Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:39 PM

The Best Dry Kibble Out There???

The best kibble out there?? Please watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI-W...=youtube_gdata

Last edited by greg6407; May 15th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM

Hi Greg, I like your video, and agree with you for the most part, but the spelling and grammar in the video are distracting!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Several of the foods on you're list are made in the Diamond plants and have been part of several recalls over the last few yrs. I won't feed my boys anything that is mass produced. If you want a good food, you need to find one that has their own dedicated plant, such as Orijen and Acana. NV, Canidae, Taste of the Wild and several other "top" brands are made in the same plants as the recalled foods, and some are actually part of the recall itself.

http://www.askavetquestion.com/news/...and-cat-foods/

What foods are being recalled?

The following brands are involved in the recall:

* Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
* Country Value
* Diamond
* Diamond Naturals
* Premium Edge
* Professional
* 4Health
* Taste of the Wild
* Kirkland Foods (see below)

http://poisonedpets.com/2012/05/05/r...-in-gaston-sc/

The Canidae products “potentially” affected are:

Canidae Dog, All Life Stages
Canidae Dog, Chicken Meal & Rice
Canidae Dog, Lamb Meal & Rice
Canidae Dog, Platinum

Just because a food is marketed as Holistic a/o grain-free doesn't make it a good product. Just do your research and you're sure to find something a bit safer, if you need to feed kibble. This is an excellent food and has never been a part of any recall. In fact, it's the only pet food to ever receive FDA approval as fit for humans, and it's made in a human food facility:

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Is it just me? All I can see are Myka and Rgeurt's replies. I can't see the OP.
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I can't see the OP either.

I agree with Rgeurts. Buying from companies that produce their own food is much safer. Also, if you pet can handle different brands, buying from different manufacturers to alternate your pet's feedings is another safe guard.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL, his post *was* here last night! I'm thinking he may have deleted it, but it should say it was... so no clue! I think he probably checked the links, realized the majority of foods he was recommending in the video are actually on the current recall list, and maybe deleted it?

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

There are several companies who have their own facilities. When I feed kibble (we have to supplement Nookie to hold his weight when he's having issues), I use Additction-Salmon Bleu. It's an Australian company and they have their own facility in the U.S. too. There is also Horizon out of SK and they make great food, but everything they make has egg in it, even their fish formula, so no good for our guy.

Old May 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Also, if you pet can handle different brands, buying from different manufacturers to alternate your pet's feedings is another safe guard.
That is actually great if they can handle it! If the food their on does have issues and ends up in a recall, at least you would be able to feed them one of the rotations and not upset anything. Unfortunately, we can't even give Nookie different treats wihtout going through a few bad tummy (and very stinky doggie!) days.

Old May 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Well now that it's back and I've seen it I think it should disappear again. Blatant advertising for **** and **** is what I see. Along with statements not backed up by any data. Not to mention the recalled companies on the list. And I see what you mean about the spelling and grammar.

Love the black Lab with the green collar in the video though. I put a green collar on my black Lab.

I do rotate 3 dog foods, different companies. My TOTW is not on the recall list but I am antsy about it. I've looked up some alternatives and, darn, now some of those are on the list too. The brands, not the flavours, but using them would be akin to staying with my TOTW.

I was not really happy with my TOTW anyway as it was the most expensive food I used and it cost me even more than a strict bag to bag cost comparison because I had to use more of it, due to it's low Kcal/cup count.

From the rest of you who have commented here I now have a couple of othres to check out so thank you for that.
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Longblades, here are a few links for ya:

http://www.firstmate.com/dog_food.as...F-8C95EF820A13

The Ocean Fish is what we were looking at, but the ingredients on the website and the ingredients on the bag were very different. The old list on the website had listed fish as the first 2, but the bag now shows potato, as does the website. All their grain-free list potato first. Now it could be fresh potato, which after being dehydrated would place it farther down the list and would be fine, but I didn't care enough to contact them as I found the Addiction line. First Mate looks good and has never had any recall issues (voluntary or mandatory). The grain foods look pretty good, but Nookie can't have oats or barley, so it eliminates that choice.

http://www.horizonpetfood.com/

This line looks pretty amazing. I really wanted to try it for Nookie, but every single food in all 4 lines have egg in them, and he's allergic to chicken. If they ever change it, we'll be giving it a try. The thing I loved about this food is that it has dried enterococcus as one of the probiotics, which Nookie really needs and the minerals are all chelated. It's unfortunate that we can't try it.

http://www.addictionfoods.com/splash.php

These guys have great food if you have allergy issues, which we do. The ingredients in the Salmon Bleu are very limited and Nookie does well with it, for the most part. The one thing I don't like is it has no pro or prebiotics, so we have to supplement him with Forti-Flora, and not all the minerals are chelated. The zinc sulphate is questionable for dogs with a senstive tummy, and he does get a little gassy on occassion with it. I would prefer to see zinc proteinate. Hopefully they will improve on that. But it's still a great food.

All three of the foods above have their own dedicated facilities, so safer than mass production and probably higher standards. They also use no ingredients from China.

Old May 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Rgeurts, none of those is on my list to check yet. I am lucky, we have no issues, can go cold turkey from grain free to grain or whatever. All I want to do is rotate main proteins and fillers, reasoning/hoping that chicken might not be fed/vaccinated the same crap as lamb or fish. Ditto corn, oats and potato.

ETA: Hmmm most either mix the main proteins or they are too low in protein and fat for us. I want to stay with around 26% protein and 16% fat as it seems to work very well and no point messing where I don't have to. The Horizon Pulsar Fish is a candidate for us but I think they have made a mistake on their website, giving two different number for Kcal ME/kg. I think the 410 number might be meant to be Kcal/cup, which would be good for us. I've emailed them.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Longblades; May 15th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Thanks Rgeurts, none of those is on my list to check yet. I am lucky, we have no issues, can go cold turkey from grain free to grain or whatever. All I want to do is rotate main proteins and fillers, reasoning/hoping that chicken might not be fed/vaccinated the same crap as lamb or fish. Ditto corn, oats and potato.
LoL, wish I could say the same! Seems like all we've had is issues when it comes to feeding Nookie, which is the reason for all the research into the different foods. All 3 I had linked are free from corn/wheat and only use quality grains. Also, the fish in all 3 products are wild caught, so hormone and antibiotic free (no farmed fish). The Honest Kitchen is also a great food, though it isn't a kibble. But everything they make is antibiotic/hormone free and they use organic and free trade when it comes to the fruits/veggies/grains. Preference is what we use, it's just fruit/veggies and you add your own protein. I bake wild Alaskan/Pacific Salmon every week, then freeze for individual meals and add it to his Honest kitchen. That's what Nookies main diet has been for over a year and a half now. It's the only food he hasn't been sick on. This is the link if you're interested:

www.thehonestkitchen.com

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Try having fish as an allergy...there's fish in almost every good recipe. We're on 3 ingredient homemade now. *sigh*
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie

Tags
dog.dog food, kibble