Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 12th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I am not surprised you feel you are paranoid,I would be too..
Especially with little Nanook,it seems to be one thing after the other,he is so sweet and I can only he'll be alright in the end
Thank you chico! I think he will be alright, I really do! He's been doing so much better this last week. He's still had a couple days where his tummy was upset and he didn't feel like doing anything, but overall he's been so happy, playful and actually energetic on and off

Hubby and I are both very hopeful

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am not surprised you feel you are paranoid,I would be too..
Especially with little Nanook,it seems to be one thing after the other,he is so sweet and I can only he'll be alright in the end
Really you all have been through so much who could blame you for being paranoid. Thank goodness Nanook was lucky enough to end up in a home that loves him and cares for him the way you do. He may not have been so lucky with someone else. You are an good luck on Monday
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you guys for all the kind words
I think we're actually the lucky ones though. DH and I have both learned SO much through this ordeal. And to be honest, it has helped us to remember what's important, which I think we both needed. He came to us for a reason

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Okay lets just call it a match made in heaven, anyhow you all benefited from this cosmic match.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Okay lets just call it a match made in heaven, anyhow you all benefited from this cosmic match.

Deal!!

Old November 18th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Update

Nookie monster has been in very good spirits. He's been a lot more alert and bright eyed! He's still having some tummy issues, but we're hoping that will lessen as the pred dose lessens.

We saw Dr. Marsden a couple of days ago. He doesn't know if monster has Chondrodysplasia or not. There are tests that would need to be done. He did say he thinks it's may be more that the pred is starting to really damage his body. He thinks the pred has not only degraded the muscles in his head and face, but also in his front legs. He thinks Nookie is "hyper-extended" and that's what is causing the clumsiness and weakness when he plays (or even walks). He has a pretty severe limp in his left front now for about the last week. Dr. Marsden did acupuncture and adjusted his neck, but it hasn't seemed to help the limp. As far as the things in his mouth, it is Pappillomavirus. Dr. Marsden said as long as Nookie is on the pred and azathioprine, it's not going to go away because he's much too immo-suppressed, so we have dropped the pred down to 15mg daily for a week then down to 10mg daily and hopefully we won't see any seizures

But everything considered, we're still very happy with his alertness and willingness to play with us and Thorin

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
-

Thanks for the update Rguerts, I've been wondering how the little guy was doing....keeping my fingers tightly crossed for Nookie.
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad he's in good spirits despite his troubles, Rgeurts! He's such a cutie!

he's able to get off the pred entirely soon with no seizures!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Doggie Wench

All my best wishes and prayers that Nanook continues to get better .
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww Nookie-Monster,it seems like a lot to handle for a young dog,but it's also probably a plus that he's young,just like with people.
It's good to hear he's still in good spirit
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, monster is headed back to the vet today. His stools have been black since night before last. We knew his tummy was bothering him, but didn't realize anything was really wrong (we thought it was just upset from the pred). I called and spoke with our usual clinic yesterday evening and the vet said not to worry about it unless he starts vomitting black or his stools turn to diarrhea, or if he becomes very lethargic and not wanting to eat/drink. This morning I got a call from daycare saying he had vomited, but just food, no blood.

The vet telling me not to worry about it (the same one who said we were feeding him enough when we were actually starving him ) did not make me comfortable, so I called the holistic clinic this morning, who called Dr. Marsden and he said to bring him in asap. I know black, tarry stools means ingested blood. That's never something to "not worry about". So, wish us luck with our lil guy today. Hopefully it's nothing too serious

Robyn

Old November 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

oh no,Robyn
What else is going to happen,I would kip that first vet,if he does not know black feces usually means something is wrong then he's not much of a vet.
the visit with your other vet went well
Old November 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Todays visit

Nookie had the visit with Dr. Marsden today. After 2 series of blood tests and an exam, he said Nookie is close to critical. He has severe anemia, only about 1/3 the red blood cells that he should have. He isn't quite to the point of needing a transfusion, but close. His thyroid has shut down as well. He thinks that weaning him off the Azathioprine is no longer an option, we need to stop immediately. He still wants to wean the Pred down. He *hopes* that the herbs he has him on will control the inflammation enough to keep the seizures at bay. We *hope* he is right. He has Giardia again as well and the stool sample has been sent off to the lab to check for blood, though I don't think we need a test to determine that. His stools are almost a charcoal black now

He put him on another herb that will help stop any internal bleeding that may be happening. But he seems to think the anemia is caused soley by the medications and that by removing them, he will be able to heal. He said if we leave him on the drugs, he will be surprised if he lasts more than 6 months. One good thing is that his liver function is almost back to the normal range, so the herbs have to be helping somewhat (his liver enzymes were VERY high 3 weeks ago).

