Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 13th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Question what to do!

..i have a 10 month old cat.. he's neutered... when i first got him at 2 months, he was good with going to his litter box, but then, he would pee at different places in the house (kitchen floor..etc) ... i hoped after fixing him it would change, well it didn't! and he keeps doing it, he goes to his litter box sometimes, but once in a while he'll poop or pee on our tile floors, or garage, is there anything i can do to keep him from doing this?

btw... i have another male cat in the house, almost the same age, and he's great at going to the litter box! .. i have 3 litter boxes ( 1 covered)
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I have the same problem I wonder if it is a male thing

You have to keep the litter extremely clean I clean mine twice a day but if I miss once you can guarantee Jerk has gone elsewhere by then .... when I clean them Jerk is sitting there waiting to be the first to do his business

My girls are very good never had a problem with them
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,I know why Jerk shows you his displeasure...it's his name
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

If he hasn't been to the vet to be checked for urinary tract problems, I would do that first.

How many litterboxes do you have?

Ideally, there should be one per cat, plus one extra. Some cats are very picky and won't go in a box another cat has just used.

If you are using only one box, try adding a couple more.
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:22 AM

My cats hate covered litterboxes. We tried it, to cut down on the scattery mess. They didn't go for it at ALL. If I am lax about scooping, they will pee on a rug or in my laundry basket. It's really frustrating, but mostly b/c it's my fault.

I would take him to the vet to look for a UTI. And then--I have a friend who had this problem with her neutered male cat. She successfully sort of "crate trained" him. She got a really large crate designed for a dog and when she couldn't be home and at night, the cat would stay in his crate with his litterbox and he eventually got trained back to using it everytime. She also got better about keeping clothes off the floor, etc. and keeping her closet cleaner. He *really* infested her place with pee. It was pretty bad, to the point that she was considering taking him to live at another friend's barn. So good luck. It can be a tough problem to solve.
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggette
I have the same problem I wonder if it is a male thing
And here I have never had this problem with any of my males.The only problem I have with Casper is he actually takes one of his poops and puts it on the floor,and leaves it there.....

Casper and Winnie share a big litter box.They don't seem to have a problem with that.

But as it was suggested,a trip to the vets should be done.
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

He picks it up in his mouth (the turd) or does he just fling it out? Please describe (in 500 words or less). Bagder is anal retentive, he buries and buries and then he gets out (the box is a bit small) and checks. If it is not completely invisible, he'll get back in and start again.
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

He actually picks it up in his mouth and drops it outside of the litter box.And I'm talking about one small piece.Can't figure out why he does this.
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I have a 13 year old male nuetered cat and the only time he peed on the floor was when he got FUS. Brought him to the vet got meds and everything is fine now. I heard that cats like to dig to the botteom of the box, so if there is to much litter in it he may not like it. Just cover the bottom, do not put in alot.
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually only have two boxes for three cats,but they are big Rubbermaid containers with higher sides(no litter on the floor) and the cats do not have a problem with them.
Unfortunately Rocky is a sprayer,whenever he gets excited about something.
I change my boxes completely every week,I've gotten away from the clumping litter,Vinnie always sits on the top of the stairs waiting to be the first one in to do his thing,it never fails
I've never had any of my males,just pee or poop on the floor and it could be the cat has trouble and pees whenever he can,I would have him checked out just to be sure.
I never used covered boxes because of the dust,they would expose the cats to more direct dust.
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Momof4and6furries

#1 cause of inappropriate elimination is litter box avoidance
a) urinary infection or crystals. Needs a vet check
b) type of litter not to their liking
c) litter box not up to their standards of cleanliness

Also if there is a particular place they like to tinkle be sure to use enzymatic cleaner - as it is the only thing that will properly remove the smell (to a cat's nose)

Also check if their is stress in their life when this happens. Stress can cause this (and then it becomes a habit)

The other thing to try if all the above are ok is feliway diffusers. Cat pheromones help to calm everbody down and can make a big difference. They are pricey but worth while.