Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 13th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Dog trainer gets 21 months for helping inmate's escape

I have read about programs where shelter dogs are trained by inmates with very successful results for all. The prisoners learn how to care for another living breathing creature and dogs receiving training that may make them much more adoptable. It’s a win win all around, until somebody screws up. I would commend Lansing Correctional Facility for initiating the program in the facility in the first place and for continuing it after such a breach of trust. It’s nice to see that they continue to believe in the value of the program.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/12/do....ap/index.html

He exits in dog crate, she enters in cuffs

Dog trainer gets 21 months for helping inmate's escape

LEAVENWORTH, Kansas (AP) -- A woman who admitted helping a convicted murderer escape from prison hidden in a dog crate was sentenced Wednesday to 21 months behind bars.
Under a plea agreement reached last month, Toby Young, a volunteer who ran a dog training program at Lansing Correctional Facility, pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting aggravated escape and introducing contraband -- a cellular phone -- into the prison.
Young, 48, admitted she smuggled murderer John Manard, 27, out of prison on February 12 by hiding him in a dog crate in the van she used for the Safe Harbor Prison Dog Program she ran at the penitentiary.
The two were at large for two weeks before being captured in Tennessee. Manard is back in Lansing and officials say he could get 10 years added to his sentence.
Under the plea agreement, Young could have been sentenced to up to 41 months in prison, but prosecutors and defense attorney Jim Yoakum agreed on 21 months.
Prosecutor Frank Kohl said he was satisfied with the deal because it ensures she will serve time in prison.
Because Young receives credit for time she already served, Yoakum said she could be released within about a year.
She would not talk to reporters and declined an opportunity to comment in court.
"She's not happy about going to prison, but she's going to make the best of the situation," Yoakum told reporters. "I think she's living up to her responsibility."
Young had run the Safe Harbor program since 2004, using inmates to train dogs from shelters to be adopted by families.
Manard, serving life for a 1996 Johnson County murder, was one of her trainers. Prison officials have continued the program.
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I am glad they will continue with the program
I've seen"Cell-Dogs"on A-P many times and it gives inmates a sense of responsability and saves dogs from euthanazia.
I wish our"powers-that-be"would think up a similar program.
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw a documentary on this program and it seems to work for both the dogs and the inmates. They said they felt useful and some said this is the most special bond they have had in their lives. This program until now I have heard no bad things about it and am very glad it is continuing. I agree this is something our government should try it seems to be a win win situation. The dogs live and the inmates have a purpose and interaction.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM
-

I love to watch Cell dogs!It's so nice to see all the benefits,for the inmates,the dogs and the adopters who get a perfect train dog!