I have to say that I'm not really that confident in removing the drugs. I just worry that maybe he's wrong and Nookie has some sort of internal injury that's causing the anemia. After all, Shaun and I both know that he eats just about anything he can get his little mouth on. If he does have an internal injury and we just go with the holistic treatment and end up causing more damage to him, or he doesn't make it because we made a bad decision, I don't think I would be able to forgive myself

I just don't really know what to do for our baby

Old November 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Doggie Wench

Rgeurts, did you share your suspicions that Nanook may have an internal injury? Perhaps an ultrasound may ease your mind before making any changes to his meds?

I'm so friggen sorry this is happening to you and Nanook .
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
-

Ratz Rguerts I'm so sorry to hear this news....you have such a hard decision on your hands. I wish I could be of some help to you...all I can do is pray
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Rgeurts, did you share your suspicions that Nanook may have an internal injury? Perhaps an ultrasound may ease your mind before making any changes to his meds?

I'm so friggen sorry this is happening to you and Nanook .
Thank you lp
We did express the concern that he may have ingested something that may have hurt him. Dr. Marsden said the herb that he gave us today is one they would use in the case of internal bleeding, so should help if that's what's going on. We did consider an ultra-sound, but the last time he had bad tummy troubles we left him with the clinic for the day. They took like 15 x-rays, a barrium swallow and an ultrasound (he still has a bare tummy from it) and said they couldn't see anything they would "hang their hats on" and were confident there was no blockage and gave a motility drug. That same night he pooped a sock covered in barrium. Then within 5 days he had pooped 2 more socks and a whole rope chew toy. If they didn't see any of that with all those tests, it's hard to think they would see a tear or some other damage

I guess for us, it's more the fact that our savings are pretty much depleted. I haven't sold my car yet, so that doesn't help. We could afford the ultrasound and x-rays, but if something else happens and he has to go to emergency, we wouldn't have the money to cover it (if we spent the $1,000 it would cost for an ultrasound and x-rays) and they make you put down a deposit for the low side of the estimate then make you sign a waiver giving them permission to euthanize if you don't pay the balance (which for us has always been the high side of the estimate) at the time of pick-up. We would be able to get a loan, but that takes a few days, so the emergency hospital wouldn't treat him. I'd hate to waste what we do have left on any tests that may not show anything. I know whatever is meant to be will be. And I'm sure I'll sell my car soon, so it will be fine. It just gets so frustrating to think we've come this far, and he's been doing so well, and now we may lose him because we've already wasted so much on tests that haven't shown anything at all and possibly greedy people who took advantage of the fact that we love him.
I'm sorry, I'm just ranting. I know everything will be ok, we just have to get over this hurdle. I may just go ahead and call our regular vet tomorrow and get him in for an ultrasound anyway.

Old November 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Doggie Wench

Do you think there's any chance he's swallowed some other treasures? Are the symptoms the same as the last time?
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Would he be strong enough to have exploratory surgery instead of the ultrasound and more possible inconclusive tests?
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Do you think there's any chance he's swallowed some other treasures? Are the symptoms the same as the last time?
Yes, they are. He started with being gassy, having small bowel movements and burping over the last few days. I told Shaun I thought he was going to pass something any day now. So I'm still thinking there may be something in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirela View Post
Would he be strong enough to have exploratory surgery instead of the ultrasound and more possible inconclusive tests?
I don't think so. He's been on Azathioprine for almost 6 weeks now, and high doses of Prednisone for almost 4 months. His immune system is non-existent which is why he has Pappillomavirus and Giardia. I think his blood count is also much too low to withstand it. Hubby and I were discussing that today. But I will be talking to our regular vet tomorrow and plan to ask.

