Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM

glucosamine and metacam question/limping cat

Hi, my cat's about 13 years old and she started limping several months ago. The limp comes and goes and seems to be most evident when she gets up from sleeping and/or is walking slowly, and it seems to be in one of her hind legs. When she runs around or walks quickly, the limp isn't noticeable. I brought her to the vet and he took some x-rays and said she's likely suffering from arthritis but would have to do more exams to be more specific. He put her on glucosamine tablets (500 mg a day) and metacam/meloxicam 2 drops, once a day with food. However, on the metacam box it says "for dogs." I did some research on the net and found that metacam can be dangerous, even life threatening, to cats. I haven't given the medication to her yet because I am worried about these potential side effects. Has anyone used metacam on their cats and, if so, what were your experiences?

I have given her the glucosamine. The brand is Novopharm. These are chewable tablets but my cat doesn't seem to like them and I have to crumble and mix a bit at a time in her wet food. I want to switch her to liquid glucosamine, even if its for humans. I have the Webber's liquid glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM but I read that this is not a good one for cats. Can anyone recommend a brand that would be good? Has anyone tried Glucosapet or know if it's good? I think several vitamin stores near me has it, but the most common brands, at least in the major supermarkets, are webber's and jamieson. Thanks.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I really like Cosequin for treating arthritis. It's glucosamine and chondroitin. and you can only get it at the vet or online. Usually takes about 4-6 weeks before you notice an effect. The best thing is that it comes in a capsule and can easily be mixed with food. You can also add some MSM powder as an anti-inflammatory, and if your cat doesn't object to fish oil, the Omega3's can also be anti-inflammatory.

I personally wouldn't use Metacam on my cat, but there are people that do without a problem. It's very important if you do use it to get blood work done every 3 months to monitor kidney values. Some other painkiller options aside from Metacam would be Buprenex (very expensive but easy to administer) and Tramadol. I'm actually in the process of getting some acupuncture sessions for my arthritic cat, which my vet tells me has helped her own cat immensely.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler