Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM

DOG PARK Is there proper etiquette

I took shelby for the first time to MacLennan Park.. But once there i felt a little out of place. Not sure who was more scared me OR shelby!! Is there proper etiquette for a dog park .. Shelby,s only 3 months old AND ...Training WELL... its comming a LONG... Slowly... I tried to keep her close but . Bigger dogs where scaring the @#$%^ Out of her But we ...She had FUN i think
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I would say if you can go when it's not too busy that would be best for you and her! I don't really like dog parks that much and when we lived in Kingston, we would go to the park but if it started to get too crowded, we'd leave. Bayley isn't big on crowds of dogs and she doesn't appreciate being mobbed. If people would keep their dogs away from the gates that would make it easier.
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM

I take Scruffy to the park every day. It's the only place he can get enough exercise. He was nervous at first, too. I found a nice group of people and started walking with them daily. They (dogs and humans) became his pack, and his confidence grew.
There will be issues, but I think it's a great way to socialize your pup and introduce her to a wide variety of dogs and humans.
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM

I think that at only three months old he is a bit too young for the dog park for several reasons, equally important:
- one - his immune system is probably not strong enough to deal with stuff that he might be picking up from there, even if all other owners are totally diligent in cleaning up after their dogs....stuff gets smeared on the ground
- two - a bad experience might be too scary and might escalate his anxiety to the extent that he will be scared to meet other dogs regardless of the environment
- three - he might not be fully trained to recall and so it might be difficult to get him away from a potentially unsafe situation.
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM

She is not trained yet .. AT ALL I want to sign her up at wag n train. but i was waiting for her last set of shots.. Which she as now.. So i will wait a little bit

Thanks Tom
Old September 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
You can call me DOG!

I've taken Gryphon & Mollie to our park but only doing so by walking to it. It's about a 1/2 mile walk from home to the park and find by the time we get into the park, their both exercised and much more calmer.

Once (and only once), I drove them to the park and they were so wired for sound and way too hyper. It makes a big difference walking them first.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)