Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old January 31st, 2009, 11:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Talking Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie of Hazel Run

Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie had an unlucky beginning. Her first owner was a self-styled "dog broker" who didn't have the time to train, a love for dogs, or even room to keep her. He farmed her out to a buddy who had an empty outdoor kennel and there she stayed by herself for about 12 months. As a result, she never really bonded to humans early in her life, although she has a couple she really likes now

When she came to Hazel Run she was very shy and didn't know how to play with other dogs. But the Princess-Queen and the Sheriff took her under their paw and taught her what she needed to know. Now she can hold her own even against Bratty Brier.

Because of her upbringing (or lack thereof) she has always been somewhat aloof--if she's watching a squirrel or a butterfly, she turns off her ears to commands. But once you get her attention, she's very happy to come to you, her tail wagging all the way. Training has always been tricky, too--if you ask her to do something that she doesn't understand it disturbs her almost to the point of catatonia. :sad: Turns out that the best way to train her is to have her watch another dog (preferably our other orange, Ember--cuz oranges stick together, don't ya know ) do it first! It's slow, but we're getting there.

And, to keep this thread from getting any slower, without further ado I present Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie of Hazel Run!

Name:  Ms Macie 1-24-09.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  72.9 KB
"Any Doves over there?"

Name:  Ms Macie 1-26-09.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.0 KB
"How about Bunnies?"

Name:  Ms Macie in front of the garden 1-26-09.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  36.0 KB
"Toads? Oh, wait....too cold for toads. What a pity."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; January 31st, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Name:  Ms Macie 1-20-09.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  56.6 KB
"Maybe Turkeys under the feeder?"

Name:  Is that a squirrel! 1-20-09.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  54.4 KB
"Whoa! Is that a Squirrel?! Rats...no! Just some leaves..."

Name:  Snowy nose 1-20-09.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  57.2 KB
"I've been checking for Mole under the snow, but it's evidently too cold for Mole, too..."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

"Okay, this is boring. Time for my afternoon nap."

Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie heads for her favorite bed, turns around three times and snuggles deep into the pillow.

Name:  In on the joke 1-20-09.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  55.1 KB
"I'm going to dream of spring and Butterfly and Toad and Mole and ... Bird ... and ... and
Name:  Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie officially opens Mud Season 4-18-08.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  28.8 KB
... Luscious Mud... and...

Name:  Tired Macie 1-20-09.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  50.4 KB
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..."

sweet dreams Ms Macie

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

It's about time. I've been waiting for this thread on Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie..she is one goreous puppers.it's good that she is with you and not the brain dead people who left her in a kennel.
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
Live well, laugh often

Awwww Macie , I love how kind her soul seems to be even with such a rotten start. She just might be my favourite .... although Lil Belle and the Sheriff are definately up there ..... actually I'd take anyone of them .

I love that pic of her looking up for the squirrel .
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The really sad thing is that a couple of years after Ms Macie was rescued from the guy, he decided to have another go at it. His neighbors finally turned him in to the SPCA because his dogs were out in tiny filthy dog-runs with just those igloo things for shelter. The authorities made him give up the dogs--and that's how we got Brier. So Macie and Brier had something in common, more's the pity But Brier was only there for 6 months so didn't have quite the emotional disability Macie had.

We're just hoping the guy has given up the brokering for good, now

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

She is a little sweetie, Teri...no question of that She's really taken to cuddling at night...only she's still a little awkward at it. She often tries to curl up on my head!

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Awwwwww the one eye open pic and the last sleeping pic.i could cuddle with her for hours.

Hopefully he did give up brokering,Brier is another lucky one also they all are.
So after they were rescued from this guy were they in rescue long before you and hubby adopted them.?
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
So after they were rescued from this guy were they in rescue long before you and hubby adopted them.?
Macie was there for about 6 months...Brier only for 2 or 3 months. But there were lots of other dogs to play with and people there to dote on them, so they thought they'd gone to heaven when they got there. Coming here was just icing on the cake for them.

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:41 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Macie was there for about 6 months...Brier only for 2 or 3 months. But there were lots of other dogs to play with and people there to dote on them, so they thought they'd gone to heaven when they got there. Coming here was just icing on the cake for them.
I quess that's not too long being in rescue.as long as they got lots of attention.so with Macies emotional state they must have had to do some work with her.?

More pics of her would be great.she has the sweetest face and eyes
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:52 AM

Beautiful dog. I love the one eye open pic. too cute
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I was waitn for Macie's thread too. I just love this girl.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
-

I love the "checking for the mole" pic and the "winking" pic and the "zzzzzzz" pic .........Ms Macie is such a beautiful girl.
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
I quess that's not too long being in rescue.as long as they got lots of attention.so with Macies emotional state they must have had to do some work with her.?

