Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I had received a Facebook message on the 13th saying she had made a mistake (?) and after speaking to Joanne (I don't know one, but if it was someone from the board, then I thank you) she would be willing to return my cats.

That being said, my reply was sent late on the 14th. I'm not all that big on using Facebook. I offered my address again if she needed it, but I haven't heard back as of yet. So I'm not sure what to make of this whole thing... still.

--
@BenMax
From what I understood, she had a woman that was interested in getting 2 cats. Since Mark and Dot were siblings, you really don't need to worry about fighting for territory or alpha status, she probably thought they would be best for that particular person. Hence why she came as quick as she did, she had an appointment with that person. But as I said, that's just the way I understood it to be.

The officer didn't have much to say in regards to her as a person if that is what you mean. He said that she said it was over money and not fleas as that was what she told him. He seemed nice enough and was definitely polite to me, but he didn't really put much stock in the whole thing.

--
@Scottyxx

I'm of two minds about doing anything too harsh. While on the one hand it may help my ego, it doesn't help my cats on the other. It might also cause them to 'close up shop' and then there will be more than just my cats on the line. While I'm in no position to say what good they have done for the feline population, my story seems to be one of a kind when it comes to this particular rescue. If other people on Facebook had said "OMG, this happened to me too!" I'd be more inclined to force the issue in the public eye.

I've been tempted to contact the Hamilton Spectator, as they have done at least 2 articles regarding these people / rescue. Once again, it only serves as a warning to others and doesn't help my cats out in the long run. However, if I don't get my cats back, then I may reconsider.

The Facebook page is for the shelter. When the police wanted her address, I had to do a reverse look-up to get an address for them. It's how I know it's a residence and not a business. The rescue doesn't have an address associated with it in any of it's information. Just the one person's phone number.

Anyway, I suppose there's still time for her to actually contact me in regards to Sunday. So once again, I'll just have to wait and see.
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakkar View Post
Sorry for the delay in posting, but I had received a Facebook message on the 13th saying she had made a mistake (?) and after speaking to Joanne (I don't know one, but if it was someone from the board, then I thank you) she would be willing to return my cats.

That being said, my reply was sent late on the 14th. I'm not all that big on using Facebook. I offered my address again if she needed it, but I haven't heard back as of yet. So I'm not sure what to make of this whole thing... still.

--
@BenMax
From what I understood, she had a woman that was interested in getting 2 cats. Since Mark and Dot were siblings, you really don't need to worry about fighting for territory or alpha status, she probably thought they would be best for that particular person. Hence why she came as quick as she did, she had an appointment with that person. But as I said, that's just the way I understood it to be.

The officer didn't have much to say in regards to her as a person if that is what you mean. He said that she said it was over money and not fleas as that was what she told him. He seemed nice enough and was definitely polite to me, but he didn't really put much stock in the whole thing.

--
@Scottyxx

I'm of two minds about doing anything too harsh. While on the one hand it may help my ego, it doesn't help my cats on the other. It might also cause them to 'close up shop' and then there will be more than just my cats on the line. While I'm in no position to say what good they have done for the feline population, my story seems to be one of a kind when it comes to this particular rescue. If other people on Facebook had said "OMG, this happened to me too!" I'd be more inclined to force the issue in the public eye.

I've been tempted to contact the Hamilton Spectator, as they have done at least 2 articles regarding these people / rescue. Once again, it only serves as a warning to others and doesn't help my cats out in the long run. However, if I don't get my cats back, then I may reconsider.

The Facebook page is for the shelter. When the police wanted her address, I had to do a reverse look-up to get an address for them. It's how I know it's a residence and not a business. The rescue doesn't have an address associated with it in any of it's information. Just the one person's phone number.

Anyway, I suppose there's still time for her to actually contact me in regards to Sunday. So once again, I'll just have to wait and see.
I hope you'll get your cats back.
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:

--
@BenMax

--
@Scottyxx

I am so glad you heard from her and that she said she was willing to give your cats back. I hope and pray that is the case and that you will hear from her quickly. It is possible you may not hear until Monday, because of business hours. I wonder if you have been dealing with one of the foster mom`s for kitties and this Joanne is one of the principles in the rescue group.

Please let us know what happens, we do care about you and your kitties especially because you rescued them and probably saved their lives. I also should tell you that there are many men around who have cats rather than dogs. My husband was the one who brought my oldest cat home when we already had two dogs. I now have 4 cats but that`s a story for another day.

I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well and she returns your kitties. With the very best of luck.
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I'm glad to hear you are getting your cats back. Please keep us updated.

I know of a few rescues in this area that are done from a person's home and the cats/dogs are fostered out to volunteers. So there is just one phone number and a home address.

