Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM

Murdered cat

Our cat Krinkles was killed by the Mississauga animal control after only 1 week while my wife and I were on vacation, despite having a microchip and a collar with ID. We are beside ourselves with grief and anger. What can we do?
Asking how and why,
Mark

Last edited by Krinkles; October 21st, 2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry, you must be in total shock. How did it happen? Did you leave the cat shut up and it escaped?
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM
~Cat Servent~

First, I am so so sorry for your terrible loss... That is just a nightmare.

I believe this is the story that was on the news, no? I only saw a short clip of it, and was so upset I couldn't watch the whole story so I can't imagine what it must be like for you.

What was the explaination they gave you for such drastic measures? Did they even scan for the chip? Contact the chip company to find you? Have you been in contact with or sought any legal advice yet? I wish I could be more helpful but I have no idea what you would do in that situation and I definitely want to know the outcome as mine are all microchipped too, and if that gives us no guarantee of safety for more than a mere week, I want to know! (I'm not a big fan of shelters or their policies for cats either.)

Again I am just so sorry and I pray for you and your family and send my blessings to your poor little , that she is happy and safe at the bridge.

ANd another thought.... I would contact the microchip company and see if they have any advice, maybe they have run into this situation before and could tell you what others did.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M

Last edited by krdahmer; October 21st, 2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: had another idea
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

We have a shelter here in Montreal that doesn't even look at tags, much less scan for microchips. There SHOULD be consequences. Unfortunately, many of them are run at such arm's length from the city, they are almost untouchable. At least you have gotten the word out, small comfort.

Last edited by badger; October 21st, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
-

I am so sorry for what happened. :sad: I guess the only thing you can do is raise a big ruckus to bring as much attention as you can to the matter. Hopefully, it will change their policies.

Again, my deepest condolences for your loss.
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

That's unbelievable! I'm so sorry for your loss. There has to be something you can do. Call the papers, call the news. It's outrageous! What's the point of getting a microchip or tags if nobody looks at it? You have those things on your pet because you want to find them should they run away.

Did they at LEAST apologize or give a reason as to why they didn't even check or had her put down after ONLY a week?
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM

Murdered cat reply

Thank you for your replies, this was the story on the news. I beleive this incident will be on cp24's animal house calls this week. It did receive quite a bit of attention from 5 news agencies. I was curious how many people on this site were aware of this story. I am ready to fight for our voiceless animals. Until my cat and dog came into our lives I was unaware how mch happiness these animals could bring. There is an investigation being done by the city, we will see what comes of it. I will call the microchip company, that is a great idea. I hope tis does not happen to any of you. If your pet is gone for even 5 minutes call the shelter right away. To answer the question, if h got lose, he was an outdoor cat who was picked up by a neighbor and taken to the animal control. No attempt was made to reach anyone. His name and both our #'s were on his tag. I started a fight and I intend to finish it.
Thanks,
Mark
Krinkles
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM

:sad: so sorry for your heartache

sweet Krinkles

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Heartbreaking story.

Another good reason for people to keep their cats indoors.

Cindy
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is just horrible, did your neighbour not know the cat belonged to you?

Hopefully if you get another cat, it will be indoor only, or supervised outside playtimes.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM

i'm sorry to hear about your cat.. i am glad to hear that you are not taking this quietly and giving her a voice
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is a really sad story and I talked with Mark by phone at length about this situation.

It will be the subject of this week's podcast (it won't be an interview) and it should be recorded tomorrow and released hopefully on Friday.

Thanks

marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM

So sorry about your loss. In our town they only keep cats for three days and then they are taken to S.P.C.A. which I think is terrible! Our tax money should cover a service that is desperately needed in all cities, that cats and dogs should be kept longer, but obviously animals are not their priority. I think you should contact the police, so they can do a thorough investigation. Also a lawyer and press charges against them. I don't know what your city bylaws are, but a cat with an ID tag and a microchip? There was enough information to identify the owner and something went terribly wrong. Has the city done this to someone else before, are they maybe breaking the law? Good luck to you and let us know what happened.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for such a tragic and needless loss!!!! How could they do that???? There was a similar incident with a shelter here not too long a go (a few yts ago) when neighbours caring for a cat allowed the kitty to roam and s/jhe was picked up, not claimed and put to death. I loathe =kill shelters!!!

