Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM

urinating in house

Hi everyone

Im having a problem with Simon my pitt/cross with urinating in the house this is not marking territory issue i think because he realy lets go when it happens.

Also it only happens when im at work he never does it when im home and he will urinate right in front of my wife or children and sometimes Simon will do it right after he comes in from outside.

I know Simon's nose is a little out of joint because of the new puppy and there is some jealousy there but i always put Simon first ahead of the new dog.

Is there any one out there that can give me some input on what i can do?
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Is he neutered? Are you sure he understands housetraining? Did this just start? Is he lifting his leg and peeing on furniture?

If the answers are "yes", and if he has no urinary tract problems, then I would say he's marking territory and that this is not a housetraining problem.

YOu need to not give him a chance to do this. Keep him tied to you when you're home and if he even looks as though he's thinking about peeing, race him outside and praise when he goes there.

Clean all affected areas with a neutralizer, like Nature's Miracle and keep him away from his preferred peeing spots until you're sure he won't pee.

If he's particularly stubborn, something that seems to work quite well for marking male dogs is a belly band - literally a cloth band that goes around his middle and over his "pee-er". When he pees, it will be extremely uncomfortable and he should get the message!
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

I am also wondering if, with the new puppy, everyone is distracted and just not seeing the signals he is giving to go out. Your wife has children and a new pup to watch after and she might not be paying as close attention as she should. Or he is marking spots where the puppy went - to say "hey, the puppy doesn't own this spot, I do!"
This will sound odd, but often when we get have a new child in the house the older child will regress in his training. If Simon sees all of the attention the puppy is getting for his mistakes, he might be thinking - is this what I have to do to get some attention around here? It sounds like you are giving him good attention when you are with him so he doesn't need to act out for you.
Have his drinking habits changed? or has his food changed? Some foods are higher in salt and he might be gorging his water and then needing to pee desperately and no one is noticing in time so he just lets go. It could also be a sign of diabetes.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:05 PM

tenderfoot,LuckyRescue : Simon is fully house trained and when he wants out he lets us know, before the puppy came Simon could be trusted to be left alone with out crating.Also Simon sleeps with us at night and the puppy is crated,Simon gets fed first and when treats are given out Simon comes first and puppy second,Simon has full run of the house and not the puppy.
Simon recently had a full check up and finished all his shots and is Scheduled for his neutering next month.Feeding has not changed.

Simon is lifting his leg according to my wife and both dogs get a very high quality puppy food,I think with the recent postings Simon is marking territory.

LuckeyRescue i will try your suggestions and let you know i think your right.
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

It sounds like you are doing a great job with Simon and now that the puppy is here he feels more pressure to assert his place in the house - hence the marking.
Not being neutered is a huge red flag. I agree that having him fixed will make a big difference. It can take as long as 3 months for him to get all of the hormones out of his system so be patient and diligent and I am sure he will remember his house manners.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended