Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM

Urg. Puppy eats grass and won't stop

My nine week old puppy has taken a strong liking to eating grass. Not just a blade or two, but a whole mouthful, dirt and all. She shakes off the loose dirt and would eat it all if I let her. I have tried to coax her away with kibble or treats, but she still prefers the grass. Even if I say no and walk away (stop playing with her) she doesn't seem to mind as long as she can have the grass. It is driving me crazy. Any thoughts?
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A little grass won't hurt as long as there are no herb/pesticides on it or fertilizers. Don't let the pup do this all the time though, and sometimes dogs will eat grass because of nausea.

Distract the pup or keep it on lead if it becomes habitual.
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Senior Contributor

there are be many different species of grasses. grasses can have nice sweet flavours, have lots of moisture in them or be used for throwing up. i let my dog eat grass if she wants, and it has never done anything to her, now i imagine if that is all the dog ate like a cow, it may be different
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Like Luba said, just keep an eye out for sprayed grass. I don' think it's a big deal about the grass eating. After the grass has been cut and Briggs is out playing she will run and scoop up and mouthful of grass!!! She spits most of it out, but she still loves to eat it!!! I'm telling her constantly to leave it, but does that matter, nope!
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:51 AM

throwing-up + Koda

Melanie, you mentioned that grass can be used for throwing up, well every time my Koda eats any amount of grass he vomits it up within about 15mins of eatting it. We have been watching him to make sure that he doesn't eat any grass but.. do you think that it is a healthy thing for him to eat and then throw-up ?
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Yup,
This is one of the first things that some wild animals do in the springtime. A natural cleanse. A herbal detox shall we say?
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

But what if it's excessive. Bulemia (sp?) patients have all kinds of medical problems from damage to the esophagus from the stomach acids. Wouldn't it be similar in dogs?
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

It wouldn't be something I would let the pup do every day.

Perhaps consider the food you are using and any reason for the pup to have nausea.

Is the pup being fed too large a meal? What type of food?
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

i agree qwith luba booba, if koda is doing it often something is making him feel sick. if it is not done regularly say monthly or less it is normal. dogs are natural creatures and have many ways of helping themselves and cleaning their systems. yeah charlie eats it to throw up occassionally, but mostly she just chews the sweet stuff up the back (i tasted it, and yup it is sweet but only when fresh) and you will see balls of grass coming out in her poo occassionally (but this is one food obsessed dog, will eat anything that stands still, so dont think your dog is not normal for not eating it, perhaps he is not the pig my dog is). never hurt her. but if koda is eating it really often, talk to the vet about his queesyness. CRAZY puppies