Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 29th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Unhappy Screaming Budgies!!! Why?

Hi!

Due to my love for my 3 Budgies & my Bulli apt renting sucks. My Budgies have not seen the sun in 4 yrs & started screaming non-stop when we moved into this latest deathtrap 2 yrs ago. We had to stay because of my Bulli's leg surgeries. There is an elevator in the building. We have been surrounded by empty apts (due to ease of escape for tenants w/out pets) so no one has been around to complain. We are moving (somewhere) in a month (Moving Day-July 1st) & if they continue screaming during the day I will have to "re-home" them.

Pls help. I have had them for 2-6 yrs, respectively & I don't want to lose them.
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM

I hate to say it, but you cant stop budgies from "screaming". You can try to put a curtain on part of their cage during the day, which even though it may settle down their screaming, isnt really fair for the birds since birds need lots of sunlight to be happy... If you cant stop them from being noisy in your new home, it might actually be more fair to the birds to find them a new home...
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Budgies scream because that's what they do. In the wild, all parrot type birds scream in the a.m. to call to the rest of the flock.

Anyone who is intolerant of noise, or can't have it for some reason, shouldn't get birds.

Quote:
My Budgies have not seen the sun in 4 yrs
That's sad.
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Try music. My budgie loves 50s-60s music. We have it turned on all day near his cage and he just rocks to it. Happy twittering and chattering all day long. Once in awhile, a song like "Louie Louie" with a lot of bass comes on and he'll scold. We tried other kinds of music. He'll screech and scold. Has to be lively with a definite beat and melody. It doesn't have to be loud, just close enough for him to hear it well. The same songs are repeated throughout the day and he seems to recognize his favorites like "Teen Angel" as soon as they start playing. Yes, he's noisy, but it's a pleasant noise and softer than shrill screeching.
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:39 AM

Yes music is excellent I have 6 budgies in my top cage and a cockatiel in the bottom cage, and they LOOOOVE music. I also find that if you put strips of white plain paper towels in the cage it will turn the screams into music as they will sing to the paper towels. This also works with empty toilet paper rolls, for my birds anyway. Good luck Try putting them by a window, my cage rack has wheels so it is easy to move the cages but windows are great fun for them. My birds respond to the call of the wild birds outside.
Old June 7th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Music DOESN'T Sooth These Savage Budgies!!!

Hi!

Thnx for the suggestions. Everyone suggested music, which I DO leave on constantly. Still they scream. Loud, Macaw or Amazon cries. U would think that I have a flock of Budgies instead of just 3! Hopefully when we leave this dark apt in a few wks they will quiet or they will have to be rehomed if my landlord gets comlplaints. After 7 yrs it just started. Sometimes they cry to the pidgeons outside, sometimes out-of-blue machine gun screaming. Lighting changes don't work either.

8)
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Do they have a noisy period during the morning and then again at night???

They shouldn't be screaming non-stop all day long. Do they stop screaming if you talk to them? Maybe you can tape a message to them and have them listen it it all day.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Give them a chance to get settled in the new apartment.Budgies need alot of toys to keep them occupied.You should notice a huge difference in there behaviour once they have sunshine and 10 to 12 hours night time.Another thing that can make for crabby birds is when they are not bathed(misted) enough.Squabbles amongst each other because the cage is not big enough or not enough perches is another reason.Cover them with a dark sheet at night if they are noisy at night.