Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 10th, 2008, 06:11 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Anytime love4.
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:12 AM
head in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
Such a graceful thank-you despite the way nolisa75 was greeted and treated by some "members" of this board.

*raises hand* for once I have to agree to a point im taking to lurking more on the forum to find answers rather than asking as ive seen many first posters getting their head bit off with asking a question...
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hi dutty, Not being confrontational so don't worry, just curious, if you got the original information that we did, how would you have posted.
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:22 AM
head in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Hi dutty, Not being confrontational so don't worry, just curious, if you got the original information that we did, how would you have posted.
i wouldnt have ... i dont have any knowledge about new mommy cats therefore I dont comment on anything that I dont know anything about....i just read and get shocked at some snappy comments some new members get....
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:25 AM
-

K fair enough, thanks for responding.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM

two more cents worth...

hi all.

been reading the continuation of this thread, and i would like to say i do think some people were unnecessarily harsh towards nosilia. she did state in her very first post that she had been to the vet, spent $200, but had no answers. she was posting on this board hoping to find help. and, although a few people posted that, yes accidents do happen, she was attacked by one poster who said "there are no accidents!" when it comes to a cat getting pregnant.

i have had the same thing happen to me (paying money and getting no answers or the wrong answers when my cat was sick). vets are wonderful, but they are not god - they don't always have the right answers. i spent oodles of money last year on one of my cats, being told she had really bad asthma. she was seen by a "fill-in" vet at my regular animal hospital, who gave her the wrong shot (short-acting depo-medrol) - and he had patsy's chart right in front of him! she is seasonally asthmatic, and needs the long-acting version of the shot once per year. since i was unaware that she had been given the wrong shot, i watched patsy struggle to breath for a week and a half - i even ordered a puffer online (which sits collecting dust in the closet now). many calls to the vet and trips to the emergency room later $$$$$, my regular vet came back from vacation, realized the error, and gave her the correct shot (i honestly thought she'd put patsy down, as her breathing had become that bad - the wheezing made me shudder). i couldn't believe i was taking home a live cat! by the next day, she was worlds better.

then again, this year (my reg vet was away again), i was warned by "fill-ins" she probably had a blockage in her bowel. they ran the gamut of tests: bloodwork, xrays, then barium and more xrays $$$$$. then my regular vet came back, and said there was no blockage in her system - that the original xray showed an empty bowel, for god's sake. she said her white count was high in her bloodwork, so she believed she had an inflamed pancreas, and it settled down with meds and a change in diet.

all i'm trying to say, people, is that diagnostics are very expensive these days. i'm luckier than most - i can afford it. but even i don't like paying hoardes of money to vets who are missing the mark. i thank god for my regular vet, because she knows her stuff. there are plenty of vets out there who have misdiagnosed my cats and charged me lots of money while doing it.

tracy
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Moosedry, I salute you. If I had to choose, I would rather a good diagnostician than a vet who plays kissy face with my dog or puts a hand on my shoulder when things get rough (although both are lovely). All we can do is educate ourselves as much as possible, and never ever check any part of your brain at the vet's door.
Next lesson: how to tell the vet that his/her 'educated' guess is a crock.
But even in a perceived crisis, guess where I'm going.

Last edited by badger; April 10th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I agree - there is TOO MUCH HARSHNESS in this thread.

I feel the passion coming from members but the way in which that passion reads is counter-productive. You cannot teach anyone anything with a snippy, rude tone. All this does is make the majority of newbies disappear with their problems intact.

There are 100 ways to say the same thing and you'll notice that diplomacy will always work better than a harsh tone. Always.

Please try to rethink how your message sounds BEFORE hitting the send button. I also say that the goal of our board is education....but you cannot educate anyone that you have put on the defensive.

many thanks,

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Glad kitty is doing well!!!

One part in all this that I don't understand is if she got out, 1 week before the spaying appt., how did you or the vet know she was pregnant? Wouldn't she just have been spayed anyway?

Hmmmm
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Are you sure your kitty had a temp of 106? That is actually within seizure/coma range and can result in death or cell/tissue damage. Also it is extremely rare for a cat's temp to reach this high with an infection, normally it is heat stroke that causes that type of temperature.

I guess that is why I thought it soooo imperative to take the kitty to the vet again, thought the kitty's life was in danger. Sorry for my abruptness. Glad to hear you are getting her fixed. Be careful, she can go into heat any time now!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM

right on!!!!!

thank you badger. i agree with you - give me a vet anyday who knows his/her stuff over being a marcus welby type. my vet is a very unsmiling, cut thru the baloney kind of person, which puts a lot of people off, but boy does she know her stuff. i am so thankful i have her! my cats are so lucky! i hate it when she goes on vacation (it's like patsy knows she's away, and decides to get sick then - LOL!).

and marko, thank you for your support as well. there were a few of us who felt the tone was becoming a little too stern in this thread - i'm glad you felt that, too. also, thank you for mentioning the importance of education. you're right - there are many ways to say something without coming off sounding judgemental or holier-than-thou - that kind of attitude is definitely counterproductive. are we not all here for the betterment of all the pets out there?

what can be accomplished by lashing out at an owner looking desperately for some help when her budget ran dry? nosila realized it wasn't a great thing that cookie got pregnant, but at least she was dealing with the results (she bottle fed the momma and babies, for gosh sakes - she obviously cares!). we have a society here in nova scotia that specifically takes care of orphaned/abandoned kittens (bless that director's soul - she has an incubator set up in her kitchen for the underage ones!). you wouldn't believe some of the horror stories i've heard about what some people have done with unwanted litters! i'd hardly compare nosila to people like that. i'm so sorry she felt so criticized in her hour of need - i truly hope she returns and sees what a wonderful board this is.

let's just chalk this all up to a lesson learned, okay everyone?

tracy