Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 29th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Angry Rhodesian Ridgeback attack !

Earlier today I did a fun quiz in a thread by Heelers Rock well its quite strange as I came out as a Rhodesian Ridgeback.The reason I say strange is because only this last weekend on Saturday in fact while out walking my female GSD Gypsey we were attacked by two of these We were walking in a park locally and while crossing a path which cuts across the park I noticed at one end in the distance two dogs with two people,Both dogs off leashes running around playing.Gypsey my dog was a few metres in front of me bussily sniffing the grass as we walked along, When suddenly I saw one of the two dogs look our way and start running towards us,The other dog senseing a chase started to follow suit,The first who was by now being called back by its owener just kept running towards us Now at first they were about 150 to 200 metres away,I orderd Gyp's to come CLOSE ! She came to me straight away thankfully and I then stood over her with my right leg tight agaist her rear and lent over her with my right arm across her chest thinking it safer to not put her on her leash and restrict her if needs be .My left leg was over her and I could now look in the direction the dogs were coming from still ignoreing thier oweners calls and closeing fast.As the first of the two came close groweling and teeth bared I shouted GO AWAY ! loud and firm but he kept comming so I punched out with left fist and caught him right on the snout.My knuckle actually made contact and caught his teeth because I ended up with a little trickle of blood on my hand after the incedent just a scratch thankfully As he bounced backwards from the blow the other dog came towards the rear end of Gyp's who by now was growling back and lungeing ,I managed to keep her in my arm and saw the dog comming in from behined so I mule kicked at him catching his left front shoulder and thankfull made a good contact which sent him sprawling.By this time the first of the two females with these dogs had the first dog hold and was attaching its leash to its collar,The other dog after getting up then ran back to its owener who wasnt far behined the first owener.As she attached her leash I stood up relaxed my grip on Gyp's and made her sit while I slipped her rope loop type leash over head ! Then I totally Exsploded on the two women not very gentlemanly and used a lot of words that maybe dont get a mention in Oxford English dictionary Both were appoligetic I was going to call the police but by the time they would have got there I think the oweners would have left the scene and as no one else was around it was a pretty much useless thing to try and report.Both dogs were Rhodesian Ridgebacks a breed I quite like but what stupid oweners to have these large powerfull dogs I think
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

This is outrageous and must have been just terrifying for you! I'm glad the dogs didn't decide to attack you as well.

Breed makes no difference when the owners are brain-dead and ignorant meatheads.

You should carry a stick when you go walking. Actually, a cane is a good idea and doesn't look so obvious.

You should also keep your dog on a leash as well, for her own protection and for yours, if a fight breaks out.
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Yep ! Was scary but I wasnt going to show any fear protecting my dog from attack and I was still shakeing from rage 15 minutes later when I got home to my wife and told her I will warn the other dog oweners I know locally and keep an eye for out these dogs in future
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

That must have been frightful! I am glad to know you two are alright. That is one reason I don't like to see any dog off leash, you never know what ones will attack! And it always seems that the ones that do attack, have stupid owners!!! And they always seem to blame the attack on you! Even if your dog is leashed!!
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:02 PM

OMG! How awful for you! Very glad to hear you're both okay! That could have turned very ugly if the dogs decided to retaliate against you. What a good girl Gypsy is to come when you called her, even with the two dogs bearing down on her. Don't know if you know this, but Phoebe had an "incident" with a large Rottie a couple weeks ago (I think - time seems to be slipping away on me ). At least the owners you encountered were apologetic - my idiot was yelling and swearing at me like it was my fault (Phoebe was on-leash at the time)!!
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad you are all unscathed. Irresponsible dog owners really piss me off, and they always have these beautiful dogs but have not a clue about them. Well I don't blame you for blowing up
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

that no good, poor gypsy. i wear steel cap work boot at all times when out with my lovely charlie for a very good reason, any one tries to attack us they will get a nasty little shock andi have found in fights, a good swift kick generally gets the attacking dogs attention and their owners (i tell the owners that they are next for kicking).

