out her bladder. Boil some chicken to make some chicken broth for her. If you buy the canned make sure it is low sodium and dilute extra well. You could also buy a premium quality canned food (Innova EVO, Wellness, etc.) and add water to them to make a slurry.

Also, a culture & sensitivy test is a definite must so she can be prescribed the proper antibiotic. Sometimes they need to be prescribed for a couple of months to finally get rid of the infection.

This website has some good information....

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/utis/

Good luck.