Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:29 AM

Question Teaching "Leave it"

Well my sweetie Casey is sitting, staying and lying down on command, and I think before I go for the cute tricks like "shake a paw" I'd better get a few more basics down, like "leave it" and "drop it." I know my family had success teaching our puppies "drop it" although I don't remember how, and so far I haven't met many dogs who "leave it" on command, especially when the "it" looks really delicious. Any tips? Also, any other important commands that I'm forgetting?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Briggs is VER good at leave it. I use it for almost everything...if there is another dog that she's pulling towards, food on the table, poop, Connor, a squirrel...it works for almost everything!!

All I did was whenever she would move towards something that she was interested it I would make a loud noise - like a clap or something - and say "LEAVE IT" pretty loud. It would startle her and she would stop what she was doing, then PRAISE like CRAZY. That's it.
A book that I have says if you're having trouble with that and there something that they just won't leave pop a balloon in their face ( ) and it will startle them, then tape balloons to it. I don't think that's very nice, but a last resort I guess. I have been comtemplating doing it to a houseplant that Briggs constantly gets at...
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:36 AM

I am not sure what kind of dog you have, but in my experience, do not teach shake a paw. I will never, ever do this again with any of my dogs. The reason is because they have a problem with "pawing" I have almost stopped this in my younger girls, but the newest, who is 7, I cannot stop.

I use the "trade" command in my house. If the girls have something they aren't to have, I say "wanna trade". They come right to me with the item and we "trade" for a treat. I only use small treats, like cheerios etc.... My pockets are always full, as I have goldens and they like to steal things!

A great book that I call my Doggie Bible, is from Dr. Ian Dunbar. He makes a couple really, really good ones. One of them is called "Teaching a new Dog, Old Tricks" I highly recommend his books and I follow his philosophy.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

"Wanna trade"! That sounds really fun!! LOL, my Briggs is pretty good with shake a paw and she does high five too! I am working on wave right now, she's almost got it. But you are right Goldenmom, a lot of dogs are really bad for pawing. Your trick sounds much more interesting!!!! I will look into that book!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I just have to say,that is one thing with damien that blew my mind teaching him leave it was so easy,same with all the other commands i taught him,he caught on within a day of every command,i dont know if gsd's are all just that smart,but he sure as hell was,miss him bunches,smarter than most people i have ever met..
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:15 AM

You better believe it Heidi! Most animals ARE much, much smarter than people! No doubt about it. What I can't believe is how easy it is to teach an older dog to do things that most have learned as pups. My fosters just amaze me. Mind you, they had some role models to watch, which could have been some of it. They are thinking "hmmm, look at those dogs, they do what they are told, and they get a treat. I like that idea"

Heather
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

It is really amazing another reason it was so hard to give him up,i taught him so much,it blew me away how quick he caught on he had sit down in about an hour,leave it took about a day,down took one time with a treat,he was just amazing,i have not called her in two weeks i just dont want to know if it worked out with the lady that is seeing if he has what it takes to be a service dog,or if he is back with tina the foster....I will probably check this weekend..
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Put a leash on your dog and throw a treat on the floor. When she goes to pick it up, say "LEAVE IT!" and stop her with the leash.

Outside when she sees something interesting tell her "leave it" and walk the other way. She'll catch on.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking

Pop always used to say "You can't train a dog unless you're smarter than he is!"

Another thing he'd wonder about out loud, "Do they need us more? or do we need them more?"
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
Pop always used to say "You can't train a dog unless you're smarter than he is!"

Another thing he'd wonder about out loud, "Do they need us more? or do we need them more?"

Pop was very smart! Never heard these, but love them! Thanks for sharing

Heather
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:11 AM

Sammiec, that makes sense! The leash thing does too -- I just never thought of using praise for this as well, but it's makes so much sense! Will start today...

My pup's a toy poodle and I'm not worried about pawing, although I know what you mean. I wouldn't risk it, but since day one my husband (who is Korea and hasn't raised a puppy before -- which yes, does cause some additional frustration for me at times) has been wanting to teach him "Sone" which is "hand" or "paw" in Korean... so I think I kind of have to!

Thanks all!!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Shaking hands has always been one of the first tricks my poodles learned. My mom's poodle, Corky, learned just by watching Den-Den
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Just be carefull to only let him shake your hand when told, or it might become a problem.