Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM

Phosphates in lactose reduced cat milk ~ for CRF cat

Hello. I have only discovered this site recently and am very impressed by the information shared and the support offered by its members. Thank you.

This week we discovered that the gorgeous cat that 'adopted' us approximately 18 months ago has CRF. The finding was made by accident when her urine sample was tested whilst treating her for cystitis. The subsequent blood test showed her to have level 2 insufficency. Thank to this site I have learnt a great deal and will be much better equipped to help Clarence and ensure I know the right questions to ask the vet.

Ok, on to my first question. I have read much about the phosphate levels of food but little about lactose reduced cat milk. Is cat milk ok to be given to my cat? She readily drinks it but isnt so keen on water. I understand that fluids are important but wondered if anyone knew the phosphate level of cat milk. Thanks in advance
Old August 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forum

Have you contact the cat milk brand manufacture to request an accurate amount of phosphorus in the product?

What brand are you using?

I just looked up a couple of brands but haven't come across any info as yet that states the actual amount of phosphorus.

Many cats have problems digesting lactose in milk so for those cats it's not recommended, however I've had 2 cats that never had any issue with either milk or cheese.

I would say the phosphorus content of milk is generally not high enough to cause concern for a crf cat, there's not a lot even in whole milk.

I would be okay with giving it especially as your cat isn't drinking water readily enough.

Do you have a copy of the blood & urine results?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM

Hello, Thanks for the response Growler. No, I havent contacted the manufacturer but I will do so immediately. I dont have details of the blood test as my vet didnt volunteer the information. At the time I wasnt sufficiently knowledgeable to know what to ask. Im taking another urine sample in this week and will ask for more details. I have read many of your posts already and have learnt much from you. Thanks for all your hard work.
Old August 21st, 2011, 05:20 PM

You are welcome for any info I can provide to help you & your cat

When you see the vet next ask for a print out copy of the test results, when you have results if you can post the out-of-normal range numbers with the accompanying reference range we can have a look & see what sort of state she's in.

What is her name & what is she currently eating?

Old August 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM

Her name is Clarence. We were told of the problem on Friday. I have ordered Hills KD, Feline Porta 21, Purina NF Kiney function, Royal Canin Renal, Eukanuba Renal Formula. Like many cats she gets bored of food quickly and so requires variety. She 'adopted' us about 18 months ago. The vet thinks shes about 8 or 9 years old. Im hopeful that weve caught the condition fairly early. I will get more details from the vet know i know what to ask
Old August 21st, 2011, 05:55 PM

I'm hoping the food you've ordered is canned and not dry?

You can also see how Clarence likes the food with a teaspoon of water added to the canned to give her a little extra moisture.

Since you are in the UK there is a list here of canned foods Food Data Tables: UK Tinned and Raw Foods of other foods including non-prescription ones based in order of the phosphorus content on a dry matter basis - which is different from what you see printed on the label, essentially it's a calculation to remove water content to accurate compare different foods. Since many of the foods listed are not available in North America, I don't have personal experience with them, but I would look at staying with foods under and up to 1.00 - 1.20 max phos content on a dry matter basis.

There is a site here, if you haven't discovered it already in your reading, that is an excellent resource http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

My journey through CRF with my girl is here if you're up for a read, lots of good links & personal experiences http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:40 AM

Thanks Growler. Yes the food ordered is canned. Thanks for the links. Any experience adding cat nip to food? Ive also seen it suggested that it may be worth adding scrambled egg white to increase the protein. Apparently its a good source of protein with no phosphorous.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:02 AM

Apparently Whiskas reduced lactose cat milk is 0.09% phosphorous by volume
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:41 AM

If your cat normally reacts okay to a small amount of cat nip ie doesn't get aggressive/crazy hyper, then there's no problem adding a tiny pinch to the top of the food. In some it may act a bit like an appetite stimulant Of course there are cats who have no reaction at all to cat nip so it wouldn't affect them. My girl loved her cat nip - just made her drool lots & be very mellow, I did on occasion add a wee pinch to her food.

Egg whites or even better whole scrambled eggs are a great source of protein for a cat that likes it. I actually used to feed a bit raw to mine ever since she was a kitten, just as if you were making scrambled eggs but without the water instead add a tsp or two of milk.

As I suspected the cat milk is quite low in phos content & you should have no issues with that.

Have you tried a pet water fountain, or running tap to try to entice water drinking?