Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 26th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Owned by goldens

Puppy Mills

I have been reading with interest the thread about the xxxxx kennel. I can't help but wonder what will happen if and when xxxxxx or another large puppy mill is investigated and closed down due to violations.
I guess those of us in rescue will be in for a busy time rehabilitating and re-homing all these poor soles. I better start preparing my husband for what could be a very busy spring/summer.

Last edited by marko; April 27th, 2005 at 04:09 PM. Reason: following the rules
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:01 AM
banned user

Many were reading that thread with interest and sorry it is now closed, close to 7000 people read that post. I believe it will happen investigated and closed down due to violations.
It's only a matter of time.
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I feel puppy mills will always exist, as long as there are pet stores selling them!
The only way to shut down all puppy mills, is by banning all stores from selling animals (and treating them like merchandise).
We all need to send letters to our MP's and MPP's (opposition parties, as the government is about to topple) Now is the time to let government know how we feel about pet stores selling living, breathing animals!
If selling animals like merchandise is banned, there would no longer be a need for millers!
We need to let government know what kind of animals are being sold in pet stores, and how the consumer is ofter ripped off in price as well as often times buying a very unhealthy animal, whose genetics are in question.

Please everyone write, email, and call your member of parliament!!! Let them know how you feel about the poor pet store puppies and kittens!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:19 AM
banned user

happycats I agree with you I hate to see dog and cats sold in pet stores, but I know of one puppy mill that will not sell their pups to stores they take only cash so its not possible.
That is one question I've asked and just recently got the answer to myself. Only cash buyers! I will write my letter to MP say how I feel about this aswell.
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenblaze
, but I know of one puppy mill that will not sell their pups to stores they take only cash so its not possible.
That is one question I've asked and just recently got the answer to myself. Only cash buyers! I will write my letter to MP say how I feel about this aswell.
I will be sure to include this in my letter,email and phone call to my MP!!
(to shut all puppy mills down!) And I am sure the MP would be intrested in knowing that these people are evading taxes, with their "cash only" deals!

I wonder if the health dept or MNR (ministry of natural resources) could also be contacted, ( what do they do with all this animal waste?? their must be some kind of enviornmental impact, with this many animals? )

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:49 AM
banned user

[QUOTE=happycats
I wonder if the health dept or MNR (ministry of natural resources) could also be contacted, ( what do they do with all this animal waste?? their must be some kind of enviornmental impact, with this many animals? )[/QUOTE]

I was told the dogs are shot by a son and buried in a field behind barn, Minsitry might like to know this. I never thought of that thanks.

Last edited by goldenblaze; April 26th, 2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I feel puppy mills will always exist, as long as there are pet stores selling them!
Actually, it's not the stores to blame. It's the public who will pay BIG bucks to buy badly bred puppies. If no one bought them, stores would not carry them.

Suppy and demands fuels the market.

Education is the only answer.

When a mill is raided, the usual procedure is to seize the dogs and put them up for adoption after they have been evaluated and treated for any illness or parasites. Many are often so sick they must be euthanized.
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:46 AM

I try to do my small part by never buying from a pet store which sells dogs/cats. I give my business to the pet stores that do adoption for rescues etc (such as Pet Valu). I have not stepped foot in PJ's since i realised the whole puppy mill situation.
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:49 PM

I agree with all the reasons given for the existence of puppy mills. These breeders actually believe they are providing a great service to the public, many of whom (like myself several years ago) don't realize or understand what drives these millers: greed. Also, how many unsuspecting public still buy on impulse through the newspaper ads or pet stores? This is where education is badly needed. Having said this, you will always find those who don't want to pay a higher price up front or wait for a litter from a reputable breeder. Quebec government has never had the welfare of animals as a priority and even now, with Anima Quebec, they are not equipped to do what is necessary. I believe the only way, along with education, is for individual municipalities to pass bylaws banning the operation of such places and also the sale of dogs and cats in pet stores. So if a mill does exist in violation of such a law, action can be taken at a local level. We all know most puppy mills are underground operations, so it is crucial to raise awareness as well as advocating the existence and enforcement of laws.
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Many were reading that thread with interest and sorry it is now closed, close to 7000 people read that post. I believe it will happen investigated and closed down due to violations.
It's only a matter of time.
I'll be the first one to admit that puppy mills MUST be closed, but we must be careful what is posted in a public forum. We cannot open the Pets.ca site to lawsuits.

I applaud your efforts to close down any puppy mill you come accross, but we cannot name them in specific. If you feel like you want to name a name, I'm afraid the name of the mill must be kept out of the post. Enough members know each other here, and how to contact each other, without involving Pets.ca in the process. After all, if it should come around that we must shut down the site, where will we all meet to discuss these things and the pet topics that interest us??

I may not be popular with the members here for what I've just posted, but that's the reality we must live by.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:55 PM
banned user

I completely support you Trinitie!

goldenblaze, I admire your courage and persistence to follow through on the miller, but you can't name names in a public forum. The Privacy Act dictates that no one could post someone else's personal info on the Internet without the prior consent of that person, at least that's how I remember it.
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Didn't "someone" post goldenblazes pritave info on this we site .?

Old April 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Ya, I think the member's name was "xxxxxxx", but it was deleted when I told the moderator...
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM

That particular member is no longer welcome here.

There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:09 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
Didn't "someone" post goldenblazes pritave info on this we site .?
That was wrong too. Just because someone is doing it doesn't give you the right to do it too. Wrong is wrong is wrong. I'm sorry if I sound harsh here, but privacy is something I value tremendously. I'm not debating the miller issue, I'm in agreement with everyone here, I'm only debating the privacy issue. Would you like to see your personal info posted in a public forum without your consent?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:48 PM
banned user

All I really care about right now is getting some help for the poor dogs living in that barn, I won't post the puppy mills name, no need to as 7000 people read it and I'm sure talked about it with someone they know. I know it made a difference and will continue too, I'm still going strong myself as others are aswell to me that is what is important.
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:52 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymph
I completely support you Trinitie!

goldenblaze, I admire your courage and persistence to follow through on the miller, but you can't name names in a public forum. The Privacy Act dictates that no one could post someone else's personal info on the Internet without the prior consent of that person, at least that's how I remember it.

Question

What is the difference with people posting to ask about a breeder they might buy a dog from, the name of breeder is posted and many people often tell their opinion. How many times has someone asked and memeber look at the website and said no don't buy from them BYB or PM?
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
When a mill is raided, the usual procedure is to seize the dogs and put them up for adoption after they have been evaluated and treated for any illness or parasites. Many are often so sick they must be euthanized.
This is exactly what is done.The last raid that I know about was done in Port Elgin.The dogs/pups where transfered over to St Catherines.They were mostly Pugs.There was a few Eskies and a few others.Brains not working at the moment to remember the others.They were all vet checked,cleaned up,wormed.And then put up for adoption.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:02 PM
banned user

Quote:
Question

What is the difference with people posting to ask about a breeder they might buy a dog from, the name of breeder is posted and many people often tell their opinion. How many times has someone asked and memeber look at the website and said no don't buy from them BYB or PM?
I haven't been on this site long enough to read all the older threads, I may be wrong, but the rules of this forum strictly prohibit slandering. Like I said, just because someone else is doing it doesn't make it right for YOU to do it too, wrong is wrong is wrong, IMO. What you did borderlined with slandering, IMO.

Again, I'm not supporting the PM, but I support what the mods did in this case. And again, I applaud you for your courage and determination to follow through in this fight against the miller.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
Didn't "someone" post goldenblazes private info on this web site .?
Clarification:

I didn't post this to point out 2 so called "wrongs" I posted to give goldenblaze a different angle to fight Pa** R *s (not naming any names here!)
on. Maybe she has a legal case against them for posting all her information on a public forum. (because nymph mentioned this being against the Privacy Act in her post)

Old April 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymph
IMO. What you did borderlined with slandering, IMO.
I have not said anything that I can't back with paperwork, that is not slander. I have not said all pups from there come away sick but I do have lots of people telling me about their dogs that are or were sick when bought. They tried that last year I got a letter from their lawyer, it has not stopped me from telling my story or others that offer me info.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:29 PM
banned user

goldenblaze, you are missing my point here. While I strongly support your cause, this FORUM is not the right place to disclose personal information i.e. the miller's name. I am a moderator on another forum, and believe me, the last thing we want is to involve this forum in some legal dispute.

