Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM

SolidGold - WolfCub

Hi All,

I have a 12 week old German Shephed dog named Jerms who was originally on Royal Canin Large Breed puppy food when we took him home, but we have slowly transitioned him to Solid Gold's WolfCub. I have been reading the various threads on the many foods available and feel slightly overwhelmed as they each have their pros and cons. Yesterday, when we went for the scheduled Vaccines and our Vet heard that Jerms is on SolidGold she right away said that we have to switch foods, that we should feed him Hill's p/d instead (I asked her if she is pushing it becouse her clinic sells it and she denied this and even seemed offended, yet she did not provide any valid reasons as to why we should not stay on Solid Gold).
Any thoughts on the WolfCub food that he is currently on?

This one is offtopic, but may be related to the food:
From the first day that we took him home his stool occasionally is soft. Usually, he would poop 2 times in a 1-2 hour span, where the first poop is solid, but the second or third one is progressively softer and shapeless. Should we be concerned or is this normal for the 2nd or 3rd poop in a span of few hours to be so soft? The Vet did take a poop sample for examination yesterday and he is on a deworming program... Otherwise Jerms is very energetic, playful and outgoing...
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Papa D

hi

I used to feed science diet which is hills retail version. after coming here i made the switch to solid gold wolf king as my one guy is 14 and the other was about 7mths,now i have the new puppy i have her on canidea all life stages.my older guys have since switched to timberwolf organics...wilderness elk and salmon formula and the pup will make the switch when she can. after i switched from science diet,the change in the fur and teeth condition greatly improved in a matter of months,fur is soft and shiny and the teeth are plaque free.solid gold is a good food,i would stay with that.i think they don't teach vets alot about food
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Remembering Lukka

Lukka had soft poops for months until I realized she was sensitive to grains. Now we feed her Orijen and her poop issues are a thing of the past. There are far more informed people on this board than I when it comes to nutrition for pets but I would not change Lukka now that we have something that works so well for her.
Good luck with the new pup
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM

If the soft poops continue, maybe try a food with a different protein source? I had considered the Solid Gold WolfKing for my GSD but decided against it based on a friend's use for her GSD....she found that the bison made her dogs very gassy and with GSD's prone to bloat changed it out. I think she said she ended up going with the Solid Gold HundchenFlocken Puppy and it went well (lamb based). I'm sure some GSD's would be fine on it, but mine already bloated once so I went with a different protein for him (Solid Gold Barking at the Moon). He's doing excellent on Solid Gold though....his coat has improved dramatically and he's very healthy.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM

NO-don't listen to your vet's insistence to switch. Traditional vets do not know about other lines of food; they usually only know about the brands that are discussed in vet school (Purina, Science, Iams, Euk, etc.). Solid Gold is far superior to what the vet recommended; stay as far away from commercial dog food as you possibly can.
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
-

Poop is never on pets.ca!!

It's hard to tell if the softness of his second and third poop is something to be worried about at this stage. It may take him a while to get used to the Solid Gold and his poop will stay softish until he is completely acclimatized to the new food. You may be overfeeding him if he is pooping alot (as in volume not in frequency). I find that with all of my dogs (and they're adults), if we are out long enough for them to have a second go-round, their poop is softish simply becasue it has had less time to hang about the digestive tract and bowels. Exercise does that!
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:51 PM

Okay since we are on the topic of Poop...

How much poop is normal? a quarter to half a cup formed stool two to three times a day for a 75 lb Shepherd Husky?

I had never thought about it before actually.