i once had 3 goldens attack us at once, they jumped the fence of their house and came for us (charlie was young about 1) they did beat her up a bit but boy did i beat them up a bit too, and the thier owner had the hide to try and start with me and commented 'that dog looks like a mutt anyway, i bet you dont even have her registered' that just shocked me, what because charlie has no papers it is ok to attack her as she is a lesser dog?? but then i pointed out my dog is insured and she would be sued for damages by my insurance company, that shut her up fast enough. i use that line often with agressive dogs owners.

but i reccomend steel cap work boots, that way you dont have to carry anything. at one stage i was carrying a squash racket for protection, but to the unaware they jsut assumed i would use it to hit her ball, which i did so it made it a very useful tool, good for fights and play.
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Love those steel toe Blundstones, they work really well Mel
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

you know what blundstones are, wow that is just wonderful . i dont really think any self respecting lass in the aussie bush could survive without a pair, and a bit of polish and youve got your boots for the pub too, oh so versatile (they dont stain when you spill beer on them ) and they now have a shock protection system that is great for longer walks and they are getting lighter with every new design, i wear mine bush walking all the time they are so light.

steel cap blundies, every one should have a pair
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been looking for a pair of those blundstones for ages... they are so hard to find!! I would LOVE a pair!!
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

try your local agricultural supplier, you know the guy that sells hay, poision and cattle stuff. that is where i buy mine from, they have a really nice cherry brown that i got this time, very cool color and very comfy and goes with so many outfits . i pay AU$65 a pair, so its not to expensive and one pair last me about 10yrs and that is wearing them all the time.

also you should be able to find stockists on the net, they are just great boots.

found this- www.blundstoneboots.com which lists international stores who stock them.
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I live in mine. You get them at the Austalian Outback shop on Queen West. They are the best things and the most comfortable. If you ever walk on a film set everyone is wearing them. I have had pa's go and get them for actors on films, they love them and will send them back for another pair to take back with them I dont think you can get them in the U.S.
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Well they are around 150.00 canadian and you can only get them in a couple of places
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

well bugger me dead that is interesting, i cnat believe these great boots are now out there, that is so good for aussie suppliers.

i live in mine to when i need shoes otherwise i dont wear any (thats probably why they last so long)

$150, our dollar is very similar in value, it may be worth finding a relo or frined in aus and getting them to buy for you and post, then it would cost around $70-80 instead, wow how bizare how bizare
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

My best mate lives in oz. Now that I have one pair she will send me more when I need them. How much are the all leather dress ones there here they are around 300.00
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

nah mate, this little chick dont wear dress shoes (or to much cow) so would not know, but i bet they are expensive, i was given a pair of them years ago but found the soles to slippery (i think that is why i got them in the first place) and gave them to someone else instead (my friends and i like to recycle).

but to hazard a guess, i would say at least $130+ just going from the mark up that they give you guys, but they are very fancy pretty shoes and thay are also a bit of a timeless fashion item, they can be wron forever and not go out of style.. but this bush billy just needs me normal blundies, they are fancy enough for me (but then i dont have a fancy job like yours or anything so i dont actually have to dress very well anyway which suits me )
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh mel I never dress up I was curious I love my rubber sole blunds jeans and sweaters for me. I cant think of the last time I put on a skirt,but usually for our christmas lunch at work
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

i hope i didnt come across rude, but i have read bits about your job and you deal with some pretty big names and fancy ppl so i would imagine you have to look nice for work
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Well you would assume that but we all dress very casual at work. When we are at camera our days are anywhere from 12-16 hours. So forget that dress up stuff, some nights I have to have a 15 minute power nap. Its funny when we were working on Chicago there was a pic of me and a few the other ladies in the office about 5 in the morning all dressed in terry robes with Renee all drinking coffees and we all look like something the cat dragged in. Renee told us she was taking the picture in case any of us ever said anything mean about her she would have it published, and tell nasty stories about the crews in Toronto.