Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 18th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Help me put some weignt on Bonny

My 1 and a half year lab, Bonny, can't put any weight.
When we re-homed her a 3.5 month ago she was on some generic Costco food. She looked normal, pooped normal (for this kind of food), but I decided move her on Orijen. She started poop a lot, up to 4 time a day, and in a big quantities. So, finally I moved her to raw, she's eating well, and poop somehow less, but she's very skinny, you can see her ribs. She can't gain any weight. She's eating the same amount as my son 100lb German Sheppard. An she's only 50lb. She's very active, runs a lot, plays a lot and pretty happy. I got extensive medical check up, and everything is normal.
Please help...
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You might want to try some satin balls: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53050. Dogs normally love them and will eat them readily as treats. Keep close tabs on her weight, though--it's easy for a dog to get too heavy on them!

Just a thought, though--your dog is quite young and energetic. She may be at the proper weight--you can see some indication of ribs on a short-coated dog of the proper weight. Are her ribs quite prominent? Does the vet think she's too light?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:34 AM

Yes, I'm feeding her Satin Balls, 3-4 per day. Also some banana and eggs in addition to whole chicken leg and some gizzards (morning), and big turkey wing or neck in the evening. Plus some fruits and veggies when we are eating them.
She is very energetic. And short coated, so you can see her ribs. Vet agree with me, she needs a little weight. We try to give her probiotic (just ordered on Amazon), if it won't help (2-3 weeks), my vet suggest to put her on Metronizadole.
I was digging on internet, found about EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency), but all lab results are indicated good health. The same with Giardia, negative result.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:20 AM

Excessive urination or thirst at all? Raw fed dogs tend not to drink alot of water, as you probably know. Feel her throat, see if there are any lumps just off center.

Raw pork ribs fattened up my dog pretty quick, trying to get him to lose it now.
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:39 PM

Not at all, only after walks, running she drinks a lot, during the day doesn't come to water, the same with pee, not excessive. No lumps.
Pork ribs? Heard a lot of bad things about feeding pork.
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:24 PM

Nothing wrong with feeding pork.

What are you currently feeding?
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you should have some blood work done to made sure you dog
thyroids are OK , was she tested for worms?
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_v View Post
, my vet suggest to put her on Metronizadole.
So Bonny still has diarrhoea? Even on the raw diet? If she does, then why wait to put her on it? If not then why would the Vet use Metronizadole? I have only known of it to be used for diarrhoea. Curious.

You say you are feeding fruit, veg and meat, so you are following a BARF diet? Do you puree the fruit and veg? My VEt prefers they be juiced, really. Slow juicing will preserve the most nutrients. But I use a blender. In a BARF diet, which I followed, fruit and veg are usually juiced, blended or processed, in order of nutrient preservation, juicing being best.

Does Bonny get any proteins other than chicken and turkey? Both are low fat compared to some other meats. Not well balanced either, not over the long haul. No organ meats? Oh, wait, some gizzards you said.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
If not then why would the Vet use Metronizadole? I have only known of it to be used for diarrhoea. Curious.
I wondered the same thing, but then I remembered being told that metronidazole also has a bit of an anti-inflammatory effect on the bowel. If there's something untoward going on and metronidazole corrects the problem, it might give him a direction to investigate?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:03 AM

Sorry, couldn't reply, home computer went bust.(thank you Windows 10 creator update).
Bonny is on raw diet, chicken, turkey, eggs, some raw fish (sole), satin balls and so on. Very good appetite, she has no diarrhea, just sometime she poops a lot.
She has some organ meat, but not a lot, pureed squash, but pepper, bananas and apples are whole. Talked to my vet, decided star to give her probiotcs (Purina) for at least three weeks, if it won't help, than Metronizadale (may be inflammatory issue), but will repeat blood/worm test before.
As I mentioned, blood test was good, nothing found, worms test is negative.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Pureeing fruit and veg is to help the dog's body digest them and obtain the nutrients. Utilizing nutrients better might help put on weight. We need to do this for ourselves as well but we cook ours.

Digestive enzymes might help too. WE used Rx zymes as per Vet.

Now my dog is recovered and I make kefir for him, again, as per Vet. It provides probiotics. Other fermented foods will too. You can buy kefir but I can't find it in the grocery without a lot of sugar added to it. So I make it, and we share it, good for me too.
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynes View Post
Nothing wrong with feeding pork.
How you feed them, with bone intact, or take bone out. I got back ribs, a lot of fat, is it OK?
Thanks
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_v View Post
How you feed them, with bone intact, or take bone out. I got back ribs, a lot of fat, is it OK?
Thanks
If you're looking to fatten the dog up, feed the ribs fat, bone and all.
Old May 28th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Ok, got it, thanks