More pics of her would be great.she has the sweetest face and eyes
I think the biggest help she got was the socialization with the other dogs there. It helped her appreciate the beauties of a Pack. When she first came here she was very shy of strangers, but with a little work, she got much more comfortable with humans...in fact, now she's swung too far in the other direction. She's almost too comfortable with them.

She's such a little waif.

In summer, when she's not watching Pesky Red Squirrels and Fat Gray Squirrels...
Name:  Macie loves to watch squirrels 6-5-08.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  16.1 KB

...or patrolling for the dreaded Dangerous Butterfly...
Name:  Macie on butterfly patrol 6-16-08.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie 8-30-08.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  17.0 KB
...then she's probably out defending the borders from Moles and Chipmunks. She's one of our best patrollers.

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
"Maybe Turkeys under the feeder?"

"Whoa! Is that a Squirrel?! Rats...no! Just some leaves..."
My two fave pics Ms Macie so purrty

She looks just smashing in her green collar too

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

She can really touch your heart. It makes me so sad when she gets catatonic in the face of something new. She has such a good personality otherwise, imagine how she would have turned out if she'd had a better beginning!

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep, green has always been her fave color, growler. It goes so nicely with her orange spots!

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:

In summer, when she's not watching Pesky Red Squirrels and Fat Gray Squirrels...
Oh and Love this one too

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Yep, green has always been her fave color, growler. It goes so nicely with her orange spots!
Green has always been Duffy's fave colour too! She now has a green collar too.

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
-

Hazel, I never heard Ms Macie's "story" before and, it got me to thinking (a very scary thought, I know ) .....but, could you post a thread on the "biographies" of each of the pack members?
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooooo....wait till I tell Macie that Duffy likes green, too!

It took Cole and Cass 2 months to teach Macie that it was okay to play. And when Brier and Grace came, she was still shy with them at first, especially with the big bruiser, Deputy Brier. But she soon was taking it to the big guy with impunity:
Name:  More play 3 1-29-09.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  33.7 KB

And I love the look she's giving him here:
Name:  More play 5 1-29-09.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  40.6 KB

This is the sort of thing that makes hazel feel the most

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

was it her that told Brier he was disqualified from the olympics? she's too cute. Isnt it wonderful when you see dogs teaching dogs?

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Hazel, I never heard Ms Macie's "story" before and, it got me to thinking (a very scary thought, I know ) .....but, could you post a thread on the "biographies" of each of the pack members?
It would likely turn into a novel. You know how that madame hazel is!

I've done a thread on Ember, Cass, Cole, and Grace...I suppose I could go back and add a little to them?

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
was it her that told Brier he was disqualified from the olympics? she's too cute. Isnt it wonderful when you see dogs teaching dogs?
Yep...he was pushin' it then, too! She had that same pugnacious look on her face when she disqualified him!

She loves it when the Pack is playing hard and noisily, but she hates it if they make her 'popular' (the brunt of all the attention). She'd much rather have Lil Belle and Cole be the targets so she can bark loudly at them from the perimeter of the action while the others go in for paw-to-paw combat with the popular one. One-on-one, though, she can hold her own with any of them. She has actually been known to play with the grumpy ol' King on occasion.

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM
-

Quote:
It would likely turn into a novel. You know how that madame hazel is!

I've done a thread on Ember, Cass, Cole, and Grace...I suppose I could go back and add a little to them?

Yes, I know how she is and that's why I love her.

Could you pleeeeeze persuade her into combining each of those threads into one that includes all of the pack.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:33 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:

...or patrolling for the dreaded Dangerous Butterfly...

...then she's probably out defending the borders from Moles and Chipmunks. She's one of our best patrollers.
[/CENTER]
Those are all wonderful pictures of her . She really has more of a delicate look about her then some of the others.

Quote:
And I love the look she's giving him here:
This pic cracks me up.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Could you pleeeeeze persuade her into combining each of those threads into one that includes all of the pack.
Oy...

Would this do?

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Those are all wonderful pictures of her . She really has more of a delicate look about her then some of the others.
She's smaller and less jowly than some of the others. Her conformation isn't very good for a setter--her head isn't right and her ears are set too high. But I think she's perfect just the way she is

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:46 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
But I think she's perfect just the way she is
No argument here .
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM
-

Quote:
Oy...

Would this do?
I never realized you had all that info there.

The boys are being bratty right now so I'll have to read it later when I can concentreate better.

And, thanks.

Tags
hazel run pack, ms macie