Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Agility addict

Hi

Where abouts are you? I raise and train JRTs and have rehabbed some pretty nasty biters for the JRTRO.

Yes she is NOT bad.. just a JRTtype who YOU have taught (unitentionally but still) to behave this way.

Its not hard to fix these problems... but it takes time and dedication. This is a bigger problem than can be fixed over the internet.

if you want you can email me greywyndcontact@hotmail.com or PM me.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Hi

Where abouts are you? I raise and train JRTs and have rehabbed some pretty nasty biters for the JRTRO.

Yes she is NOT bad.. just a JRTtype who YOU have taught (unitentionally but still) to behave this way.

Its not hard to fix these problems... but it takes time and dedication. This is a bigger problem than can be fixed over the internet.

if you want you can email me greywyndcontact@hotmail.com or PM me.
Well you can't get better than this! You are good people Dekka.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How nice of you to step in and offer your help, Dekka

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM

I am in Edmonton, Alberta.

What was awful about today was the first thing Toothy did at the dog park ....was LEAVE !! Ran out into traffic...luckily a nice man caught her and brought her to the side of the road where I collected her.

Determined to get her some excercise ...we go back to the park where she runs away again...this time into a residential area where I spent an hour in -30 C looking for her. When I found her she had icicles hanging from her lil' beard. : (

Tomorrow, I'm going to get a 50' piece of light rope to dangle from her collar so if she escapes again I stand a chance of catching her. We'll also practise coming when her name is called. With a light rope attached ...she'll have no choice but to come when I call her.

When I got home from work....she was out of her crate and cage/fence assembly. I made it smaller so that she can't climb on top of her crate and jump over the cage/fence thingy. She pooped on the floor by the front door. Where does all this poop come from ?? Her butt is like a poop machine !

She does like it in there, she went in just now and is relaxing.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

escapar,OMG is there no fence around the dog-park
Please do not let her off leash unless it's safe,you were two times lucky,maybe not three times.
I see Dekka joined in,too bad you are so far away,I am sure he/she could have helped your poor misunderstood pup.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, what a lot of good tips you've been given. It may seem amazing but I think I might have a new one that hasn't been mentionned yet. The Ultrasonic Bark Stopper. I've never used it but have heard it might work in cases like yours where you have the problem of your dog bothering the neighbours. Not as a substitute for any other training ideas but you can't have your pooch barking for hours, which might lead to serious complaints and demands for her removal.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Talking

Today we went to the Dollar store, got two 16' leashes and a regular length one ...just wouldn't do to have the leashes not matching in colour.

I thought the dog park had a fence around it but after looking at it again...it's snow piled up. Not snow piled up by the fence so we went down to the people park. It was -35 C so there was no one to complain about my dog being in the people park.

My son and I tried to jog along beside Toothy but not only was it too cold but she moves way too fast. So Toothy on her leash jogged along side the truck in the parkinglot of the summertime fountain. She jogged for about 10 minutes before she gave me that 'I'm SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOO cold' look and lol, willingly got in my truck. Don't worry we went very slowly and it was all good safe. Toothy is going to be a very good bicycle dog in the spring. : )

We've been practising the 'Sit Command' with carrots. She's doing okay....and I get some extra vitamins when she doesn't listen.

She had her evening meal, got a marrow bone and spent some time in crate while I watched Kung Fu Panda.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:45 AM

I am going to have to get something for her barking.

I watched a movie with my son 2 floors up from Toothy in her crate and could here her. Jeepers, she's got a bark that make me want to pull my ears off.

My pal bought something for her dog....I'll borrow that in a couple of weeks when she gets back from Mexico.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:19 AM

Does she respond to you at all when you say her name? I mean if you are in the same room as her and she is not already looking at you and you say "Toothy" does she look at you? Just wondering if she knows/responds to her name.

Sometimes animals don't know/won't respond to their names & a new name is necessary for them to actually pay attention.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM

LOL, Toothy knows what her name is. She responds when she wants to. I need to figure out how to have her respond all the time though.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats an awful long time time in a crate per day.I would look for a more active JRT experienced home.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Once Toothy can be trusted she won't be in the crate.

Unless, she goes in of her own accord but for now ...she stays in there when I'm at work.

Things have changed so much and for the first time in a LONG TIME, I'm starting to enjoy my puppy.

It's been almost two days since I wandered around my house assessing the damage and mumbling about that "F8cking Dog".

