Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 10th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it hopeless?

This message board is just one teeny weeny microcosm of society. How many posts have we had lately about people irresponsibly breeding their cats and dogs, either deliberately, ignorantly or negligently?

Right now, Petfinder ALONE lists 230,000 homeless dogs and cats, and that does not reflect the other countless thousands who are not listed, nor the ones on the streets. Millions of animals will die this year, yet people see nothing wrong with adding more to the slaughter and continue to pump out more. In spite of all the educational material available, the numbers are going up, and not down.

These are NOT good or valid reasons for breeding:

"My dog is so cute and well-trained"(So?)
"My friends want a puppy from my dog"
"I want my kid to see the miracle of birth"(rent a video!)
"I like puppies"
"I want to make some money"
"My tabby cat is just so special and pretty" (so are the other million tabbies who will die this year)
"I can't afford to spay my pet" (Yet can afford to feed, vet and raise a litter??)
"Cute kittens always get adopted" (except the ones who don't - the majority)
"My kittens are purebred and will never end up in a shelter" (Wanna bet?)
"It's none of anyone's business" (except for those who have clean up the mess)

Two uncontrolled breeding cats create two litters per year at a survival rate of 2.8 kittens per litter. With continued breeding, they create:
Year 1 = 12 cats
Year 2 = 66 cats
Year 3 = 2,201 cats
Year 4 = 3,822 cats
Year 5 = 12,680 cats
Year 10 = 80,399,780 cats

IF you love your pet, please read Benefits of spaying and neutering and please do not contribute to the horrible problem of pet overpopulating and the suffering and death that accompanies it.

To get an idea of what is involved in responsible breeding, please check out this page, which contains many helpful and informative links:
http://www.dog-play.com/breeding.html

Okay, done ranting.

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; August 11th, 2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:11 PM

I felt this should be a sticky, so we can refer to it in threads and find it easily.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Performance Spaniels

LR, that's well spoken as usual, can it be cross posted if quoted back to you?
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, WW. I'll probably be adding more to it.

Go ahead, Mafiaprincess. You can leave out the "ranting" part.
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I can't even reply to these posters anymore (I'm sure the thread would be closed quickly if I did!)
They seem to get so defensive and self-righteous, saying it's thier god given right to breed!!
Makes me so sick, sad and disgusted ! :sad:

I think you should change the name from "pets.ca" to "pets.prospay/neuter.ca"
with a catchy phrase like "if you want to breed, please don't proceed"!

Sorry, just needed to vent

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
"if you want to breed, please don't proceed"!

Sorry, just needed to vent
Are we talking pets or people, because I know a few who...
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
LMAO!!!! I know a few too.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

The bad thing is that for the most part, people who post here regularly don't breed and wouldn't even think about not spaying/neutering their pets. So we are all preaching to the choir most of the time when it comes to breeding. It is a sad reality that alot of people have the mentality that it is their god given right to breed or to do anything else with their 'pets' that they see fit. There again, most of those kind of folks don't stay here long and we wouldn't change their opinions one bit even if they did.

I also think that people post controversial things just to get everyone riled up. From what I've seen, we all rise to the occasion and I can imagine some teenager and friends laughing it up reading the responses they get.

I don't envy the mods. I can't imagine trying to keep up with all the threads.

Maybe if when you sign up for a login name a big notice can come up before you are allowed to finish your registration stating that this board is pro spay/neuter and to avoid posting any threads regarding breeding? I really don't know what the solution is. :sad:
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:07 PM

I'm glad I finally found this, amazing timing considering my rant on the forum today. I think with your permission, I'll print out the infor and give it to my parents neighbours. Thank you LR
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM
owned by Tucker

People tried to talk me into using Tucker for a stud, not on your life. I see all these posts of homeless dogs and cats it breaks my heart, if I could get another dog it would be a rescue. Sometimes do you find LR that it is overwhelming and like a bottomless pit. If everyone getting a puppy or kitten, who don't have the right to breed these dogs didn't just think what a relief it would be on rescues and animal shelters. Breeding should be left to the professionals who know what they are doing period.
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Wouldn't it be great if our Legislation had a law that you had to be licenced to be a breeder. If only there were a law that you had to pass an exam on your breed, and have a proven track record with that particular breed and be licenced, like you are licenced to drive a car, and then be able to enforce such a law. I can dream can't I
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Flyball Mom

But, but... my friends want a Willow puppy! j/k People did and I had a few very ticked off friends when she got spayed - eight days after her sixth month birthday! Oh well, go to the breeder and get one of her brothers or sisters when the next litter comes along.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Performance Spaniels

TY LR.