I apologize if slandering is the wrong word, but that's what I understood from reading the forum rules. This is the part re slandering:

Slandering any person or organization is not permitted. If you want to warn people about another person or organization then you may only do so by private messaging or by emailing those people directly, never in any open forum.

Again I have nothing against you personally, and I really admire all you've done on the miller issue, my only slight problem was with posting personal info in a public forum, that's all.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Very true. While its a noble cause, and one that we should all help you with, we would be high and dry without this forum to speak to each other. Money spent defending the site from dumb lawsuits could be better spent upgrading servers and adding features.

I hold nothing again you, golden, please know that. I hold you in very high regard for the work you do and for the kind person you are. I wish I had 10 of you walking beside me each day!

Old April 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Goldenblaze, I commend you and all the others on this forum for their fight against millers. If there were more people like you out there we could beat this.

Alot of people are unaware that most of the pets you see at pet stores are products of millers. I have tried hard to warn people to stay away from buying their pets from stores or from ads in the newspaper. Many people are unaware that newspaper ads and pet stores are selling animals that come from unreputable people. Many still believe that a reputable breeder will advertise in newspapers. We all know that this is not the case.

I have tried my darnest to educate those that I know about millers and backyard breeders. We need to continue to spread the word and educate those who don't know.
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

People assume....

I think that people assume that a reputable pet store will sell healthy pets. As a lifelong dog person, I have never bought a pup from a pet store (although I did buy my first iguana at one) and have always warned everyone to not buy pups/kittens from pet stores. But, while talking to my husband about this last night, I said something about puppy mills and he didn't know what I was talking about! He seriously didn't know anything about puppy mills! I was flabbergasted! He said that when his family got their first dog when he was in grade school, they bought it from a pet store. His family didn't own alot of dogs, in fact I think he only ever had two pets before he married me. I think alot of people are like his parents were - unaware of the facts.
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thank you Trinitie and Nymph for understanding the delicate line we walk here.

For obvious reasons we are going to get tougher on posters that put this board at risk. Just because a single person or group of people know something to be true, that does not constitute legal proof. Only a real judge and jury can pronounce a legal verdict.
So again - No badmouthing/slandering.

Goldenblaze you are an Angel.
Please continue to warn people by PM and email only, but not in an open forum.

Thanks for understanding,
Names will be edited out of this thread.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM
banned user

It's been Awhile

Hello,

Yes it's been awhile I have tired to contact some people because of their post, please contact me if possible.

Old June 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM

What is wrong with buying a puppy from a store or should I just buy them from a local breeder? Animals are merchandise! I wouldn't give the puppy away for free, I would sell them which makes them merchandise regardless of where you purchase them.
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saken33
What is wrong with buying a puppy from a store or should I just buy them from a local breeder? Animals are merchandise! I wouldn't give the puppy away for free, I would sell them which makes them merchandise regardless of where you purchase them.
Dogs/puppies are living, breathing feeling lives NOT merchandise. You can adopt (purchase) an orphan child but that doesn't make it merchandise.

If you are going to breed a dog, you should make sure that both your dog and your dog's puppies are as healthy as you can possibly make them and I would hope that you would care at least a little bit about the homes that they are going to.

If you do some research on puppymills - including photos, you would have to be pretty heartless to think that was an ok way to get "merchandise" to sell in a pet shop.
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
Ummm??? :troll: ??????
Exactly what I was thinking. But just in case, animals are not like a head of lettuce that you can purchase at a grocery store. Animals have feelings and should not be placed on display for sale like a car or vegetable!