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I don't have anything to say but hang in there. Know that we are praying for all of you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I don't have anything to say but hang in there. Know that we are praying for all of you.
Thank you 14+, that's most appreciated. We need all we can get

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,same as 14+for Nanook,you and DH
There is nothing I can do or say to help,this morning tears were falling for the little guy
All your efforts and your love for Nanook,just has to be rewarded..
I can understand the incredibly difficult decision you have to make,who do you trust with Nanooks life
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Ratz Rguerts I'm so sorry to hear this news....you have such a hard decision on your hands. I wish I could be of some help to you...all I can do is pray
Thank you so much Chris
We will take all the prayers we can get. We need them now more than ever.

Quote:
Robyn,same as 14+for Nanook,you and DH
There is nothing I can do or say to help,this morning tears were falling for the little guy
All your efforts and your love for Nanook,just has to be rewarded..
I can understand the incredibly difficult decision you have to make,who do you trust with Nanooks life
Thank you chico, and I hope and that it is rewarded. At this point, we're going on pure faith.

Nookie had a bad night. He was pacing, restless and even a little whiny at times. He didn't want to eat this morning, which is a really bad sign considering he will eat anything that he can get in his little mouth. He was so weak that Shaun had to carry him to the car.

We spent about 7.5 hours at the vet today. Our regular vet was so upset when she saw how bad he was. She had to repeat all the tests that were done at the holistic clinic yesterday because they didn't fax them to her. Her first thought was that he did ingest something he shouldn't have, until she got the results of his blood count. He is critical at this point. She said if he had an injury that caused him to bleed internally, he would have been gone once his blood count hit about 13%. Nookies red cell count was at 8.8%. She said with a blood count that low he would have been bleeding internally at a slow pace for a few weeks. Slow enough that his body adjusted to the lower cell count and allowed him to live longer. But at where he is now, with the symptoms he has, she said had we not brought him in, he would have been gone by morning. So I'm SO thankful we took him to see her and not just waited it out like we were told yesterday. She thinks now that he probably has ulcers in his stomach and intestines, caused by the prednisone and azathioprine. She agreed that we have to take him off both of them.
She did several blood and fecal tests along with x-rays.

Nookie had a blood transfusion this evening. Our vet said we will most likely be back in for another by Monday because they don't know where the bleeding is coming from and that the medication may not stop it. We won't be giving him any more pred or azathioprine, so he will most likely start seizuring again and the meningitis will relapse unless the herbal powder can keep the inflammation under control. That's what she is hoping for (and us).

I'll keep you all updated. And thank you for all the good thoughts, vibes and prayers. Our little monster needs them

Old November 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'm so sorry Rgeurts. You and Nanook will be in my thoughts and prayers .
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:47 AM

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I am at loss for words,I can only hope little Nanook will hang in there and get better,it's just not fair
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

and more! Thinking of you, your hubby and your boys.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM

prays going out to you guys
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just wanted to send some and good wishes and let you know we're thinking of you all!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I spoke with our vet this morning to give her an update. She said after a lot of thought overnight she has decided to leave him on the pred and azathioprine for now and just wean him off both slowly, as originally planned. She's pretty positive that if we just stop them both, he will definitely seizure again. She said with his blood count so critical, a seizure would probably kill him. She said after going over all the tests again, she has determined that he is losing blood, as she thought, but also that his body is having a very hard time generating new blood cells because of the immuno-suppression. She feels that if we can stop the bleeding and continue the transfusions while weaning him down, his cell count should be high enough to withstand a seizure, should he have one. It makes sense to us. She still wants us to continue the herbal treatment that Dr. Marsden has Nookie on in hopes that it will stop the bleeding and reuce the inflammation enough to get him stable and hold him there for awhile.

On the upside, Nookie gave us some good smiles this morning. Hubby took him out for a poo, and it wasn't black! When he came back in, he was bright eyed (the first time in days) and hungry!! I fed him some hamburger and rice and he wanted to keep eating. The vet said to load him up on some freeze dried liver if he will eat... and boy did he! He actually got excited and starting giving me high fives for more

It's amazing what we take for granted... the last few days I would have given anything for a high five from him, and now he's giving em like mad for his treats. We still need to keep him quiet for a few days, but just the fact that he's looking perkier and has his appetite again is wonderful

Robyn