People did the same when Cider was spayed.

I think people assume they'd get a cheap/ free puppy having a litter that close to them in part.. as well as wanting one like your dog or whatever..
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
LOL you know that brings up a good point. If we can't get people to consider birth control for the sake of all the unwanted CHILDREN that are being brought into this world (and consequently ending up DHS cases), what can we expect them to do for animals?

The even sadder part is, that animals don't have as many advocates as children do. Even then, we're not handling our children very well either!

So much to do, so little help!

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Pro

Shannon is onto something... People, as well as animals, should need licenses to breed. My friends and I have a saying whenever we meet obviously dumb people, "...and then they breed". There are so many babies (pets and people), who don't even have a chance in this world. Most people who own pets (with heavy exceptions) don't have them spayed or neutered. It is a sad reality, and I'm only making an assumption based on the number of stray animals everywhere. As sad as it seems, we are a small minority here.

Last edited by kristi_021; April 25th, 2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM

This thread is so excellent! I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would subject their dog to the "real" health risks that occur when you don't spay or neuter your pet. I am speaking of CANCER in a major way. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF. This is a selfish act. No average joe out there should be allowed to breed their dog. There MUST be legistlation put in place that only allows BOARD APPROVED BREEDERS the right to breed. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to keep talking about the same sorry issue. I thank this forum for providing the opportunity to educate others and for that,

Last edited by crazydays; July 20th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM

sigh.. on every web site i see 18,20,45 pages of multiple dogs needing adoption. It makes me SO SO SO sad. I wish i could do more.. really i do. These people are so selfish, these poor little puppies.

And i just saw an add that went:

"Bought the dog for my kids-they arent interested anymore..so he has to go"

nothing to do with breeding, and has probably been spoken about here but i just needed to rant a bit. Thats terrible..:sad:
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
ROCK ON!!

petition it!!!

Hey, anyone know how to start a petition? There are several cities (or maybe even whole states now, I remember reading an article about it a few years ago) in the US that do have laws mandating that every pet must be spayed/neutered, except for those kept for breeding by registered and reputable breeders, and humane societys in these states have reported the laws to actually be quite effective (though I doubt the problem will ever be totally solved). We should start a petition on the issue for Canada. I haven't the faintest idea where to begin with it, but if someone else knows, I'm certainly more than willing to do whatever I can to help!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM

Agree back yard breeding is a bad idea

I know someone who breeds a specific cat cross breed. I'm not sure what his motivation is. I believe all pet breeders should be required to obtain a license to breed their animals. If too many animals are already available, then the license should be denied. They should come under close scrutiny.

Good breeders don't breed animals to make a lot of money at it.
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Dogsitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticSmile View Post
Hey, anyone know how to start a petition? There are several cities (or maybe even whole states now, I remember reading an article about it a few years ago) in the US that do have laws mandating that every pet must be spayed/neutered, except for those kept for breeding by registered and reputable breeders, and humane societys in these states have reported the laws to actually be quite effective (though I doubt the problem will ever be totally solved). We should start a petition on the issue for Canada. I haven't the faintest idea where to begin with it, but if someone else knows, I'm certainly more than willing to do whatever I can to help!
YES! (Excuse the caps ) But, absolutely yes! If you do start a petition (anyone) please let me know! Or make a topic xD This would be fantastic!
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm in. Always thought there should be a law on spay/neuter and also a license to breed. Let's do a petition........
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it should start with getting all animal shelters to spay and neuter before they adopt an animal out. There are tons of shelters here in Canada, that do not or just give the adoptee a voucher, which usually ends up with the owner not going through with it. I just don't understand how shelters can preach about the importance of spaying and neutering and yell and scream about the pet overpopuation, yet not spay or neuter when they adopt an animal.
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
I think it should start with getting all animal shelters to spay and neuter before they adopt an animal out. There are tons of shelters here in Canada, that do not or just give the adoptee a voucher, which usually ends up with the owner not going through with it. I just don't understand how shelters can preach about the importance of spaying and neutering and yell and scream about the pet overpopuation, yet not spay or neuter when they adopt an animal.
Good point
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:04 PM

i like how u said there pure bread they'll never end up in a shelter (wanna bet?) because its true. the cat i have now (dexter) i had just adopter a few months ago...they said he was a mixed kitty (i think they have to say that) but because of the way he acts and how much he weighs and his long tail hes defanity a manie coon so nobody can say they'll never end up in a shelter because thats not true! thanks to pets.ca i have found people who care about stuff like this! i just wanna thank u guys for caring so much. because of us we might be able to stop stuff like this if we keep trying!