If it were me,. I would be seeking legal recourse! It won't bring your cat back but it might make this shelter think again?
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

The podcast on this tragedy just went live a few minutes ago. It's a bit sad but hopefully pet owners can learn something from it.

All comments appreciated.

http://pets.ca/blog/?p=45
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:48 AM

Firstly I'd like to say how sorry I am for your loss. I know words can't bring Krinkles back but maybe they can soothe your aching hearts ever so slightly in knowing that others also feel the loss and anger that you feel.

I know if my dog was ever picked up because he'd gotten loose he'd be put down as well. Even though his is both microchiped and tagged he has fear aggression and I know that MAC wouldn't think twice in their decision about him.

Secondly everyone here at MHS is on your side, feeling your pain and giving our sorry's. We're fighting for a change in how MAC is operated in memory of Krinkles and all the other animals that MAC has put down. One week simply isn't enough let alone three days. We've been aware of this operations ways for several years we to have lost several of our animals to the hands of MAC and have been trying to get a change. Sadly it's a slow moving train and the ones who are paying are much loved fur babies like Krinkles.

Again I cannot expressed my sympathy strongly enough in words.
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. What a nightmare that must have been for you to return to.

I am in shock reading this. I was not aware that any kill shelter would euthanize an animal after such a short period of time, unless the animal was sick or injured. I cannot believe that these pets are not even getting a chance at a new life.
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:11 AM

This is downright abuse...

I am terribly sorry to hear about your cat, it's horrible that such things still happen. I had my cat killed one year ago by a bad vet, who didn't know his job, but at least he didn't do it on purpose, like the people who killed your cat!!
It's truly heart wrenching that they kill even cats and dogs who have an owner, it's horrible enough that they kill the stray ones..
But at least Canada has a better situation, in other countries these animals are killed either on the spot, or shot, gazed, some of them buried in a common grave while still breathing... absolutely indescribable practices...
Not to mention people often torture pets to death and nothing happens to them...
Anyway, there's nothing I can say to reduce your suffering, I know how it feels to lose a pet. But the one thing that did help me, after the first shock, was trying to help other animals in danger. I did that "in loving memory" of my cat, and I felt a little better. You could try it too...
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM

The same thing happened to us...

The Windsor Humane Society put down our cat less than 48 hours after they took her in, and she was nursing kittens. We went down after the first day she was missing and they said they had never seen her. The only reason we found out is because one of their volunteers saw our missing/lost ad in the paper and called us to tell us she was put down. I was a total mess. I'm truly sorry about your loss.
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Mama de cinco gatos

I am so sorry for you. And with the kitty still nursing. I just can't imagine the trauma to both her and her kittens. My heart goes out to you

Perhaps you can talk to Mark to see what his course of action was with Krinkles and the shelter that put him down?
Osa (Spanish for bear, 1 y/o tortie pointed polar bear girl)
Salsa (Spanish for mixture, 1 y/o happy drool calico girl)
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Unhappy sorry

I am very sad for your loss.

~karim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkles View Post
Our cat Krinkles was killed by the Mississauga animal control after only 1 week while my wife and I were on vacation, despite having a microchip and a collar with ID. We are beside ourselves with grief and anger. What can we do?
Asking how and why,
Mark

Last edited by Ford; August 31st, 2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 07:21 PM

What night does CP24 show Animal House?? The host has short blonde hair,correct???
I usually watch it if I'm channel surfing and happen to see it on.

Keep on fighting so other owners don't have to suffer the heartache you had to
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Compromised account

So sad.. :sad: I am very sorry for your loss. This should have NOT happened and now it makes me wonder if its even worth paying the money for the microchip and all that if nobody even bothers checking! I think the check should be mandatory!!! Once you got an animal in - run a scan, how long can it take, a whole 30 seconds?? Seriously!! Ridiculous.
And so sad.
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm speechless.
All I can say is I am sorry for your loss.:sad: