Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old July 29th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

URGENT - Montreal - 3 GSDS urgent need rescue

Montreal SPCA has 3 urgent GSDs that will be euthanized in the next couple days - they need out ASAP. Can anyone help?
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Are these the German Shepherds he rescued from the puppymills? Are they purebreeds? How old? Fixed? I will ask around for you
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes they are, 3 young purebred males. We do not have much info on them, 1 is the sweetest dog ever we were told and was returned to the shelter for barking, one is a bit shy. I don't know if they post the dogs online somewhere?
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes they post their animals petfinders.I don't understand, there were so much publicity about these animals, I am sure he recieved alot of donations in too for the raid on this mill. Why is he euthanising them???
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Spreading the news....poor boys
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know poodletalk and I don't see these dogs on petfinder. My understanding is that they are overfull, these dogs have been there for months, and the Montreal rescues either do not take GSDs, or are full. They are probably getting stressed being in the cages, GSDs do not do well in shelters, not that any dogs do. I don't know if barrier frustration is an issue or not, happens with all kinds of GSDs, and people generally do not want to adopt dogs that behave that way in a cage and probably do not take them out to see how they really behave.
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:55 AM

I Will Take One Into My Rescue I Live In Hamilton, Ontario .
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

That would be great! Thank you! I have never heard of you, do you have a website? Which rescues and shelters do you work with? (To pull from shelters rescues have to give references and be checked out.)
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

ll1 i just PM'D you, your mailbox is full.
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry,cleared.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Is anyone able to post a link/pictures?
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

we now have 12 GSD's on the urgent list including the ones in Montreal, some of them you can see on petfinder.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, I'll check.
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:51 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
Sometimes they post their animals petfinders.I don't understand, there were so much publicity about these animals, I am sure he recieved alot of donations in too for the raid on this mill. Why is he euthanising them???
How could one call themselves rescue yet be responsible for their death?
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Gsd

I work at the SPCA . I cannot work with these dogs. They are overactive
( because of their 3 month saty in the cages), and they are not housebroken ( meaning they splatter their urine and feces all over the run, and u, when u approach the cage to clean it), nor do they know any mannors. This makes them very difficult to place, especially when normal house GSD are abandonned.
I am happy that these dogs will be euthanised. It will end their torture. Don't blame the SPCA, blammed the puppy mills, and the poeple who buy dogs at the pet stores, who purchase from these mills.

Julie

Reptile Watch: Rescue and placement service for reptiles and amphibians
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I disagree with you Julie. These dogs have been at the SPCA for three months, for three months these dogs could have been taught to walk properly on a leash, been taught some basic obidence.Instead they were downstairs in the little kennel. Yes, I know, theirs one in adoption and 2 in the foster room. The rest are downstairs. The SPCA Montreal didn't even give Canine 14 German Shepherd she rescued the proper medical attention. I don't want to hear that the SPCA Montreal has no money for staff nor do they have enough volunteers. The SPCA Montreal is properly one of the most wealthiest SPCA'S in Canada. What was the point of them being at the SPCA Montreal and all the publicity about them when at the end they were going to be euthanised?
I had a puppymill dog for 15 years, a husky mix. She was difficult but it was rewarding to see the change in her over the years. I also have several friends who rescued "puppymill dogs" who had the same issues as these German Shepherds if not worst. What are you suggesting Julie,that all puppymill dogs should be euthanised instead of given achance. If these dogs do get euthanised, I blame the SPCA and the puppymills.

Last edited by poodletalk; August 5th, 2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I disagree. Most GSDs (and all kinds of breeds) in shelters behave the exact same way, and it is no indication if they are housetrained, and that's not a big deal any way.

I can't imagine turning down a dog for our rescue based on someone assuming the dog is not housetrained, or messy in the cage, or the fact that the dogs have no training. Rescue is not for the easy quick turn around "perfect dog", it's for the animals that need rescuing.

What kind of dogs can you work with in the shelter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Watch
I work at the SPCA . I cannot work with these dogs. They are overactive
( because of their 3 month saty in the cages), and they are not housebroken ( meaning they splatter their urine and feces all over the run, and u, when u approach the cage to clean it), nor do they know any mannors. This makes them very difficult to place, especially when normal house GSD are abandonned.
I am happy that these dogs will be euthanised. It will end their torture. Don't blame the SPCA, blammed the puppy mills, and the poeple who buy dogs at the pet stores, who purchase from these mills.

