Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
You can call me DOG!

What should I do with my walks

Well I ventured out for another nightly walk this evening and was confronted by the owner of the viscious dog. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60321

This time, the person appeared to be slightly intoxicated and approached me (without the dog). The question was raised as to why was I carrying a golf putter? I replied that I was learning how to hit snowballs!

This person then started to get a little hostile and wanting to know where I lived. I refused to answer and continued my walk with Gryphon, ignoring this persons chanting.

I'm starting to get a little concerned and wondering if I should change my walking routine? Should I not only carry my putter but my cell phone as well?

This is a route that I have taken for over a decade and have never run into this person or situation before. I have always enjoyed this particular path and it would take some time to re-adjust to a different routine.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

How very sad. I would carry my cell phone for sure, but I always take mine on my walks in case my dogs get attacked by another animal. I could never carry them home if they got hurt and couldn't walk themselves. Personally, I would change my route. It may be hard, but given the circumstances I would not bother courting trouble. I know you shouldn't have to change your route, but... I don't like the alternative. Good come back you had though about the putter
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM

I also would suggest changing your route for your dogs safety as well as yours!! But out of curiousity was this dog on a leash this time? I'm sure if the problem persist with a unleashed dog that there is something that can be done about it, but then again it may make the owner more hostile. Well good luck
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Definitely take the cell phone. I'd change the route, too--hard as it is, this neighbor doesn't sound particularly stable. I think I'd be avoiding this person if at all possible.

Do you always walk at the same time? Any way you could change the time you walk? Maybe just a change in schedule would prevent you from running into this person?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:05 AM

klmccallum as others have said, unfortunately you will need to change your walking route, not only for your & Gryphons' safety from the dog but also the owner. It sounds like this woman just might be the type that would follow you home because you are not answering her questions.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Call me a wimp, but given the bubba factor, I would go so far as to have an informal chat with the police, so they will have that information (both incidents). They will probably tell you to change your route, at least temporarily. Absolutely carry a cell phone. You have a right to be safe and to feel safe.

The person who approached you was a woman?

Last edited by badger; February 4th, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Maybe try a walking stick instead so that it doesn't look as obvious, its easy to explain why you have it since your walking. You can also buy dog mase as well. You can usually find them at drugstores now I think. and the cell phone is also a good idea.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

klmccallum i just read your other thread along with this one. I too would change my route, but i think Cell's suggesting of the dog repellent spray is a good one. Having been mauled by a large dog before i could physically defend myself, i can tell you how fast you can be incapacitated. Where as a spritz in the eyes gives you a chance to fight or flight. If Niagra hasn't changed their laws since my parents lived there. Once the dog left the property to follow you, he went from an aggressive dog, to a menace to society. Contact the police and the spca and fill them in. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with everyone here. If you feel threatened then it's best to take another route - even though it's your right to walk wherever you want. I would absolutely have a little chat with the police to advise them of the incidents - they may keep an eye on her and the dog.

On a personal note: I would not change my routine however I would walk there EVERY FRIGGEN DAY (but without my dog as I would not want anything horrible to happen). No one said I am the sharpest tool in the shed but I refuse to be intimidated.

BTW - I would make absolutely sure to have my cell phone handy and speed dial the police if she continues to harrass you.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Kitty pimp

lol ditto for me ben thjough i would bring as many dogs as a could round up
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
lol ditto for me ben thjough i would bring as many dogs as a could round up
very good point Jim Hall. Now that you mention it I would do the same. Maybe having a neighbourhood dog walk??
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
very good point Jim Hall. Now that you mention it I would do the same. Maybe having a neighbourhood dog walk??
Well it just so happens that my daughter's friend is a police officer. I could explain the situation to him--gather up all my good neighbors, go for a walk with them all and my daughter's friends father in tow too---humph???

Thanks for all the suggestions--I like Hazel's idea as far as maybe changing the time that I walk him cause I usually do go around 9'ish--maybe do it earlier? I may also take a left turn instead of the normal right turn routine and most defininately with my cell phone.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)