Hopefully this rescue will take more prudent care in protecting both parties interest and have contracts written up when they take other kitties . I don't think it does either party any service to have misunderstandings, it causes frustration on both sides.

Was it a volunteer that picked up your cats?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Dakkar,
Glad you will get them back, however, if things do not turn out please let me know.
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM

Angry

Well, here it is 9pm and my cats aren't back. I've left a couple messages on Facebook and sent an email. Nothing, I haven't heard back from this person since Thursday when I got the message she wanted to get the cats back to me on Sunday (today).

This has gone above and beyond insane. It's like being teased or playing monkey in the middle. I'm waiting for an email saying 'PSYCH!' like she's dangling my cats for me to take and yanking them back at the last second.

This person is not a foster home. Her name and phone number are listed as the main ones for this "rescue". In essence, she promotes herself to BE this.. place. I don't think I'm going to be able to refer to her business practice as "rescue" any more. It's gone too far to be that kind.

I understand the comments about business hours/days that someone commented about. If that was the case she could have arranged/offered me to retrieve the cats on Friday instead of Sunday. Sunday was her suggestion, not mine.

Now I'm not just upset, I'm pissed off. Who treats people like this, seriously?!
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:13 AM

Grr... So about 2mins since I started the post in here, I received an email. Apparently I had been forgotten about. Anyway, I'm going to try and send some friends there tomorrow. I'm assuming she won't have any issue with them considering my friend is like 65 and her SigOther is 71. Hopefully they'll remember why they're there. lol.
So once again, it's "stay tuned". Sigh.
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Will the police officer you've had contact with accompany your friends? I, personally would not release the cats to anybody but the known owner.

Did she say she was going to deliver the cats, or you were to pick them up? Have you called this person? Blocked your number then called her? Have you printed off all the FB communication to save to present to the police officer so he can perhaps add a bit or persuasion to get her to hand over the cats?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; September 17th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Grr... So about 2mins since I started the post in here, I received an email. Apparently I had been forgotten about. Anyway, I'm going to try and send some friends there tomorrow. I'm assuming she won't have any issue with them considering my friend is like 65 and her SigOther is 71. Hopefully they'll remember why they're there. lol.
So once again, it's "stay tuned". Sigh.
Could you get some friends to adopt the kittens for you? I am so sorry you are going through this. I feel bad for your kittens too, it is so wrong keeping them away from you. The woman is not thinking the what is best for your kittens , they belong home with you.
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Smile

Well, my friend picked up my kitties for me last night and they've finally come back home. It was just after 9pm, but I caved and gave them their 6p wet food dinner. (Princess seemed pretty skinny.) I have never seen those cats eat like that before... You'd think they just came off a fast or something. But after they had full bellies they calmed down a bit.
Princess is being very clingy again, but that's okay by me. I think we had a marathon pat/hug/brush session after she'd eaten. It was just over an hour before I had to try and spend some time with Puffy. Not that it stopped Princess from hovering.
Puffy's gotten bigger! Not a lot, but noticeable. She's not as clingy as Princess but was definitely in the playing mood. We had a good 20 mins of chase the red dot (laser cat toy) and about 15 mins of mouse on a string. Eventually my arm got sore and she decided it was time to play catch up on her climbing games. Which was fine by me... my arm was sore.

They've both just had breakfast... They ate that late as well but that's my fault. I managed to get some sleep last night, almost 10 hours. I guess my body is trying to recover from the last 2 weeks. I was awoken by Puffy trying to stand on the back of my head and Princess head-butting me. Now they're off taking their "I just ate" nap.

Something peculiar is still going on though. Puffy is STILL nursing off Princess and she's allowing it. Not nursing like when she was a baby, but more like it's dessert if you know what I mean. Puffy is 9 weeks old now, should she still be doing this? After playing last night and today, I know that she has her full set of teeth... so I know this cannot be comfortable for Princess, yet she just lays there and does it anyway.

Everything seems to be sorted out now. I'm just short the Vet bill that cost me the $100, but I was told I would get that later in the week. Which is fine I guess, Princess is slated for Spaying at the HBSPCA at the beginning of October, so that leaves plenty of time. I'm going to have to find out what flea drops were used on them and the date... I have Frontline Plus here, but I can't apply it 'til the other has worn off.

TL;DR - we're all calm now everyone is home. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I'm glad you got your cats back.

Let Puffy nurse until Princess decides it's time. All my fosters nursed until they were about 12 weeks old, not full time nursing, more of a soothing thing before nap times. Momma will let Puffy know she's had enough.