Julie
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Having volunteered at shelters walking dogs and teaching them basic obedience etc.. I can tell you that MOST of the dogs in the shelters can behave the same way. The longer they are there the worse they get. There is nothing different from one breed to the other.

Unfortunately the larger breeds and a LOT of GSD's and GSDx's as well as pitties, black labs and huskies spend a lot of time in their cages or cells as I call them. This increases their behavioural problems and thus making them harder to get adopted.

The solution is to take them out of their cells more often, it's no fun in there...especially when there are ten twelve or more dogs barking whining growling snarling all around you. It would make ANYONE nervous, person or animal. Imagine their environment, how sad it is!

People are intimidated, don't want to take a chance, don't want to spend the time to come back several days in a row to let the dog get to know them.

If you locked me in a cell 24 hours a day fed me crap food and put me in a room with a bunch of other people screaming I may just fling my feces and urine all over the walls too!!

Let me out and I'd worship the ground you walk on!
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
These dogs have been at the SPCA for three months, for three months these dogs could have been taught to walk properly on a leash, been taught some basic obidence.Instead they were downstairs in the little kennel. Yes, I know, theirs one in adoption and 2 in the foster room. The rest are downstairs. The SPCA Montreal didn't even give Canine 14 German Shepherd she rescued the proper medical attention. I don't want to hear that the SPCA Montreal has no money for staff nor do they have enough volunteers. The SPCA Montreal is properly one of the most wealthiest SPCA'S in Canada. What was the point of them being at the SPCA Montreal and all the publicity about them when at the end they were going to be euthanised?
Well said.
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Free The Animals

This is very sad. The poor pups. But I really get annoyed with all the SPCA bashing that goes on here. According to the financial return for the SPCA posted on the charities dpt. of the federal gov. Registered Charity Information Return: Total Revenues for year 2003 were 6 387 088$. According to SPCA montreal website, intake is at 24 000 animals annually. This would allow for a measly 266.12$/ animal expenditure; Hardly a vast sum hen it comes to the special needs cases like these pups who need experienced an knowledgeable intervention by the sounds of it.
Those qualified persons who have criticisms should go down there and volunteer their time to rehab these dogs and find them appropriate homes.
Let's not forget that the SPCA does not have the luxury of turning any animals away because they are overwhelmed or they don't have the resources.. Their mandate is to take them ALL in .

http://www.cra-arc.gc: information displayed below has been manually entered by the CRA from the registered charity's Registered Charity Information Return. This information has not necessarily been verified for accuracy or completeness by the Charities Directorate.

Registered charities that notice problems with their online information should visit the amendment page for instructions on how to correct the information.

Section D. Compensation
Section E. Financial Information
Section F. Other Required Information
Section G. For Foundation Only

Basic Information Sheet
Designation Charitable Organization
Fiscal Period End 2003-12-31
Registration Date 1967-01-01
BN/registration number 119219954RR0001
Telephone number (514) 735-2711
Fax number (514) 735-7448
E-mail address

Web site address

: Compensation includes all forms of remuneration (e.g., salaries, fees, and honoraria) and benefits (e.g., personal use of a car or office space).
D1 On average, how many permanent, full-time, compensated positions did the charity have in the fiscal period? 3600 60
D2 For the five highest compensated positions indicate the number of positions in each of the following annual compensation categories. Include only those positions that are permanent, full-time positions.
$1-$39,999 3700
$40,000-$79,999 3710 1
$80,000-$119,999 3720
$119,999 and over 3730 1
D3 On average, how many part-time or part-year employees did the charity employ in the fiscal period? 3800 30
D4 What was the total expenditure on compensation for part-time or part-year employees in the fiscal period? 3850 $ 404,331
D5 Did the charity compensate any of its directors/trustees or like officials, during the fiscal period? 3900 Yes
D6 Except for compensation, did the charity, directly or indirectly, transfer any part of its income or assets to individuals or organizations not at arm's length to the charity? 3950 No

Section E. Financial Information
E1 Please attach a copy of the charity's financial statements to this return. 4000
Yes

E2 May we make the attached financial statements available to the public? 4010
Yes

