Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM

UPDATED: I just reported my neighbor!

When we moved here 3 years ago, we were stunned and frustrated by our neighbors keeping their black lab outdoors at all hours. He is a huge barker, and will bark when we roll over in OUR bed at night if the windows are open. Our homes are very close together. Anyhow, I had called two years ago to report the barking, but decided not to file a complaint. We instead went over and asked them to put their dog inside at night so that he would not be barking and waking us up. Even with our windows closed (impossible in the summer) we can still hear him barking out there.

They agreed, and for awhile it got better. Then they slacked off and he is still outside all day and night (winter and summer).

The other day, Riley (the dog) started doing this low, moaning type of howl. It was pitiful. It has been going on the days, so, yesterday I went over to my fence (the shadow type fencing) and put my hand through with a cookie for him. I was shocked to see how thin he is. The space between is ribs, down to his hips is sucked right in. I've never seen a lab that skinny. He is not that thin from exersize...they NEVER walk him.

Then I tried to see through the fence if he has any shelter or water out there. Besides the pool (we don't let our dogs drink our pool water...so I don't know about him...if out of desperation he would) there is nothing.

I took an empty Coke bottle and tried to pour the water out as a fountain for him, but it just frightened Riley.

I called the animal protection, which is run by the NBSPCA, and Rick is coming to check it out.

I feel torn to have done it. I like my neighbors a lot, and we are friendly, but I just couldn't believe his condition. To look at my two spoiled rotten dogs, and think of how he looks and how lonely he is.... :sad:

UPDATE:

Yesterday afternoon I was in my backyard with the children I take care of. My neighbor (who is never home that time of day) suddenly appears in his backyard, followed by an older man. They stand around the dog talking, and I cannot hear what is being said, but the older man asked the dog's age.

My neighbor was squeaking a toy (I have never heard that toy before...didn't know one was even over there) and trying to interact with the dog.

After about 10 minutes, they went back inside, and I ran to my front window to peek out and see what was happening. I saw a silver truck, and my neighbor climbed in the passenger side. They drove off.

They didn't take the dog with them...but I can't help but feel this was the officer I spoke with in the morning.

This morning my husband and I went out to check our pool, and my neighbor was out there putting dog food in a dish, and had what looked like a prescription bottle next to the food dishes.

I think I will call the officer back to see if he will give me an update.

Last edited by LittleLoves; June 19th, 2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Pet Guardian

can you ask them if they want the dog and can you take it?
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Taking on another dog is not even remotely an option. We have two as it is in a small house (and I run a home daycare). I'm lucky my hubby let me have the two I have!
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM

I hope you get a good resolution. Poor dog. Where is he located (i'm in Freddy as well).
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Compromised account

I think you have done the right thing. Neighbours come and go, but if that dog starved to death would you be able to live with yourself, knowing you could have helped and didnt? I certaintly would not be able to.

I would talk to the neighbours and try to find out if they want the dog. if not, there are other options than the SPCA, there are rescues etc...But anything is better than starvation to death.

:sad:
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammo View Post
I hope you get a good resolution. Poor dog. Where is he located (i'm in Freddy as well).
We are in Lincoln.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Hats off to you for being pro-active. So many people look the other way. Personally, I would have done the same thing.

As JennieV says - people come and go. I think you would have felt worse by not reporting this and no longer hearing him bark as he expired in the backyard.

Anyways, the SPCA or animal control will not tell them who complained so just play it smooth. THere really is no need for you to say that it was you - why bother. Better having good neighbours than making enemies in my opinion.

Pretend that everything is normal and you will not be suspected.
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Hats off to you for being pro-active. So many people look the other way. Personally, I would have done the same thing.

As JennieV says - people come and go. I think you would have felt worse by not reporting this and no longer hearing him bark as he expired in the backyard.

Anyways, the SPCA or animal control will not tell them who complained so just play it smooth. THere really is no need for you to say that it was you - why bother. Better having good neighbours than making enemies in my opinion.

Pretend that everything is normal and you will not be suspected.
That is my game plan!

My daughter (age 14) was in tears yesterday as we tried to get water to the dog. I really cannot see if he has fresh water available or not...but that wailing howl was just so pitiful..

Anyhow, my neighbors, the husband is very nice, and we speak with him over the fence often (we both have pools and discuss methods on cleaning and such) and it's just hard to believe he would allow the situation.

Maybe there is something I don't know going on? My mother suggested that the dog may have worms. I can't imagine the owner not feeding him...
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLoves View Post
That is my game plan!

My daughter (age 14) was in tears yesterday as we tried to get water to the dog. I really cannot see if he has fresh water available or not...but that wailing howl was just so pitiful..

Anyhow, my neighbors, the husband is very nice, and we speak with him over the fence often (we both have pools and discuss methods on cleaning and such) and it's just hard to believe he would allow the situation.

