Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM

new here, looking for a companion..

Hi, Im new here and also interested in looking for my first companion (Dog)

I need help on picking out a dog perfect for my specification...
I'm honestly not into little yappy dogs no offense.. preferbly a medium size dog.

I live in an apartment, I have talked to my superintendent about it and he is fine with it as long as its not going nuts and getting complaints from neighbours.

I Work 5 days a week 8am-6pm
Im very active in my spare time I'm usually outside.. walking, jogging, rollerblading, out by the lake.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

are you hopng for a puppy or an older dog, i would personally suggest an older dog snce you work so much
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

have you looked at petfnder?
www.petfinder.com
you can find animals to your size locaton see anything you like do some research on the breed and try and find the best match
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome. I'd advise an older dog too unless you have someone that can come in every 3 hours or so while you're at work to take the puppy out and play with him. Not a good idea at all to leave a puppy home for that long of a time.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:16 PM
-

Same here, older rescues rock ! And by dealing with a rescue organisation , they will be able to "fit" you with the right dog for your lifestyle.
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:02 AM
NOT a senior member

The fact that your superintendant stated that this wouldn't be a problem, as long as you aren't getting complaints would cause me concern since you are not home most days. You cannot really know in advance how your new pet is going to react all alone, and if there was complaints....what now? I'd hate to see this new arrangement not work out because of the conditions that you knew in advance. You don't want to have to re-home this dog.
This could work however, if you have a constingency plan. Doggy daycare is an option worth considering, there are many. My concern for you is that a new dog is going to NEED alot of interaction and bonding time with its new owner, regardless of his age. Older dogs may have abandonment issues..if they are up for adoption, they may have seperation anxiety and if left alone for long periods can be miserable and destructive.
If you do not have anyone to consistantly let out your dog daily, or a daycare plan...sorry I cannot recommend a dog for you here. I really do not think that a rescue or humane society would release a dog to a situation like yours, they tend to have firm guidlines to ensure a permanent placement. For an arrangement like yours to be viable, it would be in the best interest for your new pet, ( you, and your neighbours ) to really think about this and weigh all possibilities. Good luck.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Agree with that too. A suggestion though: if you were to adopt an adult dog right about the time of the beginning of your vacation (whenever, spring, summer, any time), you would be able to work with the dog and let it get used to your being absent for longer periods of time. You may be lucky and find one who is ok being alone (leave plenty of toys and chewy things) or you may have to spend some of your vacation training the dog to support the loneliness (or get him/her a cat for company), but it'd be worth it.