Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Origen Only for Active Dogs???

My 2 dogs have been on Canidae for the last 2 years and I have to get them off this stuff because they are not doing well with the new formula. I have been researching the different brands of food and had come to the conclusion I would switch them over to Origen.
I just checked with our local supplier to see if they carried Origen and they do but they asked me if my dogs were active. They are both pretty active in the spring, summer & early fall but probably not as active as they should be in the winter (my fault I hate cold). He told me if they were not very active that I shouldn't give them Origen because the protein percentage is too high for dogs and that I should come in a discuss this with them and maybe pick something different with lower protein.
Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
-

Acana is also made by Champion Pet Foods and the protein level in their Grain Free is a bit lower. We have some good food gurus in this forum and they will be able to help you.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks Chris. I have been following the New Formula Acana conversation on this blog. I did check with the stores in my area but none of them are carrying the Acana Provincial yet.
It also looks like a very good product and I probably would have gone with that except for the availability problem.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM
-

I know 'Go' also make a grain free and that is a Canadian Co. made on their own premises, that's what I feed my cats, Rainbow should be on later and she knows oodles. My local store have only just started to stock the Acana line, I kept bugging for it, maybe you could do the same.

Last edited by Chris21711; September 30th, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM

I will ask the pet store when I go in if they can order it but I'm going to have to get something fast because of the Canidae problem.
I bet the store will be willing because when I origianlly talked to them they said that a lot of Canidae customers where swithching over to other brands. Plus one of my son's has 2 Black Labs that has already switched off the Canidae recently and they would also be willing to go on the Acana Provincial.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Investigative researcher

I have a 9 yr old and a 5 yr old whom I switched to Orijen Adult in April. They are not overly active, get a walk a day and a bike ride on weekends in good weather. They literally hibernate when it rains or is cold. I just watch their weight and adjust food accordingly. I absolutely love how they look and smell--doggy odor is gone. Coats are very shiny, shedding less, stool small. My 9 yr old obviously feels better on grain free--she plays more now. Everyone has their own opinions on food, but I feel if the protein is from meat not fillers and grain, the high percentage is just fine.
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM

I went through the same thing when switching Thor from Royal Canine (couldn't say enough bad things about that concoction) to Orijen Large Breed Puppy. Thor is overly active, plays on and off with our two other dogs all day and a walk through our acreage once a day (weather permitting, which isn't saying much this year!!) and he does just fine. He used to have consistently loose stool and allergies and since switching his food he's been doing wonderfully! As long as you don't have sedentary dogs you should be fine.