Maybe there is something I don't know going on? My mother suggested that the dog may have worms. I can't imagine the owner not feeding him...
It's possible that there is a medical problem. Animal control hopefully will seize the dog and test for this. If the dog is starved - they will have problems. If medical, then they may have to make a decision to treat or give up.

Please keep us updated. I am curious to see if Animal control shows and what they will do.
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:46 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks for reporting. You did the right thing.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
NOT a senior member

Do not feel guilty about reporting this. If more people did what you have done, there would be alot less neglect in this world. The seemingly nicest people can be ignorant in the proper care of pets, or not value them like we do. You did the right thing.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks folks...
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank u so much for reporting these people. they may "seem" nice, but obviously not if they have a animal and keep it outside and let it get sick like this!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM

I would have done the same thing in your shoes. I just couldn't live with myself if I knew a dog was hungry, sick or in pain and I looked the other way.
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Obsessed animal lover

If you're friendly with the neighbour, can you just ask him, "hey how's your dog? Why don't we have Riley over for a doggie play date?" Or, 'why don't we go for walks with our dogs together?" Just to get some conversation going and see how they talk about their dog. Maybe they don't want him and feel guilty about it and if they have someone to talk to who won't judge them, they'd feel more free to talk about it. Or if he avoids the conversation or seems to not give a damn, then you know where he stands. Don't feel guilty for reporting him; good for you for taking a stand for the poor dog.
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for being the voice for those who can't speak.
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Updated

Update in the first post.
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:18 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mmmm, strange. He obviously didn't take the dog to the vet. Wonder what's in the bottle.
Thanks for the update. Maybe now he knows people are keeping an eye on him he will come around.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Don't feel discouraged, you did a great thing reporting your neighbour

It is extremely difficult for investigators to seize an animal. Under the Provincial Animal Cruelty Prevention Act the word "willfully" causing or permitting unnecessary pain, suffering or injury and "wilful" neglect

= A person is only guilty if his mind also is guilty so just not knowing any better the "property" stays :sad:

It's great that an inspection was done so quickly (inspector should be able to update you) but more then likely he educated your neighbour about health, water, food and shelter. Maybe the owner showed the investigator medication he got from the vet? It's really very hard to determine what's going on, on a 1st visit ...

Flipgirl4 suggestion is good. You could keep a closer eye of the dog and could make another report if necessary. Thank you for what your trying to do for this dog
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Good job at calling the spca, however I would be careful when peaking over the fence.

An an officer, we are NOT ALLOWED and it is law that you can't peak over someones fence to get a look at a dog. If we peak over the fence, through a hole. This is classified as an illegal search, and if the owner were to see an officer doing that, we could be charge. Same goes for another other indivdual.

And I don't think you will get an update on the case. Even though you are the complainant, the case is still off limits too you and the case is confidental. We have complainants calling in all the time and we have to tell that it is confidenal.

ACO22
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Thank you everyone. It's hard to take action against people you like and live next to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Good job at calling the spca, however I would be careful when peaking over the fence.

An an officer, we are NOT ALLOWED and it is law that you can't peak over someones fence to get a look at a dog. If we peak over the fence, through a hole. This is classified as an illegal search, and if the owner were to see an officer doing that, we could be charge. Same goes for another other indivdual.

And I don't think you will get an update on the case. Even though you are the complainant, the case is still off limits too you and the case is confidental. We have complainants calling in all the time and we have to tell that it is confidenal.

ACO22
I find that surprising...about not getting follow up. I know when my mother called about a dog running loose and scaring her neighbors, the officer called her back to tell her that the issue was dealt with.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Skylar's Farm

When the police are involved, then an update may be given....especially in small towns.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLoves View Post
I find that surprising...about not getting follow up. I know when my mother called about a dog running loose and scaring her neighbors, the officer called her back to tell her that the issue was dealt with.

Dog running at large is totally different then a possible cruelty case. Following up, to see if a dog has been returned to it's owner is one thing. I highly doubt the officer will give out info that your nieghbours have been gives orders. He would be fired, as it is a preach of confidental..to the shelter and the accused. They do have rights.

ACO22
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

An SPCA Investigating Officer is very different from An Animal Control Officer. SPCA is funded by the public through private donations and is not only accountable to the public they will and do follow up's with the person who made the complaint. There is no such thing as breach of confidentially when dealing with non-profit organizations

Animal Control works and gets paid from the City, can only report cases of cruelty to either the police or SPCA so really cannot answer questions in any event.
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
An SPCA Investigating Officer is very different from An Animal Control Officer. SPCA is funded by the public through private donations and is not only accountable to the public they will and do follow up's with the person who made the complaint. There is no such thing as breach of confidentially when dealing with non-profit organizations

Animal Control works and gets paid from the City, can only report cases of cruelty to either the police or SPCA so really cannot answer questions in any event.
Yes, and this was the NBSPCA that I was dealing with. I've spoken to this man about other issues (a puppy mill puppy we took in - reporting the puppy mill) and he had told me at that time that the puppy mill operator was in front of the courts (at that time). I found him to be very open with information.
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
An SPCA Investigating Officer is very different from An Animal Control Officer. Animal Control works and gets paid from the City, can only report cases of cruelty to either the police or SPCA so really cannot answer questions in any event.
I think you should check into that. Alot of spcas have both Animal Control and investigators. At our shelter, we are both.