The only thing that's happened is last night she tried to bite me.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
escapar,OMG is there no fence around the dog-park
Please do not let her off leash unless it's safe,you were two times lucky,maybe not three times.
I see Dekka joined in,too bad you are so far away,I am sure he/she could have helped your poor misunderstood pup.
chico2, I am in Edm also and as far as I know we have no fenced dog parks, It would be nice if the city? would make some areas fenced.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM

How would one go about having a dog park fenced ??

That is a challenge I would be willing to take on to be able to let my crazy dog run free for a short while.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapar View Post
How would one go about having a dog park fenced ??

That is a challenge I would be willing to take on to be able to let my crazy dog run free for a short while.
IMO I would not be giving Toothy that kind of freedom until she is ready to listen to you at ALL times. Giving her the freedom of a park to let her run is telling her to go do what she wants. She is still IN CHARGE! This is what got you in this situation in the first place. She needs to know YOU are the one in charge, NOT her.
Also, I don't feel letting her run beside a truck while you are sitting in it is safe. Nor does it teach her anything. If you don't want to be out in the cold then find a dog walker that is willing to put the time and energy into tuckering out your dog for you.
As I said, JMO and I am not known to sugar coat words.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I'm a softy

ok..

kinda off topic but I know our dog park has no fence.. and I like it that way! That way... according to the rules posted anyway.. it is only for users whose dogs reliablely come when they are called.. if your dog is not trained then they are not encouraged to have them off leash.. jmo
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I would not suggest off leash in an unfenced area for a dog that is not spayed or obedience trained and has bitten.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
kinda off topic but I know our dog park has no fence.. and I like it that way! That way... according to the rules posted anyway.. it is only for users whose dogs reliablely come when they are called.. if your dog is not trained then they are not encouraged to have them off leash.. jmo
I didn't see any signage at the dog park we went too.

It was my first time and I didn't know.

I'm the only person I know who has even considered taking their pup to the dog park so there isn't alot of information available to me.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
IMO I would not be giving Toothy that kind of freedom until she is ready to listen to you at ALL times. Giving her the freedom of a park to let her run is telling her to go do what she wants. She is still IN CHARGE! This is what got you in this situation in the first place. She needs to know YOU are the one in charge, NOT her.
Also, I don't feel letting her run beside a truck while you are sitting in it is safe. Nor does it teach her anything. If you don't want to be out in the cold then find a dog walker that is willing to put the time and energy into tuckering out your dog for you.
As I said, JMO and I am not known to sugar coat words.

Since you seem to be the expert on the way things SHOULD BE....back up your statements and help me get them to BE THAT WAY. Your statements are akin to FLAMING if you aren't going to offer any advice.

The dog is perfectly safe running beside the truck. I wouldn't do it if I thought it wasn't. I'm not that bad of a driver that I can run over a dog that is 32' away from me.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

escapar, no one is trying to flame you. They're offering you advice that you seem to need.

Even a good driver will run over a dog if it runs in front of the vehicle. How do you know she won't run in front?

And 14+ is perfectly correct--if you don't have close to 100% recall of Toothy, letting her run off-leash is a recipe for disaster.

Have you checked to see if there is a behaviorist or a trainer in your area that can give you some hands-on experience?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:47 PM

Anyways, I'm not going to be checking with this forum anymore.

Everytime I log in the discussion is about how evil I am, what a moron I am.

Two pages of posts and PERHAPS one or two pieces of good advice about Crate Training.

The rest has just been flaming and posts about what great dog owners y'all are and how I should be sentenced to death for Dog Infractions.

When the time comes that I need to nattered at about what a lousy human being I am .......I'll call my ex.

And another thing: y'all are here berating me ....shouldn't you be training your dogs? Shouldn't you be out exercising them ??

You are neglecting your pets. Shame on you.

And I didn't get the advice I needed: My dog is still a BITER. That was the whole point of this post ..to get help with that. There hasn't been one piece of advice on how to curb that.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Interesting reaction to sincere advice, escapar.

Good luck to Toothy. :sad:

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=escapar;718831][I]

I do want to take Toothy out for exercise ...if I take her down to the river where she can run freely ....she takes off and then I have to find her. Which is a problem when it's -25C.

Maybe getting one of those leashes that are on like a fishing reel that goes out 15ft would help? That way she can run back and forth and still be attached to you? If u get one, I'd get one for a large dog as she sounds like she has quite the pull.

When my son got home from school he'd repeat the ritual. I come home for work and let her out for a longer period then back in for bed time. Then she discovered she could bark and all heck broke lose with my neighbours.

