Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM

hmm ya we switched to that a couple of bags ago and my guys had no probs switching and are doing really well on it (except I think Maia is too skinny so I'm supplementing her big time). Sam is doing well on it. He had a lot of dandruff about a year ago this time, but not this year.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM

Phoenix, switched to what? Lamb and rice?

ScottB, I just don't like how there aren't 4 ingredients before the fat.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM

yes the lamb one. Wanted to stay with canidae but give them a change of flavour when it came out. I have not found a big difference.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Regarding the salmon oil... It's just been proven that omega 3 on it's own can be detrimental in the long run, so add some primrose oil too... the ratio should be 6:3, 5:1 to 10:1
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Hmm, thanks.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
It's just been proven that omega 3 on it's own can be detrimental in the long run
hence the important of a fresh, varied and healthy diet to prevent deficiencies and overdoses (for both humans and dogs!)

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
hence the important of a fresh, varied and healthy diet to prevent deficiencies and overdoses (for both humans and dogs!)
I'm still looking into it (I don't really understand it, myself).

Most of your typical EFA suppliments use a ratio of 3:6 (let's forget 9 for a minute), 2-3:1 (roughly). Take the Missing Link, for example... 3 is 1000mg, 6 is 450mg. Nupro uses 1600mg of 3, 400mg of 6, and 450mg of 9. Yet it's been said that omega 9 decreases the concentration of 3 and 6... so why is there more of 9 than 6, and less of 6 than 3?

As for 9, there's just too much conflicting information to base judgement on it at all, so for my dog's health, I stay away from it (for now). And because the whole 6:3 ratio thing has just been proven, a lot of manufacturers aren't up to par with it yet, so the ratios are still 3:6, 2-3:1 (on average).

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future, as there's still WAY too much conflicting info out there.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM

I just emailed my supps company for the ratio... I could do the math, but it's easier to ask.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Which suppliment are you giving (and what's the company)?
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:38 PM

It's this one:
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...ts/biofats.htm
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM

That's Anipet. I could find out for you tomorrow if you don't have an answer. I just did a quick search... I HATE when products don't specify...

Edit: But it looks like almost 1:1 (515mg of one, 463mg of the other)

Last edited by Spirit; February 19th, 2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

my friends basset had alot of dandruff at one point, she tried all different doggy shampoos to no avail. Her vet recommended she try washing him with either diluted Selsun Blue (sp??) or Head and Shoulders --> the vet said it might be a fungus which'll be taken care of with those shampoos....hey they're tested on dogs, right?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Jemma's fur SUCKS! She got swimmer itch in the summer and lost 1/2 the fur on her back. She's only now starting to get her undercoat back. But she gets greasy so quickly and when I wash her (like last night) she gets HUGE dandruffs.
The greasiness is a good hint it is likely a health issue rather than a food issue, and as she gets older it will continue to get worse until you get to the root of the problem. And there are dangers to oversupplementing as well which could be adding to the problems. Oily skin and flakiness is usually a sign of a skin infection. Have you ever run a full thyroid panel on her, not just the T4 test? What is she taking for her incontinence? if a form of steroid could be decreasing her thyroid function
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Sorry, I didn't reply, OG. She's taking DES for her estrogen deficiency. (estrogen pills)

Her coat has gotten a million times better. She's been getting Barking at the Moon with Canidae lamb and rice with two squirts of the biologic vet fats per meal (or just one when she gets the coconut oil), 1 probiotic pill a day and a tsp of coconut oil here and there... Whew! I think it's the probiotics that did it though. They're super anti-yeast. Everything else just tweaked it, IMO.

I got my bunny back!

I looked back and realize that the ****s never emailed me back.