Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Moving- Need Tips!

Hi again all.

The week of Christmas my family and I are packing up and moving...... next door . We had to pick the week of Christmas because my hubby works out of town and is only home that week. We haven't moved since Koda was about 5 months old so I'm looking for some tips on how to make it a smooth one. I've read through some old threads and picked up a few good tips. One good thing that we have going for us is that Koda LOVED the neighbors that used to live in our 'new' house. They moved about 2 months ago and he still sits at the fence and waits for "gramma judy" to bring treats. He associates that house with treats, cuddles and lots of love. So next door is not completely foreign to him.

I think one of the first things I'm going to do is put his food/water kennel, blanket and dog bed in a bedroom for him (later I will move each to their permanent spot). I also read a great tip, to put a toy/treat in each room when he finally gets to explore.

As some of you know, Koda is diabetic. His blood sugar rises when he is stressed. This thought is stressing me out! So any tips on how/what to do to create a smooth transition would be great. Also, should we keep him in our "current" home until we're done moving the boxes/furniture, or take him to the "new" place first?

We also have a cat, but he's pretty laid back and ALWAYS gets his own bedroom, so I'm not as worried about his reaction. He just kinda goes with the flow

Thanks all!
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Doggie Wench

Do you have a few days to complete the move or is it to be done all in one day?
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM

We have from the 19th until the 27th to move. I want to have 2 or 3 days to get the 'old' house cleaned and touched up. So I'd like to be out of there by the 27th.

We just have to be careful what we move and when. I don't want to be eating in one house and sleeping in the other
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Doggie Wench

Then you have lots of time to get him comfy in the new place . Do you have a yard? That's where I'd start by playing lots with Koda. Then bring his bed into the new place while you do your cleaning up and moving small stuff there. He'll most likely sniff around like mad then settle down for a nap. I found it much easier bringing our dogs into an empty house and moving our stuff after.

When you do the bulk of the move, to avoid too much anxiety with people bustling in and out of the house, have someone he knows well stay and play with him in the yard or take him for a long walk (hint: that's how I got out of the lifting boxes and furniture ). He'll be so busy having fun, he won't notice the mayhem indoors.

Make sure that during the period of your move, you keep things on schedule and as consistent as possible ie. walks, playtime, feedings, etc.

Oh, and don't forget to take pics the whole time to share with us once you're settled .
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Thanks Lucky! I will try taking him for a short walk. I can't be gone with him too long, because I'm totally paranoid about him getting frostbite He will NOT walk with booties on. He will plant his body on the ground and refuse to move. He wont even leave the house . He weighs 68lbs so dragging him isn't working anymore It's been -27 and down to -37 with the windchill so I'm very paranoid. I'll try letting him in the house before we move everything in. I'll leave some toys so he can "find" them while he explores. There is definitely a yard, but again, I'm very worried about the cold. He LOVES being outside, he's tough to get inside through the winter, but as soon as he starts lifting paws as he stands I *drag* him inside. That's about 10 minutes. When he's inside he will have to be confined somewhere. Either a room, his kennel or tied to something, since the doors and gates will be open. Although at least if he runs home it will be close

We're very good schedule wise (thanks to the diabetes ).

I will definitely take pictures. Hopefully they wont be of dirty paws all over my new carpeting!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM

Hi all. I have pictures but will post them in the picture section soon.

I do have a quick question though. Koda seemed to be settling in quite well until today. Last night he even slept on his blanket beside our bed and stayed there ALL NIGHT. He was still sleeping when we woke up. Today though he has been sitting and sleeping at the back door ALL DAY. We let him outside and he just stares at the "old house". It is really close, literally just over the fence (I attached a pic for reference) and I'm not sure what to do. We've tried to distract him but he just goes back to staring at the old place. We're all cleared out of there, but have possession until the 31st. Would it be bad, good or have no effect if we took him back over and he could see the empty house? What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by danam314; December 22nd, 2008 at 08:32 PM.