If the charity has indicated its financial statements are available to the public and you would like a copy, please contact us.
E3 Was the financial information reported below prepared on an accrual or cash basis? 4020
ACCRUAL
E4 Figures are shown to the nearest single dollar.
Assets
Cash, bank accounts, and short-term investments 4100
$ 658,672

Amounts receivable from non-arm's length parties 4110

Amounts receivable from all others. 4120
$ 104,143

Investments in non-arm's length parties 4130

Long-term investments 4140

Inventories 4150
$ 22,166

Capital assets 4160
$ 924,539

Other assets 4170
$ 20,639

Total assets
$ 1,730,159

Liabilities
Accounts payable and accrued liabilities. 4300
$ 571,171

Deferred revenue 4310

Amounts owing to non-arm's length parties 4320

Other liabilities 4330
$ 331,368

Total liabilities
$ 902,539

Amount included in lines 4150, 4160, and 4170 not used in charitable programs 4250

E5 Figures are shown to the nearest single dollar.
Revenue
Total tax-receipted gifts 4500
$ 3,475,156

Total gifts received from other registered charities 4510

Total specified gifts included in line 4510 4520

Total other gifts 4530
$ 463,869

Revenue from federal government 4540

Revenue from provincial/territorial governments 4550

Revenue from municipal/regional governments 4560

Total revenue from government 4570

Interest and investment income 4580
$ 1,668

Proceeds from disposition of assets
· gross 4590

· net 4600

Rental income (land and buildings) 4610

Memberships, dues, and association fees (non tax-receipted) 4620

Total revenue from fundraising 4630

Total revenue from sale of goods and services (except to government) 4640

Other revenue 4650
$ 2,446,395

Total revenue
$ 6,387,088

Expenditures (Enter all expenditures, whether or not on charitable programs)
Advertising and promotion 4800
$ 2,549,416

Travel and vehicle 4810
$ 55,499

Interest and bank charges 4820
$ 74,626

Licences, memberships, and dues 4830
$ 251,179

Office supplies and expenses 4840
$ 43,939

Occupancy costs 4850
$ 109,727

Professional and consulting fees 4860
$ 390,860

Education and training for staff and volunteers 4870

Salaries, wages, benefits, and honoraria 4880
$ 1,795,930

Donated and purchased supplies and assets expensed for the fiscal period 4890
$ 151,743

Amortization of capitalized assets 4900
$ 73,674

Research grants and scholarships as part of charitable programs 4910

Other expenditures 4920
$ 183,525

Total expenditures before gifts to qualified donees
$ 5,680,118

Total charitable programs expenditures included in line 4950 5000
$ 3,580,900

Total management and administration expenditures included in line 4950 5010
$ 325,933

Total fundraising expenditures included in line 4950 5020
$ 1,699,611

Total political activity expenditures included in line 4950 5030

Total other activity expenditures included in line 4950 5040
$ 73,674

Total gifts to qualified donees 5050

Total expenditures
$ 5,680,118

----------------------------------------------------------

Last updated: 2005-03-14
Top of page Important notices
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Salaries, wages, benefits, and honoraria 4880
$ 1,795,930

Travel expenses:
$55,000

Do you think other rescue groups or SPCA'S have these type of expenses in Montreal? They call them self in need of MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are the travel expenses so high? For the board of Directors to feel up their gas tanks?

They should feel ashame of themselves after taking this huge amount of money for their salaries! Majority of the salary money is going to the DIRECTORS...I doubt it's going to anyone else.

Where are these 24000 animals that they save annually? I went to the SPCA Montreal the other day, and saw 20 dogs avaiable for adoption.

I guess most of the animals are in his freezers or the rescues groups in Montreal are taking them and he's counting them as his own rescue.

Theirs NOTHING wrong with the animals at the SPCA Montreal...I just don't agree with the management.
Old August 6th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Most if not all people posting are rescues who do rescue from SPCAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze
Those qualified persons who have criticisms should go down there and volunteer their time to rehab these dogs and find them appropriate homes.
Old August 6th, 2005, 02:13 AM

Question

Um....

Quote:
Total revenue
$ 6,387,088

Total expenditures
$ 5,680,118
Difference = $706 970
Now, that's a nice profit. Looks like they don't even spend $266 on every animal.