Um, could u get her a muzzle? One she could drink with it on, but no get a good bark going?

She does not seem to learn. Every day for the last year I've come home from work/where ever, tried to get the dog to stop being so excited, jumping around and going beserk ...to go outside. I completely ignore her ..no eye contact and only once do I say "Outside". No petting, no praise ...no nothing until she goes outside. Ultimately, I end up pushing her outside. Today is her birthday, probably marking the 366th time I've had to push her outside. Yesterday I put her favourite bone outside. Why after all this time doesn't she get it ??

Sounds like she is just happy to see you after you being gone all day. Could you not just leave your coat and boots on and go outside with her then so she can go potty and say hi to u all at the same time?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

escapar - I am truly sorry if you thought I was flaming. Totally not my intention. You came here looking for help for a rambuncious pup and you DID get help.
ALL the info you were given; spaying, exercising, appropriate playing, leash training, crate training, etc. are all things that need to be done in order to stop the biting. But YOU have to be an active member in that training. ALL of the info you were given, if utilized properly, would lead to a tired, tuckered out doggie who would be too tired to BITE.
The best help you got was below and bolded. Did you take Dekka up on it?

Dekka Hi

if you want you can email me greywyndcontact@hotmail.com or PM me

You want specific biting help.......

http://www.jackrusselguide.com/jackr...m-bitting-your

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/tr...russe_spce.htm

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/jackruss.html

http://www.petshub.com/dog/teaching-dog-not-to-bite.php

http://hubpages.com/hub/jack-russell...-good-behavior

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; January 5th, 2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: missed part of a sentence.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Agility addict

I hope she comes back and reads my PM that I took forever to type.

If things don't change in that house I can't see that dog being alive in 2 years .

I have seen lots of JRTs with issues like this, they can easily (with time and dedication) be fixed (barring medical issues like tumours) everytime.

But if not fixed they get worse.. dog starts doing damage when biting, because the dog is more and more frustrated, and then the dog is either PTS or dumped on the shelter where its PTS.
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:

Two pages of posts and PERHAPS one or two pieces of good advice about Crate Training.

The rest has just been flaming and posts about what great dog owners y'all are and how I should be sentenced to death for Dog Infractions.

When the time comes that I need to nattered at about what a lousy human being I am .......I'll call my ex.

And another thing: y'all are here berating me ....shouldn't you be training your dogs? Shouldn't you be out exercising them ??

And I didn't get the advice I needed: My dog is still a BITER. That was the whole point of this post ..to get help with that. There hasn't been one piece of advice on how to curb that.

You've been given a ridiculous amount of very good information that people put a lot of time and thought into.

However, you have not received the response you wanted which is obviously "oh, it's not your fault, your dog is deranged, and here's a magic pill that will solve all your problems in five seconds with no effort on your part".

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If you don't want to take the advice you're being given, or the help you've been offered, then please just do your dog a big favour and turn him over to a JRT rescue before someone gets seriously hurt and your dog ends up euthanized.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Good advice Bendyfoot,some people just do not realize the energy in a JRT and the stimulation they need.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Since you seem to be the expert on the way things SHOULD BE....back up your statements and help me get them to BE THAT WAY. Your statements are akin to FLAMING if you aren't going to offer any advice.

The dog is perfectly safe running beside the truck. I wouldn't do it if I thought it wasn't. I'm not that bad of a driver that I can run over a dog that is 32' away from me.
A dog is NEVER safe running beside a truck! People who get Seeing Eye dogs, who are trained NOT to take their human close to cars,,get killed when off leash by running in front of cars!! Dogs are just dogs and they do dart out and after squirrels, whatever, no matter what the training! And your dog is not trained which is worse.

Quote:

You got plenty advice from these nice people. It will just take a lot of time and work, not just over night.

Good luck Toothy.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I agree, we are trying to help. Its all related to the biting, dogs bite when they are top dog and can get away with it, proper exercise, discipline and training are the solution, there is no majic solution???

All the advice I gave it is on how to curb the biting.

Anyways, with a reaction like yours Im sure Im wasting my breathe here. Jeepers.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Everyone, your information has not been wasted. I would like to say that this thread has been a great help to me. We have a Jack that is fairly unruly ... not nearly as bad as Toothy, but I could see him becoming that way.

Methinks I am going to talk to Dekka. This thread has been a reality check to me that our Jack isn't the best behaved ... !!

And jingles to Toothy that her Mom figures something out, to help her.

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3