Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old January 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a couple of glimpses at the life of a farm boy and his dogs.

Okay I DO NOT endorse this but you have to laugh sometimes when the farm boy at work tells you a story. That is after the shock wears off.

John grew up on a farm. One day his dog kills eleven chickens. This is a very bad thing for a number of reasons and I personally know of a dog that was shot for simply straying onto a property and LOOKING at the chickens.

So John’s father picks up one of the dead chickens and beats the dog until pretty much all his father is holding are two bloodied chicken legs. That dog NEVER EVER went near a chicken again.

Some twenty something years later John’s new dog comes home across the field from a neighbours property (remember these are country folks used to letting each other’s dogs roam onto their property – I also don’t endorse this). In the dogs mouth is a dead chicken. John is shocked and ticked off. He remembers his father’s lesson some twenty some years ago and proceeds to beat the dog with the chicken although not to the point that he is holding bloodied stumps at the end.

Then he walks over to the neighbour’s property to apologize and PAY for the chicken. His neighbour looks at him and said “Why? He took it of the pile over there”. The chicken was dead when the dog took it.

BTW the dog has NEVER been near that pile again and has NEVER brought home a chicken again either.

The dog is now fifteen years old and can no longer walk the stairs into the family room. John carries him down and up every single night. They recently bought a new sheep dog and John is pricing out electronic fencing for his two acres property as he no longer believes in letting dogs run. Hopefully this will prevent this dog from ever being beat with a dead chicken.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM

I don't know what to say to that. I can't believe that guy tells that story. I'd be so embarrassed.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Honest Contributor

OMG that is soooooooooo funny! Kinda like that urban legend about the dog and the neighbor's dead pet rabbit... ha ha, thanks for sharing that!!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/haredry.asp

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I don't know what to say to that. I can't believe that guy tells that story. I'd be so embarrassed.
That was a long time ago and although he was pretty worried he had a chicken killer on his hands I don't think I could ever do it. I was SHOCKED too but had to laugh after.

Still I know he loves his dog and that's why I threw in the part about how he carries him down and up every night. I'm also glad he's looking at the electronic fence.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I've also told the story of our other farm boy Ed and his family dog but I'll tell it again.

The dog is hit by a car and is dragging it's behind. Grandpa came over and evaluates the situation right away. Grandpa is an even older old school Ukranian farmer. He goes into the house and comes out holding 'the gun' and heads off behind the barn. He calls the dog to follow him....

The dog looks at Ed and his dad.....and starts chasing his tail, running, jumping...everything he can to say "I'm OK'.

BTW: Years later Ed was working as a fill in for my partner ,who was on a mat leave, and he had to put that dog down due to old age and disease. He didn't go behind the barn he went to the vet.