Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM

Hi! I'm new

I found this site while trying to find help for my cat who won't eat. She's an 8 year old calico female. I've taken her to the vet and they say nothing is wrong with her. She's never been finiky before and acts perfectly fine.......just doesn't want to eat. She's began to nibble a little and is drinking a little bit of water finally but I'm still concerned. Not sure what to do next.
I think this site is great and it's nice to see so much support from other animal lovers!!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Mare and welcome to the site I would post your question about your cat in the health section. I am not really able to give any advice about cats but there are lots on here who will be able to offer some suggestions
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Cat won't eat

How are the cat's teeth? Around that age, the teeth can have quite a build up of tartar and grunge and can abcess and become quite painful, and the cat may be hesitant to eat because it hurts. They can also swallow a lot of unpleasant crap from rotting teeth and this will make for an upset tummy. I assume the vet checked the teeth and gums? If the gums are overly red with swollen areas, this shows there is some degree of irritation or infection. Take a look at the teeth, even the back ones, and see if they are showing signs of brown/black (anything but white ) and foul smell, and this signifies some dental work is in order. This is just the first thing that I thought of after reading your post.

If the teeth are nice and pearly, perhaps another trip to the vet is in order and some blood work may be necessary to rule out other causes.

Another thought is: have you had any changes in your environment that might be upsetting the cat? Sometimes the smallest thing will throw a pet for a loop! Let us know what you discover.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:04 AM

I just poseted under the health site but thanks for the response. I have had blood work done and everything is normal. Also had exrays taken. I did put a new airfeshener in that room but removed it yesterday after reading different things on this site. I thought that may be the problem but haven't seen any change yet.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:05 AM

ooopppsssw forgot

they did look at her teeth and didn't see anything that could be causing a problem. One thing she has eatten is hard treats and i figure she wouldn't eat them if her teeth hurt.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM

Hi and Welcome to the board. Look forward to seeing pics of your furbaby.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:13 PM

Cat wont eat

Hi Mare, my little Calico won't stop eating. Not sure what you feed your furbaby, have you tried warming up the wet food, or changing foods. I found that if I am trying to feed my baby when she has to take medicine or wont eat that Fancy Feast chicken (purple can) with gravy does the trick. We are currently on Hills Prescription and she hates it so I put a little dried crumbled seaweed (used for sushi) not too much as very salty, or dried liver (purchased at pet store) on it. I have also had success with cooked chicken, turkey and chicken livers. Don't let it go too long if she wont eat, the vet may need to check her out again. Let us know how it is going.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM

Cats are picky...

Cats will starve themselves to death where as a dog will eventually give in and eat. Heating the food makes it much more appealing (smells better). Becarful not to over spoil her (with cooked meat) or she will refuse cat food and expect treats all the time.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM

she's nibbling

Charlie has started to nibble and I have taken your advice and I heat up her can food. In the past I NEVER gave her can food but it seems to be working so I don't think I have a choice. She is eatting treats to but I think she's out smarting me and is enjoying being spoiled now. I'm hoping to ween her off the can food later and go back to just dry food. What do you think?
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well you know cats, she'll definitely let you know!! Soft food is good for the water content and kibble seems to clean their teeth a little especially if you get a "dental care" human grade food. what is she eating as far as brands of food?
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM

Right now she is eatting a high calorie food mixed with fancy feast.......can food and her dry food is IAMS for hairball control.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM

oh ohh there`s that "I" word

I am always surprized when I hear that someone is feeding Iams but until I started coming to this site I didn`t know about Iams............... I didn`t feed it to Angel because she HATED it anyway........... now that I know better she eats Nutro and LOVES LOVES LOVES IT.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to this site.Beware,it's addictive......

I have a Calico at my dads.She is a very fussy eater.My dad goes through alot of different cans of food to see which she will eat.Phoenix will lick the sauce of it's the chunky kind.

Is she an outdoor or indoor cat?

Can I ask why you don't give her canned?
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Charlie does go outside but not far. In the winter with snow on the ground she doesn't care for it at all.
I perfer not to give can food because it makes it easier to come and go as I please and not worry if she isn't eatting. I got her from my ex husband and she always just ate dry food until I came along and starting giving her treats and tuna juice in the morning!
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Aha!! Fancy Feast. Didn't someone recently post that they noticed the company had been sold and the formula seems to have been changed ???? That may be part of the issue here. Try a different brand of canned food and see what happens.

Nutro (slightly pricey) has some moist food in a re-sealable pouch. Might be good atleast as a trial to see if the FF is the issue here.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:10 AM

update on Chairlie

It's been a week and she seems better. I still have her on the high calorie can food the vet gave me. She is drinking much more but I'd still like to get her off the can food. I guess it's not too bad. I only give her about a teaspoon or so in the morning and another at dinner time. Guess it's not any worse than giving her treats at that time of day. Just trying not to get her too spoiled. Thank you everyone for your help and ideas. You've been a great help and I appreciated the support.