Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 19th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I think I’m the male equivalent of the crazy cat lady….

I think I’m the male equivalent of the crazy cat lady….

So I go to Louisiana to help with rescued animals after Katrina. That’s a once in a lifetime thing. However just this week alone I have had four dogs in the back of my car that aren’t mine.

I left work on Tuesday to run to a physiotherapy appointment. I pass a kid trying to hold onto a dog while trying to keep a puppy off the road. His bike is laid flat out on the sidewalk so I pull over. They aren’t his dogs and they keep running on the road. I grab the puppy, getting my shirt muddy as can be, pop the hatch and put the two dogs in. We ask at a couple of houses if they know who owns these dogs. Nobody does so they go to the pound. I call the next day and I am told grateful owners picked them up. I only tell one person when I get back to work as they noticed I’m wearing a different shirt.

Tonight I happen upon an accident on the road a block from my house. A collie has been hit and it’s partner is sitting in a van in order to keep it from being hit too. I pull over and ask if they know where the 24-hour emergency vet is. They don’t and as I’m about to tell them the driver of the van mentions he is heading to a stag. I pop the hatch; both dogs are put in and drive the twenty-five KM to the emergency vet. Neither dog is wearing a tag so I’m praying for a microchip. I have $10 on me so I swing back by my house (it added a minute) and grab $500 – cash or charge only at this clinic.

As I arrive the assistant opens the door and says that she just had the owner on the phone. She had called the Humane Society and they told her they had a report of a dog being hit and that it was being taken to the emergency vet (I could of called them but their response time without criticizing them – isn’t always that great and they’d still have to make the same drive I did). She contacts the owner and she comes down. She was also extremely grateful. The dog is bleeding but they are just scrapes and everyone will be OK.

Her sister had come to visit her and had come in the back gate but didn’t latch it despite the gate having two latches to avoid this situation. Within minutes of letting the dogs out into the yard the owner had realized something was wrong but by then it was probably already too late.

I love dogs and if I didn’t have my best buddy by me when I hurt my back and spent at least three months in intense pain before surgery I don’t know what I would of done. Still it’s getting nuts and I know it. I’m already known as the dog guy at work because I put dog pictures up on our internal bulletin board every October for Adopt A Shelter Dog Month, fought BSL despite not owning a pit bull, adopted a second dog when I went in to buy a tag for my first dog, am willing to lend out training books at work, went to Louisiana and am responsible for a few people at work adopting a dog. Yesterday I was told by another co-worker “my parents are thinking of getting an older dog”, they had a particular breed in mind so I recommended petfinder.com.

I’m scared to tell anyone at work I drove these dogs to the vets but I think her sister works with me. I’ve seen these dogs before at the canal and I know a co-worker occasionally walks with her. I wouldn’t do anything but help these dogs but I’m starting to think I’m the crazy dog guy. I want my life back.
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:09 AM

What is wrong with being the dog guy? Doen't everybody find it sexy? reer

Last edited by Prin; November 19th, 2005 at 02:17 AM. Reason: (had to add the "reer")
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if you are married or not,but if you are not...you are definetly marriage-material A hero in my book!!!
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

You are such a sweetheart!!! You sound just like my dh, he also rescuesdomestic and wild animals too!! And that is the very reason why I fell in love with and eventually married him:love: and probably why we are still together today, we both have a passion for animals, and do everything we can to help them.

Don't feel bad,be proud, I don't know if your married or have a girlfriend, but some animal loving woman will notice you and fall head over heels for you, because of what you do and the way you feel. :love:

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

WOW, I wish my fiance was like you. I mean, he cares about animals, and he loves the ones we have, BUT he would never go out of his way to save them like what you have done!

I don't think it is anything you should be embarassed about! All of those people and dogs are VERY lucky that you were around. ANd the sad part is, they just don't know how lucky they really were. People lose their dogs everyday, and many if not most, are probably never reunited again(at least where I live).
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a girlfriend and she loves the dogs, so much so that I have to occasionally remind her that ‘they’re just dogs’. It’s just that when we got a dog I honestly thought that the dog would fit into my life not me his. She does however say that we are nothing but three dirty boys. I used to wear expensive cologne - now I wear mud. We bring that mud into her house.

My girlfriend knows that I feel the perfect number of dogs for me is one and a half, the two are a heck of a lot of work. Yet one wasn’t enough.

She knows I’m a sucker though. She cautioned me to not get another dog. When I told her that the pound was starting to fill up with pits she cautioned me again. When I went to Louisiana she cautioned me again (if she didn’t I may well have that black lab pointer mix right now). When I told her that somebody at work had put a dog on the bulletin board because the dog didn’t get along with the new dog she cautioned me again. If I were single I have no idea how dogs I would have by now.
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:45 AM

But aren't doggies so great though? At least it's all for a good cause, right?
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
But aren't doggies so great though? At least it's all for a good cause, right?
Without a doubt. So too are many other causes.
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a 'crazy dog guy' honestly I would be that 'crazy pet lady' if I didn't live in such a small place with 3 boys, 2 cats, 1 dog and a whole bunch of fish, which I'm adding to, I've dveloped Multi-Tank-Syndrome, hope it's not catching. And my oldest has been bugging us forever about getting him a lizard or a hamster. I have a feeling he'll wear us down and we'll wind up with both. Really my username should be my real name as I can't resist pets of any sorts. Which is why I avoid the rescue forums, and sent money to help out the efforts down there after Katrina hit.
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:10 PM

At least with you its dogs. For a while my boyfriend was the cat guy. He's a building inspector for the City. Last year he took in a sickly teeny tiny kitten home and made her well again and now she's his best bud. Since then, all the guys on the construction sites let him know when there are abandoned kittens running around and he goes and finds them and brings them home... Its usually only a single kitten at a time and we've been lucky enough to find all of them really good homes (interviews and the whole works) as he keeps them long enough to bring their personalities out.
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Petfriendly,what's wrong with a man who saves cats???They are no less worthy of a love and care,actually no animal is.
Your boyfriend shows he has a great big heart and tons of compassion,be it cats or dogs and definetly a keeper:love:
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Petfriendly,what's wrong with a man who saves cats???They are no less worthy of a love and care,actually no animal is.
Your boyfriend shows he has a great big heart and tons of compassion,be it cats or dogs and definetly a keeper:love:
Nothing wrong with it, and yes it does make him a keeper , its just strange because before coming accross and taking in Tiger he had no interest in ever having a pet of any kind.
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:40 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

You can tell what kind of man you're getting in the way he treats animals. Twodogs, wear the Crazy Dog Guy moniker proudly, too many could care less, you're doing for critters that can't do for themselves in a world that isn't kind. Keep it up, many tails are still wagging because of you Oh and yer g/f is one lucky lady!
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:17 PM

i just wanted to say thank you for going to louisiana to help with the animals. We moved the day before the hurricane from there to california and its great to see someone help!!!

if we still had been living there i'm sure our house pet population would have gone WAY WAY WAY up. but all my friends tease and me and say i'll be the crazy old cat lady when i'm 80. they are awesome =0)