Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Chris - The Globe Centura is opening!

I promised pics when it started to open. The plant is about 4 feet tall now. Only a couple of buds open but tons more to come. I will take a few more once there is.
I only wish they would last longer. :sad:
First one I took about two weeks ago.
Name:  100_5484.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  70.6 KB
A close up of a bud.
Name:  100_5482.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  70.3 KB
One of the buds opened. They are spectacular when in full bloom.
Name:  100_5606.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  80.4 KB
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Molly's mama

wow! ever pretty! I have never seen one of those before!
I don't know where you find the time, between work, family, the catuary, and gardening!
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Wowza! What a cool plant! Where did you get it??? Can it only grow in a certain climate?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Garden nut

I think most thistle-like plants are pretty hardy in cold climes, with the exception of the globe artichoke.

Quote:
Globe Centaurea is a robust perennial from the Caucasus, reportedly introduced to Britain in 1805. The Philadelphia nurseryman, Bernard McMahon, sent seeds of the species to Thomas Jefferson in 1812. Easily grown from seed, the plant forms clumps three to four feet high with large thistle-like flowers in early summer. Its chestnut-brown buds open to expose a crown of rich yellow florets.

Sow seeds in spring or summer, covering with no more than one-half inch of soil. Globe Centaurea does best in full sun, and in well-drained soils that are not too rich. USDA Zones 3-9.
Just thought you all would enjoy a bit of plant history!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
-

Thanks a lot 14k, I love those guys they are unusual and I like Oddball Stuff....Gerri

I have so many garden threads I have to catch up on, mine looks like a disaster zone this year, I have been real negligent :sad:
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Purple bud and yellow flower? As I was watching the pics s l o w l y load, that little surprise knocked my socks off.

Oh, wait! I wasn't wearing socks...

Never mind.

It's still cool, though!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Wowza! What a cool plant! Where did you get it??? Can it only grow in a certain climate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
I think most thistle-like plants are pretty hardy in cold climes, with the exception of the globe artichoke.
Just thought you all would enjoy a bit of plant history!
Thanks Ceara. I got it probably 5 years ago at a nursury. I haven't seen it since. It looks a little weedlike and probably didn't catch on. I keep trying to collect seeds from it but not many of them are a great size. Yes Bailey, I think it would grow well in Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Thanks a lot 14k, I love those guys they are unusual and I like Oddball Stuff....Gerri

I don't know what you are referring to.

I have so many garden threads I have to catch up on, mine looks like a disaster zone this year, I have been real negligent :sad:
Yep, mine need tons of tlc too. Way too many weeds this year. I will get to them sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Purple bud and yellow flower? As I was watching the pics s l o w l y load, that little surprise knocked my socks off.

Oh, wait! I wasn't wearing socks...
Never mind.
It's still cool, though!
Not really purple buds. They are actually brownish. But neat. It's a bit of a conversation piece, right Chris?
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
wow! ever pretty! I have never seen one of those before!
I don't know where you find the time, between work, family, the catuary, and gardening!

Can you say perennials? The only way to go for gardeners with not a lot of free time. I have never seen one in anyone else's flower beds either. Like I said, I don't think it caught on. Oh well, I love it.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post

Not really purple buds. They are actually brownish. But neat. It's a bit of a conversation piece, right Chris?
Yes Gerri

Now you say that the buds are brownish, I think I have one from the same family, 'cept the flowers are pink......I will take pics
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Yes Gerri

Now you say that the buds are brownish, I think I have one from the same family, 'cept the flowers are pink......I will take pics
Please do. That would be neat! Maybe if I can find a seed or two this year I can start one for you for next year.