Quote:
There is no such thing as breach of confidentially when dealing with non-profit organizations
And where do you get this from *lol*. Maybe in Montreal, but everything is confidental in our shelter and the majority of the shelters (which are non profit) around here.

ACO22
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM

ACO22,
you said it's an illegal search if people look over a fence? WHat if all you have is a 4 ft. chain link fence and you see what's going on if you want to or not?
(I can't report the doofs next door for neglecting the dogs 23.5/hrs a day if they have food and water can I?)

anyway good on you LittleLoves for doing your part.
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
ACO22,
you said it's an illegal search if people look over a fence? WHat if all you have is a 4 ft. chain link fence and you see what's going on if you want to or not?
(I can't report the doofs next door for neglecting the dogs 23.5/hrs a day if they have food and water can I?)

anyway good on you LittleLoves for doing your part.
If you are able to see over the fence (without having to stand on toes, climb, peak through, etc) lets say if it is a 4 feet fence and youare 5 feet you can clearly see into the backyard or can see through the fence, like a chian link fence, that is not classifed as an illegal search.

Something that you can see in clear view is not an illegal search. Your comment about neglecting the dog 23.5 hours a day, they have food and water, is vague. How are they neglecting it? Are they not giving it vet medical attention when needed. Is it obvious? If it is just that they are not walking him, socializing him? These two are not against the law. It is not against the law to if you do not walk your dog or that you don't socizle him. If he is an outdoor dog, or out for an extended period of time, then they do have to provide adqauate shelter for the dog.

But lots of dogs are kept outdoors and tied to their doghouse every day and night. If they are good body condition, fed daily, given fresh water, adquate shelter and see a vet when needed, there is not much that someone can do.

Yes I don't agree with dogs being tied to a house all day and lack socialization, but if the owner does all of the above, nothing that can be done. it's sad. I have picked up dogs that you know have been dogs tied outside all there life. They usually are aggressive and lack socialization and it's heartbreaking. To think that someone make a dog like these. Breaks your heart.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 20th, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Since there is a lot of crummy old school ways of living with Dogs still out there,it is possible that your neighbors are just not up to date on properly looking after dogs,this may be the best thing for them .

I live near Fredericton and I have to say that the NBSPCA is really great and I admire a lot of the people that work and volunteer for them. I seriously think you did the right thing .

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu

Last edited by MommaKat; June 20th, 2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: better sense making mawahaha
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM
An Honest Contributor

Sorry to the OP for threadjacking ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
I think you should check into that. Alot of spcas have both Animal Control and investigators. At our shelter, we are both.
Our Montreal SPCA has the Animal Control contract for 27 municipalities/buroughs and shelters animals as well. Some other ACO's are paid city employees (like mine) by their communties but unlike the rest of Canada ALL our (Quebec) ACO's can only enforce municipal by-laws ie purchase yearly dog tags, pick up strays, accepts surrenders, relocate/dispose of wildlife and can give fines if walking a dog off-leash or walk on green space - that pretty much wraps up their duties.

Our 3 Investiging Officers employed by the MSPCA also do not have to power to seize any animal but takes complaints and investigates possible cruelty. If an animal is in obvious distress they have 2 choices: call the police who if they see fit can give permission to seize that animal otherwise that officer must take this case of front of a judge for permission to seize. In the meantime if that animal dies oh well

Quote:
And where do you get this from *lol*. Maybe in Montreal, but everything is confidental in our shelter and the majority of the shelters (which are non profit) around here.ACO22
Just realized I was talking about our laws here in Montreal

The only time a case is confidential HERE is when making a complaint with Anima Quebec (non-profit organization) who are the only ones' that can enforce the law but everything with them is *top secret* but only because they do nothing IMO

Even a person who is suspected of killing someone their name and face is all over the TV & newspaper - so why would a possible case of animal neglect be "breach of confidentiality*? lol

Back to topic LittleLoves As you said that Rick guy was an Animal Protection Officer for the NSSPCA and since he can enforce both the SPCA Act & Criminal Code, if he seen Riley emaciated and in distress a cruelty case more then likely was opened and I'm sure he'll be happy to update you. Please let us know but keep peeping in

Last edited by Golden Girls; June 21st, 2009 at 09:24 AM.