Were there any problems with picking up the kitties?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Well, my friend picked up my kitties for me last night and they've finally come back home.
Woohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Puffy is STILL nursing off Princess and she's allowing it. Not nursing like when she was a baby, but more like it's dessert if you know what I mean. Puffy is 9 weeks old now, should she still be doing this?
Totally normal and probably more of a bonding thing than a source of nourishment. My Cinnamon Girl would let Carrot and Peppercorn, the 2 boys I kept from her litter of 5, nurse for months, probably even past 4-5 months. She wasn't producing any milk, they just liked the whole ritual (and it was often after they ate, so kinda like dessert as you said, or preparation for a post-meal group nap). Gotta say, it was pretty hilarious to see 2 big boys (bigger than her by this time), lined up at the "wet bar" like that. I think I even have a picture somewhere, if I can find it....

Quote:
we're all calm now everyone is home.
So very happy for you and the kitties. Enjoy them!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So glad you finally got them back!! whoot whoot!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Dakkar, I am very happy you got your cats back.
Embrace them and love them to pieces. They are very lucky to have someone that fought so hard to get them.
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Let Puffy nurse until Princess decides it's time. All my fosters nursed until they were about 12 weeks old, not full time nursing, more of a soothing thing before nap times. Momma will let Puffy know she's had enough.
Does a mother cat's milk contain some kind of natural sedative? I've noticed that it's instant nap time for my kittens after a nursing session.
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Does a mother cat's milk contain some kind of natural sedative? I've noticed that it's instant nap time for my kittens after a nursing session.
It's just soothing for the kittens. One of my foster kittens was nursing before nap time until she was put up for adoption at 5.5 months. Sweet Pea had long dried up, but her last kitten just loved to suckle and Sweet Pea being the wonderful momma she was allowed the kitten to.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Well, my friend picked up my kitties for me last night and they've finally come back home. It was just after 9pm, but I caved and gave them their 6p wet food dinner. (Princess seemed pretty skinny.) I have never seen those cats eat like that before... You'd think they just came off a fast or something. But after they had full bellies they calmed down a bit.
Princess is being very clingy again, but that's okay by me. I think we had a marathon pat/hug/brush session after she'd eaten. It was just over an hour before I had to try and spend some time with Puffy. Not that it stopped Princess from hovering.
Puffy's gotten bigger! Not a lot, but noticeable. She's not as clingy as Princess but was definitely in the playing mood. We had a good 20 mins of chase the red dot (laser cat toy) and about 15 mins of mouse on a string. Eventually my arm got sore and she decided it was time to play catch up on her climbing games. Which was fine by me... my arm was sore.

They've both just had breakfast... They ate that late as well but that's my fault. I managed to get some sleep last night, almost 10 hours. I guess my body is trying to recover from the last 2 weeks. I was awoken by Puffy trying to stand on the back of my head and Princess head-butting me. Now they're off taking their "I just ate" nap.

Something peculiar is still going on though. Puffy is STILL nursing off Princess and she's allowing it. Not nursing like when she was a baby, but more like it's dessert if you know what I mean. Puffy is 9 weeks old now, should she still be doing this? After playing last night and today, I know that she has her full set of teeth... so I know this cannot be comfortable for Princess, yet she just lays there and does it anyway.

Everything seems to be sorted out now. I'm just short the Vet bill that cost me the $100, but I was told I would get that later in the week. Which is fine I guess, Princess is slated for Spaying at the HBSPCA at the beginning of October, so that leaves plenty of time. I'm going to have to find out what flea drops were used on them and the date... I have Frontline Plus here, but I can't apply it 'til the other has worn off.

What great news!! I am so happy for you and your kittens. Princess may had missed you so much she that she did not eat very good. I had a dog that would let my kitten that had teeth dry nurse on her. The kitten would fall asleep next to my dog.
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Willing cat servant

These are great news! I'm so happy for you. They are in the right place and very loved seems to me.
Perhaps the whole thing has been nothing but a series of misunderstandings, forgetting things and so on. But that's behind now. I hope the other 2 babies went to a great place too. They probably did.
Enjoy each other! And gratz on having your little family back ♥!
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM

Smile

Quote:

I am absolutely thrilled that you got your kitties back! Sorry for the delay in my answering you. I am certain it took a lot out of you having to fight for so long to get them back. They are so lucky to have you!

I hope you received the $100 she promised you and you are able to get your TV back at the end of the month.

Puffy is probably nursing because it's a comfort to her because they may have been separated while there. As love4himmies said I wouldn't try to stop Puffy nursing because Princess will put a stop to it when she's had enough of it.

Good luck to you Dakkar I wish you all the very best and for your kitties as well.